Metra Union Pacific West

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainmasteraiden, Jun 2, 2022.

1. trainmasteraiden

trainmasteraiden Active Member

The Union Pacific West Line (UP-W) is a Metra commuter rail line operated by Union Pacific Railroad in Chicago, Illinois and its western suburbs. Metra does not refer to its lines by particular colors, but the timetable accents for the Union Pacific West line are "Kate Shelley Rose" pink, honoring an Iowa woman who saved a Chicago & North Western Railway train from disaster in 1881. Green and yellow were already selected for the Union Pacific North Line and Union Pacific Northwest Line, respectively, so pink was chosen for this line. Therefore, the UP-W is the only Metra line that uses a color to honor a person instead of a fallen flag railroad.[3] Until 2006, all Metra trains on this line terminated at Geneva. The line runs as part of the Union Pacific Railroad's Geneva Subdivision (ex-C&NW line to Clinton, Iowa.) The line was once known as the Chicago & Northwestern/West Line until UP took over the C&NW in 1995.

The line runs from the Ogilvie Transportation Center in downtown Chicago through the western suburbs to Elburn. This is the oldest railway route built from Chicago, the route of the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad along Kinzie street.

As of September 13, 2021, Metra operates 20 inbound trains and 20 outbound trains on the Union Pacific West Line on weekdays. All inbound trains originate from Elburn and all outbound trains terminate at Elburn.

Metra operates 10 inbound trains and 10 outbound trains on the Union Pacific West Line on Saturdays. All inbound trains originate from Elburn and all outbound trains terminate at Elburn.

Metra operates nine inbound trains and nine outbound trains on the Union Pacific West Line on Sundays. All inbound trains originate from Elburn and all outbound trains terminate at Elburn.

Until the late 1940s the line had a branch to Freeport, Illinois. It diverged from the main line at West Chicago and had stations at Elgin, Marengo, Belvidere, Rockford, Freeport, and other communities.
    Locomotive:
    F40PH-Built-1977
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cab-Interior
    [​IMG]
    F59PHI-Built-1994
    [​IMG]
    Cab Interior
    [​IMG]
    Cab Car
    [​IMG]
    Cab Interior
    [​IMG]

Freight Trains UP:

ES44AC UP-Built-2008
    [​IMG]
    Cab Interior
    [​IMG]
    SD70M-Built-2004
    [​IMG]
    Cab Interior
    [​IMG]

ET44AC
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. trainmasteraiden

I can make an More UP Trains And Metra Trains

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

For locals, a GP60 (or GP62 rebuild), GP22T4 (rebuilt GP38-2), or GP40-2 would be great to see. I'd also suggest the SD59MX (rebuilt UP SD60) and SD70ACe-T4 (called SD70AH on UP).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. trainmasteraiden

i can try

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I hope "Cajon Valley" comes to TSW soon. Hopefully this is a route extension for Sim Train.

6. trainmasteraiden

i agree

7. trainmasteraiden

i don't think they can resolve the license issues with metra

8. Railfan 121

Railfan 121 New Member

I feel like Metra needs to be a bit more open to ideas, I’m getting a bit tired of eastern and western routes

9. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Nice proposal. Especially with fast UP freight trains.

10. Caravatt

Caravatt Active Member

It would all depend on whether DTG could obtain the Metra license. As far as the rolling stock is concerned, there wouldn't be problems. Basically a less updated version of Peninsula Corridor's F40 and a sort of "Baby Bullet" obtained from an F59 ... You can count on me for this! I love the Chicago area and the Lakes in general. It would be nice to see the freight too. There's a lot of freight traffic in those areas!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024