Make The Default Selection For 'giving Up Service' No

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by The_Drunken_Engineer, Jun 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Although always bothersome, it's now gotten extreme. With the new SOS DLC, we're given up to, from what I've seen, five minutes before passenger service. Altho better than too little time, now we get the obnoxious "Do you want to give up service?" prompt. Okay, sure, but if you are happening to be killing time, walking around and hit the x button as that comes up, you've wasted your time. This happens on multiple routes at multiple places. Can the default not be NO so at least you don't mistakenly lose all progress? Seems a simple fix. Thanks.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'd rather remove the whole pop-up and add an option to give up a service somewhere in the menu.

The pop-up system is ridiculous. It pops up at times you don't want it, but it doesn't pop-up at times you do want it. No clue why someone thought putting this feature behind a pop up was ever a good idea. A menu option wouldn't unnecessarily keep bugging people, and yet make the feature available at the time you want it.

• Like Like x 11
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This old chestnut returns. I remember this used to be on the roadmap for a fix. We’ve even had a yearly UI update back with Rush Hour that could have included it. In fact TSW2 could have included it right from the start as it was a hot topic back in TSW2020. It was badly thought out all those years ago and still we live with it today. Loading the tankers on Oakville is still almost impossible to complete because of this as you can guarantee just as you press the X to do something, the pop up happens and ends your fun. The same applies to coupling and uncoupling, throwing switches, opening train doors and many other things, all actions that use the same button that will end your game if badly timed. Bona fide game breaking issue.

I’m assuming it’s all a big joke in the DTG office and in team meetings the boss asks “Do we still default to YES?” and the team yell back in unison “YES, We still default to YES” and a roar of laughter and cheering ensues. They must use it as a team building, morale boosting, call to arms for more badly designed UI elements to be developed for consoles. It seems to work too, judging by the weather selection sliders and Creators Club mod selection screens amongst other things that have been ‘designed’ since.

• Like Like x 3
  4. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Definitely agreed. I personally think they should add a 'give up service' option on the pause menu since console users are limited on controls

• Like Like x 1
  5. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Mat said on a stream one day that the team will work out on a way it will be automatically be set on “no” if it pops up suddenly and you press “X” by mistake then you won’t be cancelling the current service you’re doing

• Like Like x 2
  6. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

that's happened to me where i've had 4/5 minutes or so to wait at a station, i go walking around then just as i walk up to a signal to contact signaller, this screen pops up at the exact same time and before i know it i've quit the journey and lost all my progress, so changing the default to no would be very useful!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Goodness, I remember once completing a 2 and a half hour long CSX freight service, and having to uncouple some of the cars after arriving in the yard. I walk down to the last 10 cars of the train, go to the coupler lock, and guess what? That ridiculous pop-up appears the very moment I click the uncouple button.

That’s wild that over 2 hours of progress can be undone because someone couldn’t be bothered to move a little menu option.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt any reason why DTG insists on using a pop-up box rather than a menu option for giving up services?

• Like Like x 1
  9. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

At least there's the positive of somebody getting a laugh out of it lol

That's it's been on a previous roadmap and been ignored is pretty depressing, especially since the save function is broken. When a simple fix like this is ignored, it doesn't inspire hope.

• Like Like x 1