Lirr M3 Deadman Switch

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rtrain__, May 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rtrain__

rtrain__ New Member

I think it would be cool if the M3 had a deadman feature similar to real life where it activates anytime the Master Controller is released and not in Max Brake where you have to keep a certain key (maybe S on keyboard and Left Trigger on Controller) pressed to hold down the Master Controller

• Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You mean you want to hold down one key on your keyboard constantly for the entire time you are driving the train, in case you fall asleep when playing, to save your pixellated passengers from certain doom? Having to do that would be extremely irritating. As a safety device it’s a necessity in a real train but would just get in the way of enjoyment when pretending to drive a train, and would be pointless as there is no need for it. And everything on a controller is already used for other controls.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rtrain__

rtrain__ New Member

Yes, but it adds to the realism, the same way the Alerter on the M7 does.

Also, the Deadman Switch activates if the Master Controller isn't in Max Brake, so when you stop, you can let go.

The Left Trigger is unused on single handle trains like the M3 and M7.

4. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

This should be added but with the option to have it on or off.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If they did it for the M3 they would have to do it for all the other trains that have similar devices. Imagine using your DSD where you have to keep a button pressed down continually and then release it briefly when the beep goes off. Imagine driving the Class 101 with all the controls that entails while also having to keep one key pressed continually. It’s an impractical thing to have to do and there is no reason to have it implemented in the game. The extra programming for the handful of people who would use such a ridiculous feature is not worth it. 99.94% of players would have it turned off, and that’s a conservative estimate.

6. TrainSim_Fan

Where did you get that percentage. Did it appear from thin air or dis you just add to try and prove a point. Did you perform a survey. NO YOU DIDNT.

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I said it was an estimate, an educated guess based on the ridiculousness of having to keep a key held down for the entirety of a journey for no practical reason. I think I may have picked a number that was too low, so I’m revising it up to 99.98%. Oh, and there’s no need to shout, I know full well I didn’t perform a survey.

8. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I think that you will find that stujoy is completely right. This is not a good idea. It doesn't add realism, because in reality you don't drive a train with a wireless gamepad/keyboard.

If, for any reason, your wireless connection is interrupted, then you will set off the emergency brakes on the train. Since this is very likely to happen very frequently... to implement your idea you would only be able to play the game with a wired controller/keyboard.

But even with wired controllers, it would be a real pain to scan for the continued key-press, and pressing any other key on the keyboard or gamepad could cause the "deadman key" to briefly not be detected.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TrainSim_Fan

1. Stujoy an educated guess .94%??????????????
    2.Plastic Pal if you have an issue with driving a train with keypad do what I did and get a rail driver.
    3. A dead mans switch does a realism because it's their in real life.
    4. Deal with the facts.

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Oh you’re digging a hole there is no way out of if your ideas are going to get more ridiculous, wrongly quoted, with bullet points, including such wisdom as ‘Deal with the facts.’

Plastic Pal raised even better reasons than I did to not have a deadman’s button in TSW and you replied with ‘get a rail driver.’ That’s not even supported in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

The point that I am making is that there are some limits, in a simulation made for general consumer platforms like PC/XBox/PS4.....

If you go through driver training on a real simulator in a depot or traincare facility, then you will be disappointed to know that the simulator rig is often just at an office desk, with an office chair...in an office.

There's no fan blowing wind in your face. There's no G force on your chair as you accelerate/brake. And you can't fry yourself some eggs and bacon on the stove.

12. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Keeping your finger pressed on one button just isn't practical, I've no desire to get any form of white finger thanks.
    I'm old and creaky enough without losing my finger dexterity!

• Like Like x 2
  13. TrainSim_Fan

Stujoy it wasn't my idea in the first place so let's get our facts right shall we.

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Okay, facts. It is a fact that you post too much. You have tried to start an argument by shouting at me in a post. You are new here and I wouldn’t want you to get off on the wrong foot. Act like that with me and I will report you to the moderators.

That was the post I am referring to.

15. TrainSim_Fan

Fine, fair point. BTW It wasn't intended as shouting instead to take it stand out at first glance. XD

• Like Like x 1