Little Question From A Beginner Railway Worker (in The Game)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by francoisboucher43, Sep 14, 2021.

1. francoisboucher43

francoisboucher43 New Member

This is a question for the brakes.
    Which between automatic brake and independent brake should I use to play realistically?

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Depends on the situation
    One brake will brake the whole train (ie if the carriages or wagons have their own brakes then the whole train will brake)
    The other will only brake the loco (or locos), so even if the remainder of the train has brakes too these won't be activated

So when you're loco only (depot moves or running around) use the loco brake, when running a full train use the other one
    The loco brake will generally work quicker than the full train brake

• Like Like x 2
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The brakes vary between trains, but usually one of the brake options controls just the loco and one controls the whole train. When you switch between them, the relevant bit of the HUD highlights so you can see which is which (one has a loco icon, one a loco and carriage). The loco brake will stop the loco with less fuss and usually releases quicker, but will be less effective at stopping when there are a load of carriages attached.

HUD.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. francoisboucher43

Okay, thank you very much for your answers! I understand better the role of the different brakes now.
    It's a difficult game to learn all the functions of a train, but I love learning new things.
    I absolutely do not regret my purchase. It's a great game !!!

Sorry for my awkward English at times. I am French Canadian

• Like Like x 3
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You're welcome, and your english is perfectly understandable (much better than my French would be)

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Note though that because the train brake is usually slow to apply and very slow to release, even with a train of cars behind you the loco (independent) brake is often more useful for making small speed reductions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. francoisboucher43

Ok, thank you very much for your reply! Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun right now because I'm learning a lot

8. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that the loco or independent brake is generally only used when the loco is running light. When there’s a consist behind your engine and you apply the train brake, the brakes on the loco apply as well. Unless you are coming to a stop, you should “ bail off” the loco brake by moving the lever beyond release where it will spring back. This keeps the loco wheels from skidding.

I have no real in cab experience and I am happy to defer to those on this forum who know more than I do.

Welcome to the game! Learning to handle long and heavy North American freight trains is fun. Here is a great train handling tutorial out out by anthony.wood of Searchlight Simulations (they produce amazing content for TS):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOaTEyELvLt9IGHfymixqQ

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While the loco brake should be avoided with a heavy consist, and not applied severely unless running light, its effects vis a vis the train are little different from the dynamic brake: loco alone holding the cars back. So not an issue if used merely as a drag brake to bleed off a little speed. (NB: 'bailing off" the indy is only possible with US locos; European brakes don't have that function)

• Like Like x 2
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

wait until you start playing with PZB and SIFA in Germany. We will be waiting for your questions then. (YouTube train sim and Matts tutorials are your friend then). :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. francoisboucher43

Precisely, I have absolutely no idea what these functions are used for... lolll. The developers don't help newbies at all ... lolll

For the videos on youtube, I don't understand English well enough. I am using Google translate to write to you.

12. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

PZB is related to the signals, as some of them require you to drive at a speed that may be lower than the track limit, and so you must let the signals know that you have seen them. It's a little bit complicated, hopefully you find a guide/video that you can understand. SIFA is an alarm that will go off I think every 30 seconds, and you must press a button to acknowledge it, just to let the train know you are still alive, alert and in control.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. francoisboucher43

Ohhh okay, thank you very much for your response. I just posted a thread to try to understand these functions. Too bad there are no tutorial videos in French to explain it correctly.

14. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Try to understand it gradually, and then you can be the first one to post a guide in French and help your fellow French speaking players :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. francoisboucher43

Yes why not !!:)

• Like Like x 2