Upcoming Release Master The East Midlands!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Apr 12, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

[​IMG]

Midland Main Line is almost here! Skyhook Games’ next Train Sim World 3 route will arrive on April 18th with a trinity of British cities to travel between. Hit high speeds in a variant of the iconic Class 43 HST and learn new traction altogether with the introduction of the Class 158.

Train Sim World 3: Midland Main Line: Leicester - Derby & Nottingham route Add-On can be pre-ordered now on Steam!

Read it all in our Midland Main Line announcement article or using the direct link:
    https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/master-the-east-midlands

BR Class 158 and Class 43 HST Walkthrough Video

BR Class 158
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Class 43 HST / InterCity 125 (powered by the VP185 engine)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Route Map
    [​IMG]

Additional Information:
    Ratcliffe Power Station and Litchurch Lane Works, listed on the map above, as well as Toton Deport & Siding will be inaccessible areas.

• Like Like x 24
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Actually quite excited about this route.

• Like Like x 6
  3. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

As a Leicester lad this was always gonna be a day one purchase. Really looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

What a missed opportunity if there isn't any coal traffic to the power station.

• Like Like x 15
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Pre-order really hinges on the 158 sounds delivering so will be looking for feedback from the stream tomorrow evening.
    It is still a comparatively short route, though - Midland Main Line had potential to be so much more, either Down to Sheffield or come far as far south as Bedford. Otherwise it's yet another in the long line of increasingly shorter routes we are seeing now in TSW, but still with the asking price of £30.

• Like Like x 7
  6. cspencer553.cs

cspencer553.cs Member

I wonder were the 66 goes for the freight run if the power station is not in use,,,what a shame,oh well im from Nottingham its a day one purchase for me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the Ratcliffe Chimeys will actually have smoke coming out them like the artwork shows.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Overall not impressed with what we are being offered here, 1 unrealistic freight service, anyone with access to the internet and real time trains can see why, amount of services that make NY Trenton look like Brighton mainline and inaccessible areas that shouldn’t even be on the route, seems like another lacklustre skyhook route

• Like Like x 9
  9. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Looking forward, but speed sign font still not improved for uk routes, at least make the font a bit thinner?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I agree 131 services which probably includes dead head moves and depot moves is low if you compare the Edinburg/Glasgow route with around 220 services and still feels empty. I can only imagine how empty this route will be. But I think you went to far by comparing NY Trenton route to the Brighton Main line. That's not even in the same ball park. NYT route has about 25% representation from reality.

11. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

" Additional Information:
    Ratcliffe Power Station and Litchurch Lane Works, listed on the map above, as well as Toton Deport & Siding will be inaccessible areas"

Oh man, thought that lesson had been learned from Oakville Sub.

How does it happen again?

• Like Like x 20
  12. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

The line side still looks so incredibly bare. Really takes it away for me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I'm Looking forward to the route but the "Additional Information:
    Ratcliffe Power Station and Litchurch Lane Works, listed on the map above, as well as Toton Deport & Siding will be inaccessible areas." as well as only one drivable freight service Is a big disappointment for me. For me personally is it worth having scenario creator at all. How much of the route is going to be supported for Scenario creator.
    Bit of a let down to be honest.

Hentis

• Like Like x 14
  14. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Another road to flee.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bradley

i wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one slot per station

16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to its release

• Like Like x 2
  17. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Additional Information:
    Ratcliffe Power Station and Litchurch Lane Works, listed on the map above, as well as Toton Deport & Siding will be inaccessible areas
    Way to go knocking down the interest that we've built up!

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen that those areas were working, so any interest is self built
    I am disappointed that they haven't completed the route but then we know that in the UK DTG focus on passenger services, they've stated it and repeatedly shown that this is the case so until we see otherwise I'd say you can rely on there being minimal focus on anything bar core passenger service

19. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

While this is the first modern UK route in a very long time I'm actually interested from the start, the lack of freight with just a single service is such a strange decision - why was there not at least two for a return trip in the other direction? Meanwhile, with the timetable being the most important aspect for any route regarding how much long-term playability there is, I just hope the smaller amount of services overall at least have a lot of variety otherwise I worry it'll be GWE 2.0.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  20. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Take my money! Who else knew the release date was April 18th before this article cuz of the RailAdvent leak.

• Like Like x 2
  21. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

Ah yes, it's the players fault for expecting to see an area properly represented. :D Especially for another route that's on the short side. But I guess one will buy anything if they set their expectations low enough.

• Like Like x 10
  22. ARuscoe

It's someone's "fault" if they hype themselves up without basis...
    Personally I wait until I know what's on offer before gaining any excitement or anticipation, YMMV

23. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I hadnt "hyped" myself up to be fair (not sure if you aimed it at me, no worries.) Its kind of Ruhr Sieg Nord all over again, where we have the power station and Coal trains but have no way to access them a bit like never the twain shall meet. Its disappointing yes. But hopefully the route is enjoyable enough.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Bit misleading, not to say disingenuous to have your main promo shot showing a power station with belching chimneys, none of which are approachable by freight services.

Looks like an ultra clean, rather sterile commuter passenger route that will " run out of steam " after a few trips down the line.

But I'll watch the preview stream and see if SHG can change my mind, as they did, actually, with HSC.

• Like Like x 9
  25. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Nobody seems to be mentioning it but it looks very devoid of grass and other foliage. Is this really acceptable in a next-gen simulator?

ss_162038634717b9895085ae62fcf400f7f0675b8e.1920x1080.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  26. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

IIRC, the power station with it's spur is at least physically modelled and reachable on Ruhr Sieg IIRC, so you could take a train there in theory. It's worse if they've just cordoned these areas off with the invisible "game over" barriers (if the tracks are even laid that is). Even if they add more freight to the route later on, I expect those areas will remain off-limits forever.

A damn pity too, the modern UK tracks badly need more than a few funny freight movements per route. Is the GWE route still the one with the most freight services among the modern UK routes?

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

And the branch off on BML just north of Haywards Heath, and several other places on routes all over the place.
    So there's a track record there
    So no need to ever "look forward to" or get hyped up about these things because DTG have shown they don't hold UK freight in high regard
    (wasn't aimed at you initially, I did quote the person who said they'd had their interest "knocked down")

28. ARuscoe

16 on GWE, 19 on BML, over 50 on SEHS (new timetable)
    That's all class 66 services including short moves and so on

29. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

Always found it odd that TS1 still sometimes looks better than TSW when it comes to detail in the scenery, when TSW is supposed to be the next-gen train simulator to replace the decade-old one.

I mean, just look at JustTrains MML from TS1, and compare it to the screenshots we have of TSWs, JT's one looks miles better.

• Like Like x 9
  30. OldVern

I am actually starting to see this as an expensive stock pack (the 158 and slightly rehashed HST) with the route very much an afterthought. Those screenshots in addition to being rather bare seem to indicate in clear sunny conditions we are once again going to get track and ballast with a nasty "bright brown" reflective shine.

Just all seems a bit half baked - an operational power station would have added considerable interest and traffic as would Toton Yard and Depot. Why on earth wasn't this on the whiteboard when the route was conceived?

Like I said earlier or in another thread, there is just something about this inducing some unease and really hesitant to pre-order, even if it saves me £3.

• Like Like x 9
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I wonder in the future if there will be Services towards the power station and Toton Marshalling Yard? Because in some routes a downloadable content locomotive is used to access previously inaccessible area. Example Deutsche Reichsbahn Deutschen Demokratischen Republik Baureihe 110-112 DR V100 it's used on Bahnstrecke Hanau Aschaffenburg Laufach Gemünden Würzburg Main Spessart Bahn for the port section. For the power station and Toton Marshalling Yard this is going to be a good place to introduce Class 60 & Class 58 locomotives. The later class 60 can layer to BCC because it has enough attractive Force to climb Lickey incline unassisted.

• Like Like x 1
  32. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Does the HST have the full complement of coaches? I can see a TS and TGS but no TF or TFRB...

• Like Like x 2
  33. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Even if in real life there is only one scheduled freight (which I highly doubt) there is so much room to add things.

Freight trains are often diverted and the intermodals and aggregates are regularly seen diverted around this area.
    The RHTT should be out and about in autumn.
    Light engine moves are regular between depots with several 66's often lashed together.
    Engineering trains travelling to other destinations can be represented.

I would hope there would be a steam railtour too. Or a light engine movement with the jubilee, on its way to a heritage railway or maybe Southall or Carnforth perhaps.

There is so much possibility and we now have enough British rolling stock to represent many trains found all over the UK.

Even as Ai, passing different trains brings so much to the experience. When we have all the rolling stock already then I can't fathom why more of it isn't present.

• Like Like x 12
  34. OldVern

Depends whether Skyhook see ongoing potential or it becomes yet another fire and forget bland pudding of a route. The fact large tracts of infrastructure (Toton Yard/Depot) and the power station have been laid as scenery only would seem to preclude enhancement without a massive rebuild.

• Like Like x 7
  35. Iskra1

Iskra1 Member

With Derby now on the route network, could we see some Network Rail reskins of HST's, 37's or even class 150 in game? A test train could also be layered onto other modern day routes.

• Like Like x 2
  36. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I hope for that myself!

37. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

This will possibly be the worst route to ever come to tsw. Short route, overpriced, locos that no one has asked for, and yet another rushed route

• Like Like x 10
  38. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Where's your proof nobody asked for this route or unit? People have asked for a sprinter many times if you look in suggestions.

• Like Like x 14
  39. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

So you won't be buying it then. Many people have asked for more second generation DMUs, the three cities of the East Midlands hardly sit on a branchline either

• Like Like x 7
  40. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Hopefully they've included approach control signalling, I believe there's a lot of that in real life in this area.

• Like Like x 1
  41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nonsense! I can see seven bushes in the hooped area and at least as many blades of grass :D

• Like Like x 4
  42. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

No I won’t, and I have as much right not to buy it as you do. If there’s a problem with that then it yours and not mine

• Like Like x 1
  43. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think the issue is they shouldn't be on the route map if they're not accessible. It is part of the official pre-release marketing and could cause confusion, and maybe the power station shouldn't play such a central role in the cover art?

Honestly, I put this more on DTG than Skyhook, as presumably the publisher is responsible for marketing and promotion.

Regarding Toton depot, I guess they just wanted to be clear that it wasn't coming- i'm ok with that since it was never promised.

• Like Like x 3
  44. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There are actually two services that use that spur line

45. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Did i read right that the powerstation is an inaccessable area?

"
    Additional Information:
    Ratcliffe Power Station and Litchurch Lane Works, listed on the map above, as well as Toton Deport & Siding will be inaccessible areas.

"

• Like Like x 2
  46. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I hope that those who buy it will enjoy it. For me it's a route I can wait as long as it takes to get it at a big discount.

• Like Like x 2
  47. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I have been getting much better for waiting for the sales to get routes. not sure when the next one is...

• Like Like x 5
  48. Bradley

SEHS has the most freight services on a uk route

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I must say I am very much looking forward to seeing these two units in game, particularly the VP185 HST which I've fond memories of on both on the MML and ECML. The route is of a decent enough quality that I can recognise some of the screenshot locations from my monthly travels on this line. I am rather disappointed about the lack of freight but good to see the Peak and ROG 37 getting layers along with the RHTT which I've decided I'm going to buy as well.

It is a bit of a short route but I think it will be worth my £30 with the units and the fact it is the closest TSW route to where I live.

Providing they play their cards right in the stream I'll pick it up on or soon after release day.

• Like Like x 6
  50. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s a pity the power station is off limits. Could have had quite a few coal trains emptying their loads.

• Like Like x 1