Looking For Trainsim Info. Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Routedirect, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Routedirect

Routedirect New Member

Hello guys

I'm just about to start Train simming ive been a flight simmer since 1992 so i fancy something different. Im looking at buying TS-2018 but what would the best add on to get if i wanted to take a simulate a journey from London padd to Cardiff. trying to simulate the GWR line then maybe Virgin trains after. If anybody could point me at what product to buy would be great.

2. hightower

hightower Guest

The only way you’ll get the whole thing is to purchase Just Trains ‘Western Mainlines’. It’s got somewhat mixed reviews but it’s a massive map...I’ve not bought it myself as to get all the scenarios you need a shed load of additional content (mostly add on locos).

You can get DTG’s Great Western Mainline which is considerably cheaper. It’ll get you from Paddington to Reading and on to Oxford. It dates from 2012 and looks a bit dated compared to newer content, although it is cheap. With the right settings it doesn’t look too bad. You could also add to this the South Wales Coastal route which runs from Bristol to Swansea via Cardiff (be careful you get the right one, there is a Bristol - Cardiff route too)...this is currently 50% off on Dovetails own store.

The third option (depending on your PC) is to get Train Sim World with the GWE add on. This is definitely the future but it’s had a bit of a troubled start. It’s got sooooo much potential but is lacking a bit on execution at the minute. If DTG are to believed a sizeable update is in the offing any day but we’ve heard it all before. We wait with baited breath.

Unfortunately you’ve just missed both a Steam and Dovetail sale, get a couple of bits and try to hang tight until the next one, you’ll save a significant amount of money!

Good luck.

3. Routedirect

Routedirect New Member

Hi Hightower
    Thank you for your post ive checked out JT Western Mainline and it does seem to get expensive after all the add ons. would it work without these addon then i can build this up in time?

4. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m fairly new to TS myself and I’m honestly not sure. I believe you’ll be able to drive the route fine in quick drive but I’m not so sure about the scenarios. You won’t see AI on quickdrive.

My advice would be go for the DTG GWM;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208301/Train_Simulator_Great_Western_Main_Line_Route_AddOn/

And then this;

https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/product/439001/south-wales-coastal-bristol-swansea-route-add-on

circa £20 for the 2 of them.

The TS2018 basegame (which you must buy) also comes with the North Wales coastal route too.

Ps if you can stretch to it go for this instead of the standalone GWM. You’re getting a fair amount of DLC for the money.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/222979/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018