Luxembourg - Trier: Along The Mosel And Syr

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Mar 27, 2021.

?
  1. Yes, as it is now with the CFL 2300 and CFL 4000

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Yes, in a pre-2014 condition with the CFL 4000 and DB BR 181

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Yes, no matter the year it's set in

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Maybe, if it's on sale

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    A CFL 2300 and 4000

Hi all, I'm once again making a route suggestion. This time the route introduces yet another country to the game: Luxembourg. The route doesn't only run in Luxembourg, but crosses the German border towards Trier.

Contents:
    • The Route
      • General description
      • Cab views
    • Services
    • Rolling Stock
      • What comes with the route?
        • CFL Serie 4000 (Bombardier TRAXX)
        • CFL Serie 2300 (Stadler KISS)
        • DB BR 181
      • DLC
        • CFL leased BR 185
      • Layers
    • Conclusion
    • Pictures
    [​IMG]
    A DB BR 181 crossing Pulvermühle viaduct with an Intercity, still wearing it's original Steel blue livery, but with modern DB AG logo.

The route
    The route runs from the central station of Luxemburg-Stadt to Trier Hbf. In addition to this it includes the Trierer Weststrecke, which bypasses Trier Hbf, the line from Trier Hbf and the Weststrecke rejoin in the freight yard at Pfalzel, which will be this routes ending point. Including the Weststrecke and the freight yard near Luxemburg station, the route is just about 72 km long. Besides the yards at Pfalzel and Luxembourg, the route features sidings at Wasserbillig, and a DB Regio rolling stock yard just after Trier. The scenery is amazing, including the amazing Pulvermühle viaduct, wich has some amzing views on Luxemburg. The systems border between Germany and Luxemburg is just after Wasserbillig, on a small bridge. The German part uses PZB 90 and is electrified with 15 kV. The Luxemburg part is electrified with 25 kV, I'm not sure on the safety systems.

I am not sure what year is best to set the route in, because of the works on the Pulvermühle viaduct, which cut off the line for a considerable period. The best option seems to set it in the current day, with the extended Pulvermühle viaduct. A pre-2014 route without the CFL 2300, but with the BR 181 as standard hauling IC services would also be an option (I personally like the 181 a lot, so I'd like to see that one). I'd like to hear your opionion on this :).

[​IMG]

Cab views

This Cab ride goes to Wasserbillig. Note that the section from Luxemburg to Oetrange isn't accurate to this route because the Pulvermühle viaduct was being worked on for a long time, thus trains were diverted south between Luxemburg and Oetrange.

This Cab ride follows the same diversion as the previous one, but continues on to Trier Hbf. Note that during the time of the recording of this cab ride, the section between Wasserbillig and Igel was still single track, nowadays it's double.

Services
    Below I've listed important passenger services. In addition to these there are also freight services, these are hauled by the CFL 4000 and optionally the BR 181. The services below are for the current day. If the route were to be set in a pre-2014 condition there would be some changes.

RE 11: DeLux-Express
    (from Wittlich) - Trier – Wasserbillig – Sandweiler-Contern – Luxemburg
    Every 60 min
    Rolling stock: CFL 2300 (Stadler KISS)

RB 4800
    Wasserbillig – Mertert – Wecker – Munsbach – Oetrange – Sandweiler-Contern – Luxemburg
    Every 60 min
    Rolling stock: CFL 4000 + Dostos

IC 37
    (from Schweich) – Trier – Wasserbillig – Luxemburg

2 trains/day
    Rolling stock: CFL 2300 (Stadler KISS)

Note:
    Until 2014 there was also an Intercity connection between Luxemburg and Norddeich Mole. This one was operated by the DB Baureihe 181 or sometimes the CFL 4000 as far as I know.

Rolling Stock
    What comes with the route?

CFL 4000 (with Dostos and Freight)
    [​IMG]

The CFL 4000 is a member of the TRAXX family. It can operate both under the 25 kV of Luxemburg and the 15 kV of Germany. It can be seen hauling regional services with Dostos that look very similar to their German counterparts, or with freight trains. This would be one of the locos to come with the route, both if its set in pre-2014 or in the current day.

Due to their flat sides, they ware often used for advertisements. The 4000 can also be seen throughout Germany, and might thereforw be an optional (player only due to its relative rarity, no AI services) layer onto other routes. Both CFL Cargo and CFL liveried locos are used mixed, it is common to see a CFL Cargo loco in front of a passenger service. Both CFL Cargo and CFL trains have destination boards, which show either nothing or 'CFL Cargo' when used in freight service. It should come to the game in both CFL and CFL Cargo liveries, in addition to this it could also come with the "100 years Luxembourg station" livery on 4020, like the Trainbow on SEH. There are more advertisement liveries available, but this one seems most likely due to licensing. More info on wikipedia.
    [​IMG]
    A CFL Cargo 4000 with a train with truck trailers somewhere in Hessen, these might be an option for the freight wagon that comes with the route.

[​IMG]
    The 100 years Luxembourg station livery

[​IMG]
    a CFL Dosto

CFL 2300
    [​IMG]

The CFL 2300 is a member of the Stadler KISS double deck EMU family. Like the 4000 it can operate both under 25 and 15 kV overhead wires. It would be the second loco/unit to come with the route if it's set in the current day. On the German side of the route it operates using PZB 90, in Luxemburg it uses ETCS. They mainly operate the international RE services, coupling to a German domestic service in Trier and then continouing to Koblenz. It can also be seen with an updated livery that features a grean window and door surround for the bike storage areas, this is pictured below. More info on Wikipedia.
    [​IMG]
    CFL 2300 in an updated livery, with green window and door surround to show where bicycles can be stored.

DB BR 181
    [​IMG]

The BR 181 is a multisystem locomotive built by multiple German manufacturers. It operated services to Luxemburg and France, but has recently been phased out by DB, though some remain in the hands of private operators. Untill the end it hauled freight into Luxembourg, and until 2014 (as far as I know) they hauled Intercitys to Luxemburg. Therefore this loco and IC coaches would come with the route if it is set before 2014 instead of the CFL 2300. The fun thing about this loco is that is wore many of the different DB liveries until the end (Steel blue, Ocean blue/Ivory, Orient red and Traffic red), which could be included with this DLC. The exact list of which loco had which livery can be found on the German wiki.

[​IMG]

two 181s still wearing the Orient red livery in front of an Intercity at Frankfurt (main) Hbf.

DLC
    I've kept the possible DLC for this route at just one loco. If you have other suggested DLCs please let me know.

CFL BR 185
    [​IMG]

The CFL leased a number of BR 185s. They used these in both freight and passenger traffic. These could be an optional DLC. CFL has leased different variants of the 185 from both MRCE and AngelTrains/AlphaTrains (from both the 1st and 2nd series of TRAXX locomotives), therefore there are many different options for this loco DLC. I think that adding the AngelTrains BR 185 is the best option however, as these are the most common. These locos can come with the Wegmann cars that were used for a long time by CFL, these have many similarities to the German n-Wagen. Regardless of whether the route is set in a pre-2014 condition or in the current day, they could be an option.

[​IMG]
    A 185 on lease in front of a Regional service in Luxembourg station.
    [​IMG]
    a leased CFL BR 185 with Wegmann coaches.

Layers
    Currently I do not know about which locos already in game or already announced could layer onto this route, though there are pictures of an BR 185 from MRCE being leased by CFL cargo, so this (if the in game MRCE BR 185 gets 25 kV functionality) could possibily be a layer.

Conclusion
    The route from Luxemburg to Trier is an interesting new route. Featuring a variety of passenger and freight services, and amazing scenery it could be a nice addition to the game.

Pictures
    [​IMG]

CFL Dostos hauled by a CFL 4000 on the Pulvermühle viaduct. Construction works had just started in this picture.

[​IMG]
    A CFL Cargo 4000 with a passenger service. This is no rare sight.

[​IMG]
    A CFL Cargo 4000 hauling an intercity in 2013.

[​IMG]
    Pulvermühle viaduct, the construction works can just be seen behind the viaduct.

[​IMG]
    Luxembourg station.

[​IMG]
    a CFL 4000 with Dostos

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 21
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent route and speaking of the luxembourgish side it uses ETCS L1 since 31.12.19 before that Memor II like the NMBS. Got that information directly from the Luxembourgish rail infrastructure document . What would mean is this in-game PZB Sifa 15kv 16.7hz German Side while the Luxembourgish side uses 25kv 50hz ETCS L1 post 31.12.19 before that Memor II. A tutorial level will be needed at the German Border Station on how to change voltage and Signaling systems. CFL4000 locomotive is basically a MSB DB BR185 with 25kv 50hz capability without AFB cruise control.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I know this would be too long, but I definitely love the Moselstrecke all the way to Koblenz, the route going between the vineyards from Cochem to Koblenz is really picturesque. :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. jolojonasgames

Maybe as two connecting (like in my route joining suggestion) separate routes? Trier-Koblenz could come with thr DB SuWex FLIRT 3, which couples to the CFL KISS in Trier (this makes for quite a weird sight). I'll add that part to my list of potential suggestions :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

Edited the suggestion so it more clearly differentiates between setting the route in a pre-2014 condition and setting it in the current day.

6. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

great suggestion if this would be added I would probably buy it

• Like Like x 2
  7. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Since Luxembourg is about the size of the Isle of Wight, and it has a very comprehensive railway route (including disused lines) DSCN2121.JPG DSCN3396.JPG DSCN3393.JPG and a nice museum for trains and another for trams (see avatar) I'd favour doing the whole country plus the route Trier (preferably through to Koblenz.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. jolojonasgames

Luxembourg might be the size of the Isle of Wight, but its railway network is way more extensive. I don't think that is would realistically be done as one route (even IOW doesn't encompass all the railways on the Isle of Wight). I like the Idea, but I frankly think it is impossible. After this one more Luxembourgish routes could be possible though, and it shares many systems and locos/units with France and Belgium, so the systems and locos needed for this route could be used for other future routes aswell.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

that is true now, but comparing the IoW in the golden age, before the rest of the lines were closed, I'd say they were comparable in size.
    [​IMG]

10. driverwoods#1787

Correct and as a matter of fact the old Eurocity Luxembourg to Basel via Strasbourg uses a BB15000 from Basel CFF to Luxembourg where it's switched for a SNCB Class 13 25kv 50hz Luxembourg to Belgium 3kv DC that was before 2018-2019 when Luxembourg Arlon line was upgraded to 25kv 50hz from 3kv DC.

11. jolojonasgames

[​IMG]
    In the late '50s they even tried to run these Dutch Mat'57s "Beneluxtreinen" into Luxembourg through Belgium, they sadly couldn't cope with the gradients very well, being designed for the nearly flat Dutch landschape.

• Like Like x 1
  12. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me however adding it in game you are basically confined to Luxembourg Arlon line 3kv DC with Memor II while all other lines use 25kv 50hz like Luxembourg Metz & Luxembourg Wasserbillig Memor II pre 2018 ETCS. That is if Dovetail games wanted Luxembourg Arlon pre 2018 25kv 50hz line upgrade. In addition to CFL 3000 NMBS HLE 13.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ILied

ILied Active Member

I have already suggested CFL routes here, so thank you for suggesting it again!

• Like Like x 3
  14. driverwoods#1787

How about Luxembourg to Metz that one has TGV Paris Est Luxembourg services and can be layered onto LGV Est Paris Strasbourg. That one is 25kv 50hz all the way but at the border of France and Luxembourg signaling system change KVB France to Memor II ETCS Luxembourg.

15. ILied

ILied Active Member

Not to mention local SNCF services as well! Although I doubt that it would be made this way. We might be more likely to get LGV Est: Paris- Metz/Nancy & Nancy/Metz-Luxembourg to simply make the route more manageable for everyone.

16. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Rode this whole line window down all the way it was amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  17. ILied

ILied Active Member

I think it was more SNCB/NMBS & SNCF stopped the EuroCity trains in 2016/17 when the LGV Est opened as far as Strasbourg (these services make an appearance in LGV Mediterranee as one a day does Luxembourg-Marseille St Charles via Lyon and north eastern France (and back)). I’ll dig out the train numbers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  18. ILied

ILied Active Member

Trains are TGV 9877 14:27 departure from Avignon & TGV 9896 departure 16:02 from Marseille.

• Like Like x 1
  19. driverwoods#1787

Ok then and those trains can be layered onto LGV Mediterranee while on the Luxembourg End the same train will appear next to the CFL 4000 & 2300 trains to Trier. If the LGV Mediterranee is not owned then those TGV Duplex trains sitting at Luxembourg station provided you only own Luxembourg to Trier route those can't be operated since they require LGV Mediterranee. If you own both you can have a 30 minute LGV Game Play and a 1hr-scenic ride through the Moselle Valley.

20. ILied

ILied Active Member

I was just saying this in relation to talking about the EuroCity trains and the fact they cease to exist now. And just to say those who want a connection with Luxembourg, these trains are already in the game if you own LGV Mediteranee.

21. jolojonasgames

This video by Alex E shows the daily operations of the power change on this route. Alex E makes great videos, although they're in German. I would also reccomend checking out his other video's, as he's also covered the Spessartrampe (from MSB) and a few things along Kassel-Würzburg, like Rohrbach Bbf and the nightly freight trains on the route.

I also hopes this makes people more interwsted in the operations on this route, aswell as showing off some scenery. It's been a long time since I suggested this route, but I still feel it could be really interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  22. driverwoods#1787

I agree but why not make this 1997 that way we can go Luxembourg to Mainz Hbf via the missing section Trier Koblenz Hbf if made then down to Mainz Hbf via the Linke Rheinstrecke Koblenz Bingen Mainz. That way DB BR181 owners can run Luxembourg Mainz freight

23. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

yes, that would be nice, then we could get the CFL 1800 (GM diesel) for trains Trier-Luxembourg.

24. driverwoods#1787

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I’d love getting the 181s as they also ran down in Saarbrücken, but the thought of even more TRAXX+DoStos is actually putting me off. I like the new stuff, but I’m so glad we’re finally moving back in time to (to my mind) much more interesting rolling stock.

26. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

27. Ilba8765

Ilba8765 Well-Known Member

Very good suggestion! They would in my opinion should concentrate more on content from Luxenburg - Belgium - France and the Netherlands, than just Germany as if that is the only one that drives in Europe.

Does anyone have an idea whether this locomotive would also run on these routes in reality?
    CFL type 13 /3013
    eztz.jpg
    etre.jpg

Attached Files:

• ert.jpg
      ert.jpg
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views: