[outdated]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Commiee, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

We are going back to the original master thread for Japanese suggestions: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/master-list-of-japanese-route-suggestions.38296/

The number of suggestions here crossed 60, which I never expected when opening this new thread with images, and that created issues with how many individual subsequent posts I needed to make to accommodate the entire list. So we are going back to the original thread, which I have updated with all the new suggestions. We will stick to that thread from now on.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Nice to see all the suggestions that have piled up over time. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see anything become reality from this list, and if it ever does, which route it will be.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Commiee

I'd say suggestions like yours have a better chance than most, due to the reasonable distances. On the other hand, looking at the pace of route development and how many 'easier' locations are there for DtG before Japan would become a priority, I'm not feeling very optimistic (which may sound weird considering the effort I've put into this thread and my suggestions). But I guess that can also change quickly, if e.g. Union Workshop decide to switch over and develop for TSW2.

4. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Just posting this here because it applies to multiple threads.

A Japanese ranking site (think kind of like Buzzfeed but solely dedicated to rankings of various sorts) has posted their popularity rankings for the Shinkansen based on user votes for this year. There were a total of 7112 votes and overwhelmingly the 500 Series (runs on Sanyo Shinkansen Line and formerly the Tokaido Shinkansen) was voted as the favourite. Followed by the E4 (formerly Tohoku Shinkansen and Joetsu Shinkansen), then the E7/W7 (Joetsu Shinkansen and Hokuriku Shinkansen).
    https://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/research/articles/534864/9
    Screenshot 2022-01-18 170624.png

Now it is my suspicion that the E4 is in a slightly inflated position thanks to it retiring just at the end of last year. Which seems to be the case if you review the rakings from the 2020 poll; the 500 won by a huge margin then too (and in 2021) cementing its place as the most loved Shinkansen.
    Screenshot 2022-01-18 205100.png

5. Commiee

The E5 and the 800 series so far down the ranking? O.O

6. Commiee

7. Dinosbacsi

With the recent release of the Tohoku High Speed Rail & Main Line for Train Simulator, I am once again hoping we get a japanese route for TSW at some point. I enjoy the japanese routes TS as well, but sadly the age of TS shows very badly, especially when one is used to TSW by now.

Union Workshop's models of the E5 are very good and high detail (so are most of their trains), they stick out of Train Simulator's dated graphics like a sore thumb. I bet they would look gorgeous in TSW. The fact that their content still gets released officially by DTG as well gives me some hope that one day we will see japanese routes in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Commiee

Same here - I tried Japanese route DLCs in TS Classic, but my immersion was shattered every time I took eyes off what was in front and looked up at scenery. Tree sprites, empty hills, super low-res textures, etc. You just can't help but think about how awesome those routes would look in a modern engine. I keep checking Union Workshop Twitter account from time to time, hoping to see them announce they have moved to the new engine and will be developing something for TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

They posted on Chinese social media that they were in the early stages of experimenting with Unreal but Tohoku was already in production at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I see Tohoku arriving on TSW 2 if they're making it in UE4 if that were to be the case E5 shinkansen combines tilting of DB BR612 with the speed of TGV Duplex DB BR403 406. E5 Shinkansen tilts using the active suspension method.

11. fabdiva

I don't think any of Tohoku was done in Unreal - more a case of initial experiments were taking place at the same time.

Tohoku is a big route with about 250km of route. (as the Akita line is in the route but without scenery) While TSW routes are getting longer - they are not that long yet!

12. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Japan is really missing from this game. Japan must have lots of dev's that can build Japanese routes. Must be a dev team out there that could build these routes. Send Adam for a Japanese language course to Japan and see what happens?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dinosbacsi

Basically all they've shown us is a few renders of the E5 Shinkansen in UE. But they probably just loaded the model they made for TS to see how it looks.

14. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

I don't know how large the modding/development scene is out there for TS, but it definitely exists, since there's a now-very old Sanyo Shinkansen addon for TS20XX that has a 300 Series Shinkansen unit as the rolling stock.

15. fabdiva

PC gaming was relatively niche in Japan - most of the domestic Train games were Arcade/Console.

A Japanese Translation would probably be a good starting point though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Commiee

So over the past couple of days I've been watching videos (both cinematic and cab ride) of the Tōkyū Ōimachi Line, and the idea of having that as another Japanese suggestion sounds good in theory because it would introduce a new licencing option for prospective developers - no other current proposed routes are operated by the Tōkyū Corporation. But the problem with it is the gate barriers on platforms. Recreating them in TSW2 would obviously create issues for probably like 90 percent of players in lining up with the doors. Even though it's a new and exciting challenge for people like myself, most would probably be frustrated and then go post negative Steam reviews because of that. Can anyone think of any way the gates could be introduced but not be frustrating in gameplay?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. fabdiva

I would have them as a separate model with an option to show/hide them in the settings. Japanese regulations require them to be fitted to new build and retrofitted (if possible*) to stations over a certain passenger threshold so they are increasingly common these days.

*Generally the first stage is ensuring door positions are standardised and then once all stock on the route is standard, start rolling out gates. Generally around the Tokyo area everything that isn't a limited express is now 20m cars with 4 pairs of doors per side. The main exception is the Keisei-Toei Asakusa-Keikyu network which uses 18m 3 door pairs cars.

Outside Tokyo the standard is 3 pairs of doors per side.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Commiee

That sounds like a workaround, but only if it is possible to have two switchable passenger flow pathings - one for when gates are enabled and passengers funnelled into the doors, and the other copying the current system where passengers just flock to wherever the train car doors are. The second would need to auto-activate if gates are disabled in settings.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  19. Commiee

I have another question, this time less hypothetical and more practical, for a potential new suggestion. Does anyone have info, or links to info, on what rolling stock JRF runs on Shitte-Tachikawa, Shitte - Hama-Kawasaki and Shitte - Shin-Tsurumi Signal Station sections of the Nambu Line?

[edit] I found the info.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  20. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

EF64, EF65, EF66, EH200, EF210 seems to be all the usual stock used.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Commiee

Thank you, I was just going though some Japanese sources and found references to EF210 and EH200 there. I will take a look at these videos too, would be nice if there is an even greater variety.

22. Commiee

I have made a lot of updates to the list - removed ranking numbers while keeping the proposals arranged based on likes, added photo credits, replaced about a third of the images, and made some visual updates to the entries, including colour coding of their names based on the official colours of the lines.

But the main reason I'm making this post is the following: here is a screenshot of a DtG survey from November 2018 (according to this post) about prospective routes, for voting by community:

[​IMG]

As you can see, this shows that an official survey by DtG featured a Japanese route as an option. I was recently told (in this post) that DtG have said on streams they are leaving the option of producing routes in countries like Japan to third-party devs. I don't know about you, but if there is a Q&A session with the devs, we should ask them if that is now officially the case. And if it is, I would like to know how and why they changed their approach from including a Japanese route in their own survey, to stating they are not going to be producing routes from countries like Japan.

I think this is important for having a clarity about what to expect, instead of having the prospect of seeing routes from beyond the Holy Trinity dangled in front of us from one year to the next. Are we entirely dependent on Union Workshop/etc deciding to produce Japanese content for TSW2? Is there a possibility of DtG doing it once all Covid restrictions are lifted in Japan? It would be helpful to be able to have an idea about the situation.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  23. Commiee

We were in conversation with a community mod in the PC Discussion forum section just now, and looks like DtG are relying on third-party devs to create routes for new countries. I thought everyone who has interest in what this thread is about would be interested to see what is the latest DtG comment on this subject. Here is the response: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/is-tsw2-dead-in-the-water.56967/#post-513491

24. Commiee

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  25. fabdiva

3DS Max - so still the raw model - you'd then import that into the game engine to create the in game model

• Helpful Helpful x 1