Upcoming Release Lirr Commuter: New York - Long Beach, Hempstead & Hicksville

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Apr 9, 2024.

1. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

In what ways Matt, can you elaborate what you mean, thanks:cool:

2. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarifying this Matt, i wouldn't want that to happen as well. So for all the modder out there please don't do the wrong thing, we would want to see the end of license for the us commuter. I do really appreciate all the hard work you wonderful modder having been doing out there

• Like Like x 1
  3. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Wait so there are 287 M7 services and 306 M9 services so a total of 593 services!?!?!?.

Plus 32 with the M3. That sounds like a busy timetable.

But 8th gen and Series S only get 208?

Wow they only get 1/3 of the services, yet most are complaining about the safety systems, cost and crash animations?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

A bit of a shame not so many M3 services. Much nicer sounding than the M7 and presumably the M9 too. However the busy timetable certainly looks as if this will become the London Commuter or Dresden to Riesa of the US commuter scene in TSW.

• Like Like x 5
  5. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Yes I was thinking about this too. While I understand Series S is underpowered, and I don't want anything held back because of it, it does seem like a lot of services to lose. At least with NYT I have the choice between full or reduced timetables. Truthfully, the only problems I have had with running the full NYT timetable on Series S have been related to Sunnyside, which really doesn't matter much to me because I don't typically run those services. Of course, Sunnyside is much more unavoidable for LIRR. Still, I can't imagine being interested in a route with such a drastically reduced timetable.

6. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I understand that the M3 can be subbed in, if that's the case can you please uncouple it from the original route so players don't have to have both routes installed to use it,

• Like Like x 1
  7. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

And hopefully more stations including the UBS Arena in Elmont, three additional stations on the Babylon Branch to Freeport, and the entire Port Washington Branch by the future. This will b a new add on record for most stations: 54, miles (with 30 additional miles: almost 90 miles altogether), and over 1k services for all three trains (M3, M7 & M9). The M3 will not going from/to GCM, just Brooklyn or Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan

8. ice#6850

ice#6850 Active Member

It already is uncoupled

9. box215

box215 Active Member

it's 2024
    gen 9 consoles have been out for over 3.5 years now
    you want to play on LAST gen, you get last gen options

• Like Like x 6
  10. bakedpotatos.jm

I'm on Series X so no problems here just making a point there are other issues with the actual product instead of whining about price and loyalty.

And Series S is a 9th gen, supposivly and they have the lower timetable as well

• Like Like x 2
  11. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Series S is the biggest crap and a joke from Console

• Like Like x 1
  12. bakedpotatos.jm

Totally agree, everyone that chose to go budget are feeling regret for sure.

And MS for putting out a Gen 8.75 console but advertising it as Gen 9 was pretty shady. I thought the lower RAM would bite it in the butt at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pedro#1852

pedro#1852 Active Member

there's no point in wanting a console with price of series s and hardware of series x

14. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Just wondering, as an accessibility issue. For those of us with auditory sensory issues, which of the cut-ins specifically are non-toggleable in the new cabs? If ATC/ACSES are both stuck in the on position, fine. But I tend to keep the alerter off and work entirely using the visual prompts, because the more high pitched and loud audio of that alarm is too painful for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cabbepe#2092

cabbepe#2092 New Member

Well, just 10% if I got it right. Seems hard negotiating with Sony.

16. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

the most important thing for me would be that crash happen WHEN they would in real life - I am not trying to crash/derail on purpose, but if I do, I dont want to derail cos of a bug but because the train would actually derail in reality if I did sth

you have NO idea how this post that I totally missed in this thread helped me today... among other things, I have also OCD/anxious tendencies happening a lot, and there were posts that were like OMG Taurus derails at 220/230/250 kmh it suuuucks and such, which got me into multiday anxious spiral when I tested the loco on all kinds of tracks and conditions to check whether it is ok to drive (it is among my very fav locos of all time)... and after reading your response I was like HELL YEAH, the trains are actually derailing only when they are supposed to IRL, not cos of a bug or broken loco physics/model :) now I can finally go and actually really enjoy Semmeringbahn with one of my fav stations IRL Wiener Neustadt Hbf :)

thanks also for this explanation... it's supercool to hear that you work on improving things also in this regard, so I dont have to be paranoid about derailments happening when they are not supposed to aka when I drive properly :)

I wouldnt suggest making a game easier like this, but rather a different approach - if you fail, crash, derail, get a penalty brake and such things - it would be nice if the game provided you with some simple feedback as to WHY it happened, so you know WHERE you have failed and can look out for that stuff next time... like a teacher when they see that you solved sth incorrectly, they should also provide you with info on where and how you failed, so you see... and next time you wont fail :)

anyway, I will be archiving these posts somewhere, might help me into the future :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Princess Entrapta

Well, *sometimes* it's because of a bug.
    I remember for a long time I had one impossible service on Tharandter Rampe where the locomotive would launch 200 feet vertically into the air at breakneck speed the moment I put the slightest pressure on the throttle at the start of the service.

In general though, yes, if your locomotive derails, it is because you did a thing that you were not supposed to, which would invite a derailment in real life, like substantially exceeding the speed limit on a tight corner, and the game's simulation of the physics resulted in it leaving the track as the real thing would.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ē“«éŸ³ 鈓

ē“«éŸ³ 鈓 New Member

[Deleted; Insulting - DTGHarry]

The game lacks a consistent and reliable method to calculate the centre of mass of a parallelepiped... LOL!
    So much for the Taurus!

A sick, almost insulting joke, coming from the producer himself, causes you to rejoice.

But perhaps, to your credit, this is the sole viable line of conduct now.

Supercool! Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  19. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

well... if you blast at 220 through a curve designed for so much less, what do you expect? for the loco to just magically stick to the rails? :D

• Like Like x 6
  20. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The circuit breakers have been removed so you wouldn't be able to manually select what to switch on and off

21. Princess Entrapta

Here's a thought for a game-wide accessibility setting, perhaps assigning a bunch of the higher pitched sounds such as various alarms, bells, notifications, door alerts, etc. to their own channel with its own volume slider.

Looking at you, 385 door sounds, why are the sounds of the train departing from the next platform louder in my cab than those of my own train?

22. rennekton#1349

No occlusion most likely. Decreasing the volume for door sounds would also make your own door sounds quiet

23. Princess Entrapta

The problem is right now I need to turn the entire gamut of sounds down to not have the shrill piercing of the audio of the next train over opening and closing its doors. I already don't hear my own doors at all, which are about a quarter as loud as other trains' ones, in order to accomplish this. Being able to isolate more of the high pitched sounds specifically would let me still hear other ambient train and trackside noises I want to be able to.

In the case of LIRR, as it stands I can turn off the alerter but still use the ATC fine from the visual cues, having to mute the game's sounds and not hearing my train at all would probably be a deal breaker on buying the route.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  24. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Can I ask that Matt uses the small speedo in the preview stream so we can all see how DTG have synced (or not) the track speeds up with the safety systems being permanently active? The fact that Safety systems would have us running at one speed but DTG had the line speed at something else made learning the safety systems a pain in the proverbial and a lot harder than it needed to be.

• Like Like x 1
  25. foggy#2817

foggy#2817 New Member

It's mentioned in the release that there will be no new trophies/achievements for this DLC. Is it possible however to link the new DLC to the old LIRR trophies?

• Like Like x 1
  26. The7Train

The7Train Active Member

I understand this may be a big ask, but is there anyway an update can be done at a later date to only have the safety systems forced on when on LIRR2? A lot of us like using off the rails and if the M9 can't read cab signals from other routes, its effectively useless except on LIRR.

Thanks

27. rennekton#1349

They can't turn it off. That's how the license negotiations were made, so dtg have to respect that. They aren't allowed to under MTA's rules or they can't have the route in the first place. If mta found out, they would most likely demand the dlc taken down, make dtg pay a fine or even take legal action if applicable. Then we lose the mta license entirely and nobody wants that

• Like Like x 4
  28. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

We may have face the fact that in the future other licenses may come with the same stipulation that safety systems must be on by default and cannot be disabled. Because in real life that is how the railroads operate with the safety systems on.

I know and understand that some users will have problems at first but as you get on in the route, you will find that operating with the safety systems on is enjoyable.

• Like Like x 2
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It could have been worse- if the RR is really paranoid, they could FORBID DTG to model safety systems, on the theory that some miscreant who tried to steal a train wouldn't be able to avoid a penalty brake.

• Like Like x 2
  30. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

You don't know what the license does and does not say. Don't speak on behalf of DTG.

31. pedro#1852

pedro#1852 Active Member

I think it's absurd that we are all penalized for the fact that a bunch of reckless people decided to rob a train
    if it is possible to activate the cabin without the master key, the mta should fix this vulnerability instead of penalizing all tsw players by forcing us to live with annoying security alerts
    yes, I know that in real life security systems are always on but tsw, no matter how realistic it tries to be, is still a game

32. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

According to the news report someone linked earlier in this thread, someone sold them the key.

I'm guessing in this digital age they need to add two-factor authentication, although in reality MTA saw the theft in progress and the first light it could have met was a red which would have resulted in a safety system automatic stop, which will be why they don't want DTG showing how to disable those.

33. The7Train

The7Train Active Member

That's for the LIRR2 route itself, I'm assuming. There's no concern with them being off if its on a completely different route, which was my point.

34. Michael Newbury

Sadly he does know that and we were all told that by DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  35. eldomtom2

No, he is extrapolating far beyond what DTG said.

36. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

No. In this instance he's drawing reasonable conclusions from what Matt P. has said more than once.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Michael Newbury

38. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

Can you provide freight service?
    Wikipedia source:

Freight service lines
    Four non-electrified lines are used only by freight, they are operated by the New York & Atlantic Railway.

Long Island City ā€“ Southold:

This 90-mile main line serves the following stations: Long Island City, Jamaica, Queens Village, New Hyde Park, Westbury, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale, Wyandanch, Deer Park, Brentwood, Central Islip, Holtsville Medford Yaphank Upton Calverton Riverhead, Mattituck and Southold.

Montauk Branch, we don't have it so we don't need it.

Bay Ridge Branch, we don't have it so we don't need it.

Bushwick Branch, we don't have it so we don't need it.

Port Jefferson Branch, we don't have it so we don't need it.

West Hempstead Branch, we don't have it so we don't need it.

Garden City-Mitchel Field Secondary:

This line is a small remnant of the Central Branch; it branches off the Hempstead Branch from Garden City Station and serves Uniondale near Hofstra University and the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. This line does not accommodate any NYAR trains.

As you can see there are many freight services!!

39. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

It was stated as part of the liscence that Safety Systems have to be on permanently. Its not going to be everyones cup of tea (especially mine as I hate tea and I also hate the American Safety Systems.... I mean I thought PZB was hard to get my head round but Geez).

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  40. eldomtom2

Do I have to explain again that they were talking about safety systems when the M9 is used on other routes, which DTG hasn't said anything about?

41. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

Only if you can explain to us how showing people how to disable safety systems on the M9 when used on other routes would somehow meet the licencing requirement for DTG not to show players how to disable safety systems.

• Like Like x 3
  42. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

It was stated by Matt(can't remember if it's this thread or not), that the rolling stock for this route are hard wired for safety systems on for this route and any other you tried to run it on, while any other rolling stock and be run in off the rails mode on this route without safety systems.......

43. andy#5135

andy#5135 Member

1. Matt has already mentioned that the timetable is packed (with reduced timetables for Gen 8 consoles), so adding additional services would be extremely unlikely.
    2. The Route is named LIRR Commuter, so is restricted to commuter-only (and not freight) services.

44. eldomtom2

You don't know the details of the licensing requirement.
    I somehow doubt PZB etc. are installed on the M9...

45. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

It's clearly not meant to be used anywhere that the safety systems won't work on, any muppet can see that, the route itself is not hard locked by the safety system, any thing you want will run on it........

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  46. Michael Newbury

It seems to be that you are the only one here who does not understand the licensing agreement in order to make this route.

• Like Like x 4
  47. pedro#1852

pedro#1852 Active Member

so the security systems only refer to the updated m7 and m9 and not the route?

48. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

True. But in my experience, running ATC/ACSES-equipped locos outside their prescribed routes, and turning the system on, defaults to a permanent "Restricting" condition of 20 mph, enforced by penalty braking.

49. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

I'm on PC and I want everything.
    I don't play on console and it's not my problem if you can't have all the layers.
    Why do we always have to be penalized because of consoles?
    Make two versions as you did for a certain route where you can choose the complete layers or not.

50. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

If freight was outside of the scope of the original project plan, then no amount of ā€œIā€™m on PC, and I want the freedom to melt my CPU if I want to!ā€ is going to lead to freight, which was never going to be included, being added.

• Like Like x 5