Make Union Pacific Trains Playable On Cajon Pass

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CrazyDash, Sep 1, 2022.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Cajon Pass is looking overall pretty promising as a route. Pretty decent scenery, and a decent amount of gameplay. However, there is one crucial thing that is missing from the gameplay and that is Union Pacific services. DTG said that they are only AI on the route. I do not agree with this decision at all. There is actually a decent amount of things you can do with UP trains on this route. Let me briefly explain what UP can do on this route that players should be able to do.

Here is a map of Cajon Pass to help better explain the types of services they can do:
    [​IMG]

Keenbrook-Summit
    First and foremost we have services traveling between Keenbrook and Summit. These would be great services for relatively short runs that mostly focus on steep gradients. Trains will begin down in Keenbrook where the Palmdale Cutoff meets with the BNSF line. Trains could simply start at a signal or siding within this area to begin and end services. Trains will then travel up and down the Cajon Pass until they reach Summit. Trains will then end their service at the top of the hill as trains on the Palmdale Cutoff then proceed down to the Mojave Subdivision. There is a siding just about where the route splits off, so this would be a good place for trains to begin and end services. Most UP traffic would be performing these kinds of services, as these trains use this line to bypass Los Angeles and Burbank to get to the Mojave Subdivision a lot faster than going via the Metrolink Antelope Valley Line. However, these are not the only services that UP runs on Cajon Pass.

San Bernardino-Barstow
    UP trains run down to Barstow just like the BNSF trains do. Trains would simply begin in San Bernardino, just like the BNSF trains. Trains will travel down to Barstow, where they will then branch off to head down the Cima Subdivision to travel down to Las Vegas. UP only runs trains bound towards Las Vegas down to Barstow. They also run on the BNSF trackage instead of the Palmdale Cutoff, although it is possible trains from West Colton Yard may transfer onto the BNSF line once they reach Summit. Here is some footage of UP trains running on the BNSF line and traveling down to Barstow:

This video shows various UP trains traveling north of the Summit heading down to Barstow heading down to Las Vegas.

This video yet again shows various UP trains traveling north of Summit, but this time at the Frost Crossover.

Why am I making such a big deal of this?
    Simple answer to this is simply just that I want more routes to drive the SD70ACE on. Playable UP services are completely manageable to do for this route, which is why I am disappointed that they are only AI trains. I was really hoping that these AI trains would have been playable. It could add up to about 20-40 additional services to the route, but most likely closer to 20. It would allow for some additional and varied gameplay on the route, which is why I hope that these services are playable within the near future.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Only change is I don't think UP runs very many if any trains down BNSFs line to San Bernardino anymore post 2008 with both the Silverwood and Keenbrook crossovers in place. (On top of the grade separation at the diamonds east of West Colton) If anything All services should start or end at Keenebrook, and go to either Summit on the Palmdale Cutoff or use the crossovers to head to Barstow to split at Daggett to Yermo.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and I can see this happening for Sherman Hill Cane Creek And SFJ Owners is that on Cajon Pass services start/end at MP462 end at UP West Colton Hump Yard. West Colton Hump Yard uses SD40-2 from Sherman Hill/Cane Creek or GP38-2 Peninsula Commuter. Down the Road DTG reskins the SD70ACE Sherman Hill onto BNSF Paint Because all class one freight railroads in North America order the same locomotive then put them in their fleet.

4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

IMO more options for layers and substitution is always a good thing. The more flexibility the better.

And don't point me towards Scenario Planner as it takes way too much time to set up a custom scenario with some decent AI traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

And it’s still super limited

6. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

All routes benefit from extra drivable layers but especially one which one has 100 odd driveable services on the timetable.
    The omission must have been lack of time, lack of licenses or keeping paths in the timetable back for future add on DLC.

Here's hoping it the first or last.