London Commuter Extension Ideas And Thoughts

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cloudyskies21, Jan 11, 2023.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

While the subject of route extensions is a hot topic, I'd thought I'd present some possible ideas/thoughts for London Commuter - and would like to hear from others with their suggestions etc. Just to clarify, while it can be argued that SEHS was not a true extension, but rather a route completely redone, I still thought it would be interesting for London Commuter if this route had the same ever done.

Anyway, regarding London Commuter, I think multiple, smaller extensions of the route would be better rather than one big extension such as to London Bridge (preferably, this should be in a new route of its own like the South London Line, which could also include the Thameslink Core, as well as Charing Cross, Waterloo East and Cannon Street for extra Southeastern traffic as a bonus - but that can be for another suggestion).

Anyway, back to London Commuter, I think the most obvious extension is the Wivelsfield link (which is 9 miles of countryside with two rural stations) to connect with the ECW at Lewes. Obviously, without an actual route merger, if the link did happen, then I think the East Coastway route should finally receive the missing London services to its timetable (how these were never included from the start I don't understand?) as a compromise.

IMG_20210602_114352.jpg
    Class 377/149 pictured departed Lewes on a Hastings service. To the left is where the Wivelsfield branch joins the East Coastway All pictures taken by me

Other extensions which I think are realistic that could be added are the branches to Caterham and Tattenham Corner to give some of the Southern Metro services more variety rather than ending at Purley - plus it would have a nice contrast in gameplay to the previous busy section towards London.

Elsehwere, at Brighton, extending to Hove would add a whole new bunch of 313 services (we see these currently as AI, so definitely no excuse as to why not - plus the services are under 5 minutes in length), while the station would be the new logical start/end point for Victoria-Littlehampton services and vice versa, plus extra GX 387 ECS moves to Hove sidings.
    IMG_20210529_105613.jpg Class 313/217 pictured at Brighton with a Class 700 in the background

One other, but less realistic option, is to Horsham - even though on the Arun Valley Line, the station is another logical endpoint and is just under 10 miles (with 4 intermediate stations) after branching off from Three Bridges; Horsham is where a majority of Bognor-Portsmouth/Southampton 8/12-car services attach and divide to/from Victoria, plus is the terminus of Thameslink Class 700 services from Peterborough.

IMG_20211109_105343.jpg
    Horsham is the terminus for Southern Metro services (as seen above) as well as for Thameslink from Peterborough. The station is also where 8/12-car services to/from Victoria to Bognor and Portsmouth/Southampton attach/divide

Finally, while not really extensions as the stations can actually kind of be visible already on London Commuter, but would be nice to see individual stations added. For example, Reedham and Coulsdon Town (on the branch to Tattenham Corner) can be seen from the main line, but are not really modeled. Elsewhere, I was surprised it was not included due to it being right next to Selhurst Depot, but the addition of Norwood Junction is another good choice, mainly as it would give some of the shorter London Bridge services (plus the Southeastern 375 ones too) an extra station (and added variety).

One last station I think could be added too due to its proximity is West Croydon, again with a new start/end point for some of the services (instead of Selhurst), it would add some freshness and variety.

Other extension ideas that I've not included are the likes to Tonbridge - not sure how much gameplay or service variety would warrant this, but would still be happy to see this regardless.

London Commuter is my favourite route, here's a real-life picture of Victoria on a cold November day:
    IMG_20211007_132528.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Extensions would be great but if new trains are added, I think last gen consoles would be missing out since they don't get any layers. So the extension would have existing trains run those services so using the 377/4 and 377/1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and for Hove extension and Wivelsfield connector they make sense because it can make those services more player friendly. For Hove to Brighton service, it's currently done as an AI to Preston Park from Hove then Player control to Brighton from Hove. Here's a video of 1F96 London to Seaford being played.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Wivelsfield branch definitely needs to be included.
    Tonbridge would likely be better if included in a North Downs Line route as services once went all the way from there to Reading.

London Commuter is far from being the only route that requires extending or rebuilding. There are so many missing branches and connections on uk routes.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It would be great to see some extensions to this route. I feel some more "local" services from Victoria would be nice, I do enjoy the Reigate ones.

I would love to see the class 700 first though.

Sadly I think it is unlikely the route will be extended, it is already quite a large and busy route and I think DTG will concentrate on new routes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

London Commuter is already a big route and the only thing that it really needs to complete it would be a Class 700. It's already got loads of stations and is quite lengthy, with over a thousand services. The 700 would offer more than enough to bulk up the route. And extensions in this sense (the way that TSC has them) do not happen in TSW.

7. cloudyskies21

That's quite a good idea - I'd be happy with the North Downs Line regardless. Meanwhile, regarding the line to Tonbridge, with the addition of the Southern services from Redhill, it would give extra mileage to a few freight services which would be interesting, plus Tonbridge would be very busy with Southeastern AI traffic.

I wasn't implying that London Commuter should be the next or the only other UK extension. My point is that the route has a lot of potential expansion opportunities, plus with the route being popular and having the most epic timetable in TSW, I don't think there is no problem for debating extension ideas/suggestions for it.

Absolutely agree with you here, makes a nice change away from the actual main line services.

Yes much agreed. If I had to choose between an extension of London Commuter, or the introduction of a Class 700, it would always be the latter first. The 700, apart from finally adding services to stations like Balcombe etc on London Commuter, has so much opportunity elsewhere - especially being dual-voltage - for use on a wide selection of different routes, from ECML South and MML to the likes of even peak-time services on the West Coastway - as well as bringing additional services between Dartford and Rainham on SEHS etc.

Maybe so, but I still remain slightly optimistic.

• Like Like x 3
  8. cloudyskies21

I agree that the Class 700 is the priority for London Commuter and would indeed complete the route (though a Class 455 would be welcome too). I know that the definition of extensions in TSW is complex/unrealistic, more of a route rebuild like SEHS than simply adding more track to the existing route etc.

Forgetting the technical aspect for a moment, if there was just one extension I'd like, that would be the Wivelsfield link. With this 9-mile stretch of line now between two routes we already have in TSW, this void has to be someway sorted - otherwise it never will. As such, if London Commuter was ever rebuilt (thus allowing an extension of the Wivelsfield link - like that to Dartford on SEHS Extended), then at the same time I'd like other issues on LC finally fixed too, such as Reigate etc.

• Like Like x 3
  9. shredder

shredder Member

Here to revive the thread a little..

1) the extension to Hove is a no brainer. I think the tracks and basic station layout/platforms exist. Would be a small ask to include, but a big win for immersion - for the services from London that run to Hove, Worthing, Littlehampton and beyond, plus the Hove shuttle from Brighton. ECS moves between Brighton and Hove too.

2) Thameslink Class 700, with a revamped timetable to allow an accurate representation of its services. The Brighton services are the obvious additions, but the Horsham ones run on the BML too - which brings me to the final point..

3) an extension from East Croydon, through Norwood Junction and up to London Bridge. Southern, Thameslink and the South Eastern services are all present in game, and having an alternate (and realistic) London destination would be the usp of the update. Selhurst Depot would be more prominent too.

Knowing how the developers tend to reuse or republish assets, I feel this would be a plausible outcome, as the only work needed is two extensions - one from scratch and one already present (and short), a timetable update to include new Thameslink services, and the TSW4 level scenery polish/visual update.

I’d be stoked if this came to fruition!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ilba8765

Ilba8765 Well-Known Member

Yeah this are perfect extensions we've been waiting for.
    just let it happen,
    lets say yes to more Southern route,s

I think one from
    London Bridge to London Victoria as new route with a missing class 455 and a Class 378 Capitalstar for the overground would be nice too. And then all the additional trains that were already there (previous Rush Hour route).

• Like Like x 1
  11. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

This route could do with a remaster.

All I really want to see is Thameslink services as the route is otherwise quiet south of East Croydon.

Also, Norwood Junction is just past Selhurst and Reedham and Coulsdon Town are next to the mainline so shouldn't be too much work to add them.

An extension to Hove would give the 313 a bit more to do as well as more playability to those 387 ECS moves from Hove Sidings.

If they need to, they can always get rid of the 375 layers and the HST if that's a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shredder

shredder Member

There’s so many possible extensions, but where do you draw the line, between realistic and optimistic?

The bit between Sydenham and Balham, via Crystal Palace would also be sweet. Same with a short stub to West Croydon - for shuttles to both London termini in three variations.

The Caterham branch? Three Bridges to Horsham? Wivelsfield to Lewes?

There’s so many options.

• Like Like x 1
  13. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the OP. A really good selection of improvements listed here. However, the Tonbridge idea should be added to the destinations in a new North Downs Line route from Reading to Redhill, Tonbridge and Gatwick via Guildford, especially if done in an earlier era (Tadpole or Class 119 days).
    ECW should be reworked at the same time to include any missing traffic from London along with the missing activity at Brighton which currently lacks pretty much all of the mainline movements and feels deserted as a result.
    Otherwise, ALL of these suggestions should be implemented.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Migsithepigsi

Migsithepigsi Active Member

In my opinion, I think the best way to go is a huge South London Pack from London Bridge - Victoria, Sutton(+loop), Epsom Downs, Tattenham Corner and Caterham, which can either be merged (like a puzzle) with London Commuter or utilise some of the lines it has.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dan Hill

Dan Hill New Member

I don't think London Commuter needs much more done to it apart from updating some assets and scenery (my local station never had it's footbridge added to the game but did have the carpark it was attached to).

In terms of timetable it only really needs the addition of the Class 700 services (or if they added a Class 171 some services between East Croydon and South Croydon, ECS from Selhurst to Brighton and AI out into ECW at Brighton) and maybe some other services, if they could be squeezed in such as:

- RHTT
    - ROG Class 37 (a continuation of the Class 387 movement in MML and a new service with the Class 313, as the ROG 37's took them away for scrapping).
    - Railtours (last year just before Christmas, there were 2 steam tours in a couple of days, one from Three Bridges to Bath, which could be done as far as Preston Park and another from Victoria to Eastbourne and returning via the Tonbridge mainline, which could be done as far as Haywards Heath where it stopped for sometime or to Wivelsfield where it branches off, a second leg could potentially be added to ECW).

• Like Like x 1