Other Livery Designer: Lighting Must Match Game Lighting!

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by solicitr, Mar 29, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is a repost from the Creative Centre area, but I think it should be emphasized. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is a project I'm working on; the one on the left is DTG YN2, the one on the right is my start on YN2a:

[​IMG]

But to get those colors matched correctly (or nearly so) in-game, THESE are the colors I wound up (after much trial and error) using in LD:

[​IMG]

Not even (apparently) remotely close. My first efforts in LD all came out absurdly garish and it took a while to learn the lesson, always establish colors first- and this can only be done by a tedious and time consuming cycle, bouncing back and forth between Livery Designer and the game (often with multiple reloads to make what you're looking for spawn)- and with two loading screens in either direction, as well.

Puh-leez.

Would it be that hard to use the in-game lighting engine in Livery Designer?

• Like Like x 3
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Another example, a game of Telephone, esp interesting given an 'official' shade:

[​IMG]

On the right is the default BR 423. The color, in-game, samples at H 4 S 90, V 98, which (allowing for the direct sun = higher V) is a pretty darn good match for Verkehrsrot, RAL 3020, which is H 5 S 91 V 73.

What is interesting though, is that if you take the in-game sample values, go into LD and apply them verbatim to the same train, what you get is the very orange train on the left!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Costpap

Costpap Member

It's not even just that. On PS4 at least, you have to close the game every time you make a change to a livery before loading into the respective route, otherwise you risk crashing the game. This is especially notable on new liveries when you haven't loaded into the route with them in the past.

• Like Like x 2