Manual Transition

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by graham.haddon, Apr 11, 2021.

1. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I would really like for someone to give a tutorial on how to use the manual transition function on the EMD F7. I have read the operating manual for the F7 and it explains how to drive in manual transition mode but it references a transition meter that is part of the amperes meter/gauge that I do not believe is present in the TSW2 F7.

There is also a table in the manual referencing different speeds at which the transitions should be changed if the transition gauge is not working. But it would help if we knew which final drive ratio the TSW2 F7 is modelled to have because there were five or six different ratios. All obviously with different transition switch speeds.

The operating manual also references reducing the throttle to notch 6 when changing from transition position 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 but it appears the transition lever will only move up with the loco in notch 8.

If anybody can give more details on this mode of operation it would be highly interesting and useful. Thank you.

2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Check this manual: https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Railroads/EMD_F3_DLW_OM.pdf#page29

It‘s got a very detailed section about transitions since the locos didn‘t have automatic transition. One thing you‘ll notice is that the load gauge looks very different to an F7 load gauge. You‘ll have to improvise a bit to do it manually wirh an F7.

I think CRR‘s F7s had a 62:15 gear ratio but don‘t quote me on that.

3. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

That's great, thank you.
    Perhaps by 1976 the load indicators had been replaced and there was seen to be no need for them because by then all the Engineers (knew) how to drive the F7 properly.
    I have only played about with it so far. I really enjoyed the limited power scenario but I did that with automatic transition.
    It's a definite fun feature though