Main Menu Overheating Of The Gpu

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHELBY230586, Aug 21, 2021.

1. SHELBY230586

SHELBY230586 Well-Known Member

Is it not possible to simply use an image instead of the 3D display in the main menu? I mean what draws so much graphics that my graphics card climbs to 105 ° in the main menu (GPU JUNC TEMP) the fan turns really high.
    In the game itself we are at 66 ° - 78 ° Celsius.
    I use one (Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT NITRO + SE) but also with the PS4 Pro I noticed that the fan in the main menu revs up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Try to set a FPS limit until it's fixed.
    Main problem is, as I heard, that the menu tries to reach endless FPS.

3. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

The same thing happens on PlayStation consoles. As I in the menu on it starts to spin the fan.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

my graphics card climbs to 85 °
    GPU JUNC TEMP) the fan turns 2830

5. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

I also have a FPS limit set and it's useless for the diorama as my GPU fans ramp you drastically at the loco selection screen (AMD Rx 5700). Never had this problem with previous dioramas and those where far better looking (MSB one in TSW2020 was just beautiful)

• Like Like x 2
  6. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I'm not saying anything regarding the design of the main menu, but if your gpu manages to reach 105°C at all that's on the manufacturer, not DTG. Have you done some overclocking or set manual fan curves?

7. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

No overcloaking or custom fan profile on my side. The only game where I ever hear the fans ramping up to the max is StarCitizen (optimization masterpiece game).
    Poor game design can cause GPU to go over designed limits during rendering. Ever heard of what Furmark did GPU in the old days before power limiters become the norm ? Even StarCraft 2 also killed video cards in the main menu as they where trying to render thousands of FPS without limitation.
    Some references:

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/arti...e-might-literally-destroy-your-graphics-card/

https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/starcraft-2-bug-is-melting-graphics-cards-heres-the-fix/

Maybe some console guys could test if the fan on the consoles also go balistic in this scenario

8. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Same issue. The new menu is drawing more power & causing my GPU to max temps - higher even than when in-game.

By almost every meaningful metric, the new UI is an un-optimised mess and needs to be fixed urgently.

Edit: Locking max FPS within Nvidia control panel has no effect.

GPU utilisation is 90%+ when in the main menu. Putting that into context, GPU utilisation is around 20% lower, and temps 10-15C lower, when in-game.

This is a UI optimisation issue.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SHELBY230586

I have VSync on (60FPS)

10. SHELBY230586

The graphics card is brand new. The problem only exists with TSW2.
    I play other games that are more graphically complex and my graphics card cannot even be heard there.

11. SHELBY230586

I would like to address the theme again as still nothing has changed.
    What is there in the background of the main menu? I observed the whole thing and took pictures so you can understand it better. But I noticed that in the predecessor TSW2020 in the main menu, although there was a graphically visible surface, it hardly drew any power.

So here's the main menu, the values of the CPU and the graphics card... you also have to look at the temperature of the graphics card.

[​IMG]

And here it is in the normal game when driving a freight train. the focus should also be on the cpu and the graphics card and the temperature of the graphics card.

[​IMG]

I can well understand that the hardware is getting warm in the game. but why it gets 16°C warmer in the main menu than in the game doesn't make sense to me at all. It can only be because there is something running in the background that draws a lot of power. it would be nice if you could devote yourself to the problem.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Um, that issue was patched ages ago. Sometimes it doesn't pay to necro.

13. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I monitored my GPU temps and no issues here with frames capped to 60FPS

14. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Heavy menu aside, I feel like no desktop graphics card should run into issues simply due to high utilization even if you were running synthetic load for several hours.

Just for the record, what's your case cooling configuration with inflow and outflow fans?

15. SHELBY230586

I have no other problems except with TSW2 in the main menu. I'm playing in 3840x2160 and vsync on. also limited to 60 FPS.

As already mentioned, only in TSW2 in the main menu... Also play e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K and don't have such heat problems as in the main menu of TSW2.

My case is very well ventilated and I also have the side panel off permanently because it is even 10 degrees colder

16. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

And are these other games using 90+% of the card's performance while keeping it reasonably cool? The point I'm trying to make is that your cooling should be able to reasonably handle any load the card is capable of running at and that avoiding high GPU load is a pretty half-baked solution to that.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

On PC, I have been running that mod that disables the player avatar. I have been running it for so long now I forget that it is still the default for so many players.

Anyway I think that is one of the main culprits of the main menu GPU usage

• Like Like x 2
  18. 5cip

5cip Active Member

what is the name of the mod ?

19. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Havnt had this problem also because use a mod to change the menus and loco selection screen. Capping the framerate though should help alleviate issues. I tend to do this is games now as some which tend to have FPS >200 can fry GPUs

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. zhexuan_li

zhexuan_li New Member

Encountered same problem here, at main menu (routes/mode choosing page) the occupancy rate of GPU fluctuates between 75% and 90% and temperature jump to 79 celsius.
    I've also play Euro Truck Simulator 2 which only have approx. 35% of GPU usage, also with 3D background. Also the frequency does not boost to maximum

• Like Like x 1