London To Brighton - Initial Thoughts And Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 2, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Yes, I know I’m a bit late to the party, but I thought I’d still share my thoughts on the DLC after watching the first livestream. :)

My review of what I thought after watching the livestream:

First of all, the amount of services available. Just wow! Even with the 377 and 387 on it’s own, I believe we have over 1000 services to enjoy! I’m really liking all of the available services and destinations to choose from, be it the full length, partial services or simply enjoying the AI services go about its business.

I love the coupling and uncoupling opportunities we’ll have with the 377. This has been something that has been missing from TSW.

Another thing I’m really impressed with is just the amount of layers available for us to enjoy (sorry last gen console players) This is something British routes have been lacking a lot of. However it seems with this route, they’ve really made the effort to include just about as much as they can.

With the trains itself, I’m really pleased we have new and improved sounds for both the 377 and 387. I really like how the Electrostar sounds now when accelerating, it’s a lot more realistic. The same goes for deceleration, too. I’m glad the AI also has these sounds now as they were previously missing.

The dynamic PIS on the trains is a nice addition, and I’m glad it can also display calling points internally inside the train too. Just another thing to look at whilst riding around as a passenger.

The scenery looked decent too. Whilst there were a few plain looking areas, it was nothing immersion breaking in my opinion. Certainly nowhere as bad as SEHS.

A few thoughts and questions I have below:

- Whilst Matt was driving the 377, I noticed it seemed very bright and seemed to lack shadows/shaders. The lighting remained the same whilst travelling through tunnels. Was the cab light left on whilst travelling.
    - The interior of the GX 387 seemed a little to sterile and bright looking. In reality it isn’t as clean or bright. The actual lighting is a bit warmer compared to the daylight feel it has in TSW.
    - The PIS at East Croydon is laughably high. I mean sky high, that you have to look directly up. This is near the entrance to the stairs. Could this be lowered please?
    - I’m not sure if this was the AI 377 or player 377 but I noticed whilst racing the other 377 past Battersea Park, I noticed there was some sort of looping/cut in and out of the motor sounds?
    - The side PIS on the 377 seemed to scroll very fast. Almost too fast, to the point where you’d miss a station stop if you didn’t read it quick enough.
    - London Victoria’s lighting seemed a bit off to me. The lighting was very uneven - almost like there were several spotlights on the platforms. The lighting was also too dim and cold looking.

Well done to everyone involved in this project! I believe it will be the best TSW 2 route to date once released.

• Like Like x 19
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would add to your list that almost every station had multiple PIS screens, which in real life the rural ones would only have one. Better stations might have two but certainly not three (which I saw on a few)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I believe that was caused by the speed set throttling up and down repeatedly, and not because of looping sounds.
    They're fast in real life, but I'll have to check again to see if it's too fast.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. JimbobQ

JimbobQ Member

This video will give a general idea of how quick the PIS scrolls even though it isnt a Southern 377.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  5. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Regarding the lighting in the cab through tunnels….. I noticed this myself and asked the question whether it was a glitch or if the cab light was on a couple of times in the stream’s chat feed at the time but never got any response.

• Like Like x 4
  6. londonmidland

Comparing both it’s clear that it’s scrolling too fast in TSW. The actual text was more accurate on the older ECW 377, as opposed to the more thinner type used on this version for the side displays.

• Like Like x 2
  7. londonmidland

It was very noticeable whilst driving through tunnels. I can’t tell as to whether this is the cab light which has been left on or the environment lighting coming through?

CDE6DACB-251A-4729-81BE-68692E5E66FB.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This is a lighting issue - if it was the cab light, the light would be harsher and perhaps yellower.

9. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

It looks like the same thing that happens in some of the tunnels in SEHS where the interior of the cab remains lit as if it was outside in the daylight. It has been addressed for SEHS on stream that they want to fix it, that just doesn't seem to have happened yet. Hopefully they'll get it sorted as it does look kinda weird, but at least it's not a game breaking bug.

• Like Like x 1