Lost Progress For Career & Standard Scenarios

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by malikrthr, Aug 24, 2022.

1. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I just launched Train Simulator and it appears I have lost my progress from the career & standard scenarios. Has anyone experienced this? I just recently installed some audio/physics mods & enhancement packs in Train Simulator. Part of me thinks the mods cause this issue but I am not too sure. It is probably best that I uninstall mods by validating the game files through steam to be on the safe side. Is this a common bug with train simulator?

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

This can happen after a crash having Steam Cloud disabled, or if you reset the score yourself (The button next to the Clear Cache button).

With Steam Cloud saves enabled this should not happen accidentally.

You do not need to validate the game files.

The file holding your progress is not in the RailWorks folder, but in Steam's. In my case,

C:\Steam\userdata\<SteamID>\24010\remote\career.xml
    (or default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<SteamID>\24010\remote\career.xml, but there's many reasons not to install into the protected Program Files folder)

This gets synced with the Steam cloud if enabled. If cloud is not used and this file gets corrupted, you have two options. Rebuild the file with a texteditor (depending on your progress it's a lot of copy paste work!) or replay them all.

First and safe thing to try is to delete your Scenario database by removing RailWorks\Content\SDBCache.bin. This will be rebuilt using the career.xml. If the checkmarks are still missing then there's nothing really you can do other than hacking the career.xml yourself.

How many scenarios have you finished approximately?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have tried the above but it did not restore my progress. Unfortunately, it looks like I am going to have to replay the scenarios. I have finished approximately 80 career scenarios. This includes the routes

Hudson Line
    New Haven Line
    Long Island Railroad
    Chatham Main Line
    Caltrain Peninsula Corridor
    NJT North Jersey Coastline
    NJT Morristown Line
    Amtrak NEC: NY-Philadelphia
    Amtrak NEC: Baltimore - Washington DC
    New Haven & Hartford Railroad | Springfield Line
    Miami West Palm Beach
    The Racetrack - Aurora to Chicago

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

If you're into some work you can regain your checkmarks/medals by doing the following.

Start each of the already completed scenario once and immediately quit. This will create an entry in the career.xml for that scenario.

Edit the career.xml, and replace "NotCompleted" string with "CompletedSuccessfully" for the given scenario (identified by its GUID=folder name)
    Change "BestScore" and "LastScore" from "0" to "1000" for career scenarios, Standard ones don't need this.

Having done that, delete SDBCache.bin again and start TS. It will now create the scenario database using the career.xml.

Just a side note, this will not affect the High Score list which is on Steam's server and is only updated by actually playing the scenario. Changing your scores in the career.xml will not have an effect on the public Highscore list. It just shows your medals again.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2022
  5. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

You know how long i’ve wanted an answer to this. I remember contacting DTG back in 2017/18 and was met with the worst support you could imagine. Thank you sir.