Liverpool Lime Street To Crewe - There Was A Very Good Attempt

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by MrSouthernDriver, May 19, 2022.

1. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

so, the SOS preview has just finished, and my first impression are, this is a really good looking route, the features are really good. i mean Liverpool Lime Street, looks beautiful. for the first steam route ever in TSWs existence, its not bad

and i also do agree that DTG should have chose another platform for the preview, due to the sound looping/bugs

however...

the scenery is very bland and...flat.... some areas of grass just look very weird, and feel very dead. its almost at rivet level.
    but, that doesnt matter, sure, the scenery is quite odd, but what does matter though is the amount of dedication and effort they have put into this, the fact the audio team went above and beyond to get the sounds for the 8F and Jubilee, this project for TSW2 is definitely a project that will not be forgotten and will be valued. and this is a historic route. things are gonna look poor sometimes, especially if its changed a lot in 60 years. this is not like rivet games, this isnt a "oh lets create a route rush and release it 2 months later" moment, no, this is a project which has taken 6 - 8 months, and i value that especially

love it or hate it, the fact that DTG have tried a project of this magnitude is the main thing, keep in mind that this is only a first attempt at steam...

and that sound looping, is not to do with the route itself, that is a core bug which will hopefully be fixed in a core update soon.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

i don't it now fully shows to players what kind of experience we will get for people who play on xbox that we will experience the jackhammer and how it is with steam.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I suppose it's important to remember that lineside vegetation was far more thoroughly managed in the age of steam as opposed to today, shrubbery and trees near the line would be very limited as the trains were not only far more vulnerable to losing grip due to leaves on the line but also vegetation near the track was also at risk of catching fire. The line should look more barren vegetation-wise compared with a modern route.

• Like Like x 4
  4. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Very good point

• Like Like x 2
  5. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I was really happy with this route, one of the biggest successes was the fps maintaining a high raet whilst being anywhere near the smoke hopefully there isn't a huge difference with gen 8. Do the different liveries of the mk 1s randomly appear as I didn't /couldn't see many blood and custards on the stream. I can't wait for the release of SOS, will definitley be spending a few hours playing this on day one.

6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

This was absolutely the best decision in the interests of openness with players about what to expect. Can you imagine the uproar when it got into people's hands and they experienced it if previews had all been of the PC build?

• Like Like x 8
  7. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Can agree with others here that this was indeed the right choice of platform first to represent this route. Imagine if they did show it on Playstation to say, 'this is what it looks like on consoles.' And by release, the Xbox players would be like 'why the audio bug haven't been fixed, this is a terrible route to get, blah, blah, blah, etc.' So be glad they did show it on Xbox for the experience of what to expect, not the downside that it has right now that will hopefully get fixed down the pipeline.

• Like Like x 2
  8. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

best too always show it off at least on one occasion in the not too great of a state

if they always only showed the dlc at the highest then it just increases expectations to near unreasonable for most

if they show it on lower performance systems then anyone who has higher will be better surprised to see it perform better than expected

9. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I try to make sure we show it on a variety of platforms and be up front about the experience people will have, warts and all.

• Like Like x 6
  10. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Great looking route. But the jack hammer is so off putting.

11. Princess Entrapta

"We're not CD Projekt Red" - Dovetail Games, 2022

• Like Like x 1
  12. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

Any chance we can have a black & white filter added to the settings?

I don't think many have tried this but playing Diesel legends on GWE with the TV colour switched off adds a whole new level of immersion and being as how this route is straight out of the history books it would be nice to have the option to play the game or create footage that gives a greater feeling of, well, being there.

After all, watching all those old movies in b&w has far more charm than watching their colourised versions....so why not :cool:

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  13. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I don't think immersion is the right word here. I kind of know what you mean though. It would look historical

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Princess Entrapta

Could make for recording some cool footage in the external cams on routes like TVL