Long Term Ideas For Dynamic Weather

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Texanator1987, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Texanator1987

Texanator1987 Member

Really like the new dynamic weather, reminds me of features that were available in TS Classic. Made a run today over Cajon...and got lucky...hit an intense thunderstorm right in the location one actually occurred in real life today. Rains are rare in southern California, but a monsoon in the mountains is not completely uncommon in the summer. It was very satisfying to "feel" the hot, aridness of San Bernardino and then watch the sky darken in the mountains as the visibility dropped to near zero in a torrential downpour. Most enjoyable.

As this is a v1.0 implementation of dynamic weather, I don't really expect much functionality. But if DTG are looking for ideas to enhance the feature, here are some things I'd love to see:

1 - More unpredictability - not every session with dynamic weather needs to have precipitation. Sometimes it would just be nice to see cloud cover variation. Or sometimes it would be nice to see it rain the whole time, but with variations in intensity. I understand I can choose options similar to this without dynamic weather, but it would be nice to still see change without the same cycles repeating.
    2 - More user customization options - Allow me to select additional options such as rate of change, amount of change, predictability, limits (e.g. I don't want full on thunderstorms). Or provide pre-set dynamic weather options (e.g., periodic rain, fair weather with variations in cloud cover, squall line, rain-to-snow winter storm, or unidirectional trends like sun-to-rain or vice versa).
    3 - Real weather - tap into an external weather source and create conditions based on what's really happening at that location.
    4 - Location specific weather trends - Off-and-on showers are common in the UK and Germany. Not so much in southern California. It would be nice if rain were far less frequent in Cajon Pass vs. SEH.
    5 - Make weather itself volumetric, not just the clouds - Have the weather visibly "roll in" and "roll out" like it does in real life, rather than have clouds appear and dissolve. If rain is coming in front of me, it should still be sunny behind me before I enter the storm.

I'm sure there's more but it's exciting to see we have a base platform now that might have the potential to grow!

• Like Like x 4