Loco Proposal/suggestion: Amtrak E60's

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, Jun 19, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

The Amtrak E60's were the first electric locomotives newly built for Amtrak. They were originally supposed to replace the aging GG1's, but they failed their intended tests. They were designed for 120 MPH, but they derailed twice during testing above 100 MPH, so they were limited to 80 MPH and mainly used on long-distance trains and fast mail trains while the AEM-7's saw service on the high speed regional trains.

They were originally built with steam generators, but they were rebuilt with Head-End Power generators. Later on, they were rebuilt to reach 90 MPH. In their later years, some were sold to NJT. The last E60's were retired in 2004. Two were preserved, AMTK #603 and NJT #958.

I think this would be an excellent locomotive to run on the Northeast Corridor! I think it would be excellent to include them in Phase II and III. This loco should also include a variety of Heritage passenger equipment (except dome cars because of the NEC's clearance issues) as well as the Material Handling Boxcars. Heritage equipment would include baggage cars, bag-dorm cars, sleepers, lounge cars, diners, and chair cars.

I sent a proposal to Digital Train Model (DTM) a few months ago, but I thought I'd post the proposal here as well. Feel free to cast your vote of this loco!

Below is a picture video of what the Amtrak E60's looked like as well as the horn they used.

• Like Like x 6
  2. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

Yes now were talking Dovetail make this a reality

3. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

This became one of DTM's plans after I sent him the proposal! But right now, he's got other big projects! He also says he needs to learn some steps of setting up an electric locomotive.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've always been interested in Amtrak motive power and the E60 is no exception. Upvoted.

• Like Like x 1