1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locomotive Headlight Flares

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions & Proposals' started by pschlik, Mar 22, 2018.

1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but I hate the look of the current headlight glow effect. This big blob of light around each lamp looks totally unrealistic and has the big problem that it stops working when you are far away from the train, making it look like the lights are turned off from a distance. In real life, you'd be able to see the glow of a headlight from miles away.

Now, what really bugs me about this is that there is already a solution in game that works: flare textures. Signals use this flare style, and not only does it look more realistic than the circular halo glow, it can also be seen from really far away. And it's not like this can't be put on moving objects; the EOTD already uses this! It seems entirely reasonable that projection lights on locomotives and elsewhere could be made to use a light flare instead of the darn halo thing.

20180322182238_1.jpg
    In this picture, I have the headlights on, but the only way to know that is to look at the ground. At this distance, any of the lamp glow is gone. But the EOTD...that thing's light is more visible than the headlights, and even then, its not as big of a flare as I would expect from the headlights.

[​IMG]
    And some real life for reference, at a similar distance, the headlights still have a very obvious glow, with more of a flare to them as well. I don't think we need any lens flare stuff, just the plain old light glow texture like what the EOTD uses.

• Upvote Upvote x 6
  2. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I never really understood the need for lens flare at all, it isn't as if we are all looking through camera lenses in real life, we are using our eyes.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
    • Downvote Downvote x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The reason why you can’t see them from far away is an Unreal Engine Issue I think.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
    • Downvote Downvote x 1
  4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Well, the technical reason behind it is that the current headlight glow effect is tied to the 3D model. What this means is that as the quality of the 3D model decreases with distance, eventually the 3D model is so low quality that the headlights are no longer there. And when the headlights stop rendering in 3D, the headlight glow also stops rendering.

An issue to compound with that is that it seems the side of the headlight glow effect is biggest up close and smallest far away (flares disappear up close and "get bigger" [relative to the train] from further away-this is implemented correctly on the EOTD as well). So even if the glow effect was still rendering even with the LOD out of range, it would be so tiny that it would not matter anyway. The current setup is frankly pretty wonky.

PS: It also seems the blasted bloom effect cannot change color. The ACS-64 projects blue light on the ground (LED lights) but the glowy fuzz around the lights is still white.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah. I agree. The ones on the ACS-64 looks good to me.

• Downvote Downvote x 1