London Commuter: Empty Trains

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by johnbirch#4603, Nov 10, 2021.

1. johnbirch#4603

johnbirch#4603 Active Member

I have noticed on a number of occasions that when I arrive at a destination - Victoria or Brighton in particular - the train is often empty. There are passengers at the start, but they all seem to get off before the destination, and it seems no-one gets on.

Its... odd. And the opposite of the "problem" of passengers sitting on trains that are going no-where.

• Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The passenger behaviour is odd that’s for sure. I often drive a Brighton to London service and nearly all the passengers get off at the first stop, Hassocks, leaving a nearly empty train for the rest of the journey. There are other odd things happening like on services where two AI trains join at Purley for instance. What happens is that two AI trains arrive on the same platform within a short space of time and passengers board both the trains and then the doors close. The trains then couple up. After the two trains join and the player drivable service starts, the doors open and loads of passengers get off again. They must have just got on the train for a bit of a warm. There must be something like the load and unload instructions not being set up correctly for each service or the system just isn’t working correctly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

You'll see sometimes that changing camera will change the volume of people on train. I've driven past empty trains that become full when you change from internal to external view

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  4. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Did BML eventually get RH passengers? It looks like it didn't, and the bundle isn't available anymore. Well done DTG.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Probably DTG have spent time getting the platform passenger activity a bit better and not looked at what passengers on the trains themselves do. A metric similar to what they have for the platforms determining how many passengers on the train and how many get off at each station would solve this, but that's another load of work to do, test, and retrofit

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m sort of getting used to the odd nature of the passengers habits. In some ways I preferred the old PS4 volume of passenger numbers where what they did wasn’t so noticeable because there wasn’t that many of them. Now it’s hard not to notice 60 or more people getting off at Hassocks and then 3 people getting off at London Victoria on a rush hour morning commuter train from Brighton. Maybe they are getting off to go and look at the village’s windmills, Jack and Jill (thanks, Wikipedia), because they can’t face going into work in ‘the smoke’.