Out Now Maintalbahn - Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

If it's not working remove steam and reinstall it.... It's not a DTG issue for sure! DTG is not the owner of Steam that's Valve

• Like Like x 2
  2. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

Or Contact Steam support. But if you still haven't updated your Steam client this is what gives you the issue as indicated in your screenshot.
    Xander1986 is right, this is not a DTG issue, but an issue with Steam as a platform.

3. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

I would recommend you contact Valve's customer service, found here: https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithPurchase
    It looks to me as if your Steam client can't be updated, unfortunately I can't offer much help as Steam is operated and owned by Valve.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This route a great opportunity to dust off the good old DB 204 shunter especially with access to the docks.O wait that's right i'm on the xbox one and are DB204 still MIA never mind.Is there a MIA flag for locomotives?

• Like Like x 1
  5. dxltagxmma

dxltagxmma Well-Known Member

Playing Maintalbahn rn, so far so good, no issues, but I'm at Aschaffenburg Hochschule, let's see how it goes. The sounds from the Desiro Classic are really good too.

Edit #1: the main brake valve bar meter (Hauptluftbehälterleitungsanzeige) is acting a bit weird, jittering, I noticed it after I had a Zwangsbremsung

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  6. TKessel

Hmm...am I missing something or is the 642 not layered to other routes as it should be?
    The sound of the 642 is disappointing :-(

7. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Dresden-Chemnitz, 612
    kinda disappointing though as it's the only layer.

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It doesn't layer in but subs into one route

• Like Like x 1
  9. TKessel

Thanks for claryfying.

Crossing at Glanzstoffwerke and Wörth didn't close for me.

10. Link

Link Active Member

One word: WHY?:(

20231128202229_1.jpg 20231128202233_1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. dxltagxmma

The left display is static and the door indicators don't change at all...

12. Ost-Trieb

Ost-Trieb Member

Siemens air hook :cool:
    20231128211844_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Pzb is broken on the 642, got to hold to acknowledge leading to various emergency brake applications, Xbox series x

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  14. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

No it isnt! I dont know what you experiencing?

• Like Like x 2
  15. daz#4279

daz#4279 New Member

The right hand screen on the 642 is a bit to white and a bit to bright at night , could it turned off or the option to turn it off implemented, ? because it’s annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. TKessel

Or finally fix this annoying bug.

• Like Like x 2
  18. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

I've written over 5 support tickets regarding this freaking taillight issue on the 425... Well you see how much it did.
    Funnily you only need to turn down a value in the editor to just make em less bright and be done with it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. TKessel

And this leads back to the question why it has not been fixed yet? This would have finally been the next chance to spend 10 minutes of time on this one...

• Like Like x 2
  20. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

What happened to it being lower in price. It's $3.00 more expensive than the regular route price on XBOX in Canada.

Screenshot_20231128-192629_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20231128-192605_Chrome.jpg

Its too bad i liked the look of this route, but I can't justfy buying a route for more than what I paid for Blackpool when its advertised as being a shorter route for less cost.

This will be my first pass at a day one purchase, I will wait until a sale for a reasonable price.

Edit: Just for example the Glossop Line earlier this year was also priced at 29.99USD was only 33.99CAD

Screenshot_20231128-210945_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  21. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

I have to hold it for it to actually acknowledge

22. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This an issue which exists on consoles only, it’s to do with the button mapping and train setup, it’s happened before on various rolling stock & various saftey systems.

Xander you really need to chill out getting hyper defensive with people reporting bugs, you do this quite often on feedback threads & it isn’t needed nor wanted.

Bradley id recommend including at the very least your platform, for this sort of bug its an issue that seems to be getting persistent & more common, it definitely needs awareness raising.

• Like Like x 2
  23. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I really like the DB204.
    Even you can use with another one too.
    With "Free Roam", I have used on other german routes, but also on diesel UK ones

24. grdaniel48

Yesterday I have the chance to see the full stream of this route.
    Frankly speaking, for me it seems to be... really boring!.

Let me explain why:

Mostly just one track, so does not have so many variations of the route, related to create train traffic situations, to make it more interesting.
    Even thinking on "Free Roam".
    You can just use any train there, but not so many extra things to do.
    May be some freight shunting, could be something interesting.

Furthermore there are - the unfortunately common unreal situations like:
    - When you start the ride, and open the doors, most passenger get out of the train. When it must be the contrary
    - There are stations where you stop, there are lot of passengers there, but no one get in to the train.
    I noticed when almost arriving to the destination, there was just one passenger inside!
    - Road crossings where the gates are open, when the train goes through.
    - On one of the stations, you see people walking on the platform, and then dissapeared! Noticed from the train cab.
    This is not common. I mean it happens, but you usually does not noticed on most routes.

Of course, there are people who likes this kind of train driving.
    But it is not my case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. dxltagxmma

I actually really like the route and the 648 but unlike some other people *cough* I don't go out of my way and defend against any sort of VALID criticism as if I was working for DTG and call it "hate" towards the developers

• Like Like x 3
  26. grdaniel48

If your comment if related to my opinion of the route, please feel free to comment anything you want.
    I do not think you work for DTG for that reason.

Please notice, that was just my point of you, and according to my driving train preferences, as I mentioned.
    The big issue for me is single track.. Of course that is the real situation of the selected route, so it must be that way.
    My comments are not a criticism for DTG either!.
    It is just my point of view, according of what I would like a train driving experience might be.

27. dxltagxmma

I didn't mean you... seriously you weren't the person I ment

28. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Guest

29. TKessel

Yes but the question is WHY is it still in?

30. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Well.. Nobody knows, even more as its a super easy fix. Maybe raising even more support tickets will help

• Like Like x 1
  31. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Guest

same with any bug… it’s not been fixed.

32. stateoftheartjonas

stateoftheartjonas Active Member

Definitely not console only. It's the same on PC and just "normal" TSW behavior, I see it in basically every train, though some require longer presses than others. Unfortunately this prevents using special keys on your keyboard or mouse as the according software sends just one button press :(

33. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

My thoughts on Maintalbahn.
    Personally I like it but there are a few niggles (personally for me).

1. the scenarios. I have done two of them and to be honest found them a tad boring. To me personally the scenarios need to be engaging. Take a look at the one on Antelope Valley (The movie scenrio) More like that. The one I did on the new route "Fill her up" yes I liked the idea. But it was like you were driving in the Last of us. No AI traffic*, hardly anything in the yard(s). Its a scenario that I would call DAF (not the lorry either). I understand its not easy to create a scenario and believe me as soon as I get my self a place and my PC back in a permanent desk in said new place I will be abusing the PC editor in trying to learn how to create scenarios. It would also be great if the layered in content for the route would also be present in the scenarios. There are some that this happens in already but for example not even in the Scenario I played. The "Fetch" scenario there was but unfortunately I was down near Miltenburg so you dont see it.

*There was a sole BR363 shunter moving a load of wagons in the docks area but that was before you reached the docks.

2. Why is the Vectron placed in the Yard at Aschaffenburg in a siding with no OHLE above it? (see pic) **

3 The lack of BR204 or was it not used on the route in real life?

4. I have seen plenty of AI passenger traffic (it was a surprise to see the BR425 on the route as well), But have yet to see AI freight run from East to West or vice versa.

** failed locomotive dumped in the sidings.

The unit is nicely modelled and to be honest I love driving it. Looking forward to giving it the beans up the Spessart Rampe on a "Special"
    The same applies to the BR425.

Maintalbahn will go down as one of two routes to play. This will be in the play every now and then group with the likes of ECW, Rapid Transit, BCC, Glossop and LIRR to name but a few. Obviously if it gets picked out in my lucky dip streams then it will be played. But the other group is the "Plays quite often" group. This is where the likes of BML, ECML, SEHS GWE, MSB, RSN, Boston, NEC NJ, Riesa etc etc are chosen.
    Overall I like it but there are a rew niggles I have with it.

Hentis

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  34. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Same here! Doing the fill er up scenario the signaller told me to go forth and multiply coz he was sick of me contacting him to acknowledge SIFA lol

35. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Guest

Hearing/Reading a bit of mixed feedback for this route, but sounds like one to keep and eye on and look into more for future considerations.

36. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I like the route itself quite a bit, been playing in late November, and it's a picturesque and relaxing drive. There seem to be many unique scenery items and i don't get the feeling it was rushed, which wasn't my expectation going in. The funny PIS messages are a nice touch IMO.

The long single track section has some quirks, which i kinda dig, but could annoy some people. I was running the RB88 south from Aschaffenberg and was about 3 min late when i got a red signal right before that section. Took appx 20 min to clear as the northbound train was just entering the single track.

I don't THINK it's a bug, but with no time-skip feature it's something to be aware of- fwiw i still got a platinum medal despite being 23 min late to Miltern lol.

The 642 is more of a mixed bag IMO. It's fun to drive, but the PBC needs a patch so you can actually use the notches, PZB acknowledge button is wonky on controller, and the wheel flange sound seems weird to be, but that could be accurate.

Can anyone give driving tips btw? I've been just slamming it right into notch 5 but the engine doesn't seem to enjoy it lol.

My biggest issues are core-related: passenger behavior, weird ballast/snow texturing, UE4 stuttering (btw, has anyone played The Bus? Maybe it's just me but seems like it runs so much better once they switched to UE5, just sayin....)

Looking forward to driving some freight in my beloved G6 (sorry for ignoring you, 363).

Edit: hit post too early lol

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  37. stateoftheartjonas

I'm giving it 50% until it moves, then go up to 100% after I've reached 10km/h or so, so fairly quickly. But been wondering myself and wanted to check out some YouTube cab vids to see how they're doing it out in the real world :)

I'm having much more issues with the braking though. Haven't really figured out the automatic mixed braking (starting with the hydraulic retarder and then adding in the train brakes), the delay and the braking force seems quite unpredictable, it's always a surprise to me :D

• Like Like x 1
  38. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I’ve got PZB issues. From what I’ve been glancing at quickly through chat I can see others on PS5 are also experiencing this. Cannot acknowledge or release PZB at all. No lights illuminating either but E Brake had been applied.

39. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Just for the record, I was never able to purchase this route at the pre-release price, but did manage to buy it at full price through the in-game store. While I won't say I'm happy about how this turned out, the route includes some long and challenging shunting tasks, making it worth the few extra dollars for me.

=====================
    Oops! There's that pesky "Steam Updater" nuisance again, still trying to get me to "update " to the June 14 version of Steam. I'll just end this message and cancel this bogus business once again.

40. stateoftheartjonas

that bogus business being Steam/Valve? TSW is available on other platforms :D

41. orb

orb Well-Known Member

But you don't need to use Steam client to purchase anything from the Steam store. You can use any internet browser to do that just fine.

For example for the past 10 years I've never used the Steam client for purchases. I prefer purchasing on Steam through a standard web browser (like Firefox or Chrome) with my Steam account logged in there. This way I can for example open hundreds of tabs of various stuff that is on sale at the same time (like the recent autumn sale). Add some of these to cart and also from the cart that I can open in a separate tab I can once again open each of the items again in separate new tabs to check whether I really need to have them at this time, or can they wait.

42. TKessel

Where is the logic to not upate the Steam client after 5 month?

• Like Like x 3
  43. Taihennami

Taihennami Well-Known Member

On any unit with a Voith hydraulic transmission, it's best to use partial throttle for a few seconds to give time for the transmission's fluid circuits to fill. These are drained for efficiency, and to let the fluid cool down, when the throttle is idled. Giving it full throttle on an empty fluid circuit is literally just racing the engine while out of gear.

The British Pacer/Sprinter family (the Pacers being fitted with Voith transmissions after a few years of service) has a 7-step throttle. The usual advice with these is to use notch 3, 4, or 5 when starting away, then increase when the engine note changes to indicate the transmission is taking the load. So roughly 50% is probably right for other types of throttle.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Taihennami is mostly right for how it’s often done in real life, though that is more aggressive than you’re supposed to.

Here’s how it’s supposed to be done on the (West German) V100 and V160 family, which both have a 15-notch throttle:
    1. Turn throttle to 1 or 2 until the gearbox is filled (these locos have an indicator on the dashboard for this).
    2. Throttle up to 7 to get going.
    3. Gently increase the notch to 15, but only go up a notch when the RPMs have finished rising from the previous notch (often done in steps of two).
    This would give you a pattern of 0-2-7-9-11-13-15. However, that’s just what you’re supposed to do. In actuality, many drivers did 0-8-15 instead, which fits the 50% starting.

I don’t know for sure what the guidelines say about the 628 (never looked into the 642), but I believe it’s similar. Officially, start in a very low notch until the engine takes load, then increase notches slowly and carefully. Once more though, the reality is likely more aggressive than what you’re technically supposed to do.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Taihennami

Rumour has it that German engineers were horrified by how British drivers operated the Class 52 (which is mechanically very similar to a DB V200). Throttle wide open from a stand. It was what they needed to do to keep time, and the fact that the axles on each bogie were mechanically linked made wheelslip much less prevalent than on a diesel-electric loco.

The locomotive-type transmission (L prefix, with multiple torque converters with different gear ratios) is actually significantly different from the multiple-unit type transmission (T prefix, with only one torque converter at the same gear ratio as the lowest-geared fluid coupling), and is often used with engines that have speed-governor control (as in the V200 / Class 52). In that case, it is actually safe to turn the throttle up all the way, because what it actually does is set maximum rated RPM, and there is a smoothing function which delays that somewhat.

Beware, of course, that there are also L-series transmissions with the "highest" gear being a fluid coupling for cruising, notably the L216 and L217. The former is used in the V100, and the latter is used in the V60 (and is modelled incorrectly in TSW, which makes the middle gear a fluid coupling, as if it were a T312). In that case, the engine would not be speed-governed (another TSW error), but the driver would have direct control of engine torque. Thus the more cautious starting method is appropriate for this type.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That would make sense since it runs counter to everything I read about operating diesel hydraulic locos in German sources :D Just to add this to my UK repertoire - is that actually how they drove the 52s? Full throttle from a standstill?

Interesting insights, thank you for sharing. I just remember reading that when newer engine control technology got implemented, it was technically no longer necessary to be quite so cautious with the 216s, … 218s, but it was (and is) still considered good driving technique to not just open her up, so to speak.

47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While this is all correct for 628s, 363s and other D-H units, remember that Pacers with the original Leyland power used mechanical trannies, not hydraulics. The Voiths were substituted (IIRC) in the 1990s, so wouldn't be present on thegame's BPO route.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  48. Taihennami

They still do!

• Like Like x 3
  49. Taihennami

Versions of the 142 with the Voith transmission are supplied with the route, just not used by default, and you can drive them by selecting them as a substitute in Timetable Mode (or by spawning them in Free Roam on any route). The transmission replacements started remarkably quickly as the problems with the SCG gearbox proved insoluble, and were completed before the change from Leyland to Cummins engines began. It's the latter that occurred through the 1990s.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...did a little research to this topic: in real life there arn't any more BR204s (more precisly modified BR293s versions of it) on duty at the port area. Meanwhile they've been sold to other private rail companies. But in freeroam mode it's very realistic to see one of them again, because the port may have rented it back. ;)

Aschaffenburg Hafen.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1