Microwaved Food.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -_-LivvuAurora-_-, Oct 12, 2022.

1. -_-LivvuAurora-_-

-_-LivvuAurora-_- Well-Known Member

What do you think about microwaved food or microwaves in general?

My sister burnt a bag of popcorn in it 2 months ago.. it still smells like burnt popcorn no matter how much I clean it.

• Like Like x 4
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There’s not a lot you can burn in a microwave as long as you stick to the timings but popcorn is one that burns quite easily.. Microwaves great for a quick ready meal or to cook frozen vegetables. I have also burned popcorn in the past. You really have to keep an eye on it the whole time. I presume you are using popcorn in a bag. Listen for when the pops reduce to a pop every 3 seconds or so and it will be done. You might get a few unpopped bits in the bottom but it’s better than burning it.

A good way to cook popcorn is to buy it in packets from a health food shop. Then heat up a small amount of oil (for sweet) or margarine (for salty) in a large saucepan. Put 2 - 3 dessert spoons of popcorn in the hot oil/marge. Cover with a lid (preferably a see through one) and hold it down by the knob to stop the popcorn shooting out all over the place. Then, when the popping slows, take it off the heat and empty into a bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

I've moved the microwave out of the kitchen (it lives on top of the spare freezer in the adjacent dining room now), apart from some microwave rice sachets I can't remember the last time I used it.

4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I use mine for the porridge stuff that comes in sachets where you add milk to it, shove it in the microwave for a couple minutes and bobs your uncle. Wonderful stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Used to use a microwave for heating up French crepes, few seconds in their and outcomes a melted chocolate wrap :cool:

6. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

If you placed your food next to the ocean, would it cook quicker?

7. You can cook anything in the mickey, you can even live on it. On the other hand if you like good tasting food use a cooker.

8. -_-LivvuAurora-_-

It would so, however it would also summon cthulu.

9. Cook a lasagna in it then it will smell of lasagna.

• Like Like x 1
  10. vanescott

vanescott New Member

This can lead to certain parts of the food being hot while others remain cold. It's important to stir or rotate the food during the heating process to help promote even cooking.
    Regarding the incident with the burnt popcorn smell, strong odors can linger in microwaves if not properly cleaned. You may want to try the following steps to remove the smell:
    1. Start by wiping down the interior of the microwave with a solution of equal parts vinegar and water. This can help neutralize odors.
    2. Place a bowl of water with a few tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar in the microwave and heat it for several minutes. The steam generated can help loosen any stubborn odors.
    3. Afterward, remove the bowl and wipe down the interior with a fresh cloth or sponge.
    4. You can also try placing an open box of baking soda or a dish of activated charcoal inside the microwave to absorb any lingering odors.
    A better alternative to microwaves is air fryers. Whether you prepare rice, meat, or air fryer potato recipes it's important to consider that this cooking method uses hot air circulation to cook the food. While it can result in crispy and delicious dishes, it can also lead to certain parts of the food being hot while others remain cold. To help promote even cooking, it's recommended to stir or rotate the food during the heating process. This ensures that all sides of the food are exposed to the hot air and helps achieve consistent results.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  11. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

My opinion is; some microwave foods are good, some not as good. Microwaved popcorn is alright but I ate too much once and I felt extremely sick afterwards.

12. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Cook pasta then it smells of pasta.

13. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

Microwaved Sweet Potatoes are amazing. With a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil drizzled on top.

14. lancpudn

lancpudn Active Member

Microwaves are great for some things like reheating meals between two plates as my family eats at different times. Our daughter insists on cooking scrambled eggs in them which have a rubbery texture & taste revolting though. :o

15. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

You can do that?

16. raymondello

raymondello New Member

I feel your pain about that burnt popcorn smell lingering forever. It's like a microwave memory that just won't quit.

But when I'm feeling lazy or just too 'meh' to cook, I'm all about hitting up irish breakfast near me. It's like a quick food fix that saves the day when the kitchen feels like a distant planet.

As for microwaved food in general, it's a lifesaver for reheating leftovers, and some frozen meals are surprisingly decent. But nothing beats a freshly cooked meal when you have the energy for it. What's your go-to microwaved dish, or do you avoid it altogether now because of the popcorn trauma?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Try the aftermath of water leaking through the ceiling from the loft into the airing cupboard (ruptured header tank). It still lingers now and that was 6 weeks or so ago.

18. matt#4801

Another bad one for microwave smells is when you reheat a chinese takeaway the next day. That leaves a nasty whiff for weeks.

19. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

Who puts fish in the microwave?

20. -_-LivvuAurora-_-

A year on later. We had to replace the microwave completely because she caused a fire In it.

21. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

OatSoSimple?

22. matt#4801

That's the one!

23. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

yes, it is not a good chef, as Gordon Ramsay says, but for us who are not so fancy, it's a good helper :)

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Can't be beat for reheating coffee or tea, reheating leftovers or making oatmeal.

Plus, if you treat them right, microwaves last forever. Mine is at least 20 years old.

25. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

My oven broke a while back. Saving up for a replacement.

After the amount of time I've been stuck doing it, I do not recommend the experience of living on microwaved food.

26. matt#4801

I'll tell you another thing the mrs had me buy is a Ninja air fry thing. That is brilliant, and I have even managed to do myself some chicken strips in it! Not a microwave I know but thought I'd mention it.

27. spikeyorks

spikeyorks Well-Known Member

Well my Mrs puts her cornflakes and milk in the microwave and has it warm. (Looks like a Weetabixy sludge).
    Is that a thing?

28. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i dont use microwave no more since years i think its not good.

29. -_-LivvuAurora-_-

It'd be nice but I usually don't have the money for that, or the time to cook meals. Nonetheless, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2024
  30. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

for me a good alternative, when I want sth good and fast, is to have a decent quality non-stick frying pan with granite or similar coating (usually a decent 26cm with enough depth and such can go for around 25 euros and up, mine cost like 30) and a silicone universal lid... that combo can get you decent and filling food in nice time and can be cleaned easily enough (thats why non-stick+granite coating works so well) :)

31. iliasdog#7616

iliasdog#7616 Member

Although I have an older microwave. I primarily use it for heating up some homemade food, frozen
    meats from hunting & butter.
    For the smell mostly I clean it with freshly juiced lemon and leaving the door open.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  32. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Something else we do in the microwave is (home made) custard. Using the milk pan inevitably end up with burnt on brown bits on the bottom which contaminates the yellow goo. Just need to proceed in small 10 or 15 second bursts after the initial couple of minutes or it will go a bit jellyish.

33. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Another purpose I use the microwave for is I often order a Sunday roast dinner (Usually Turkey or sometimes Beef I get) from a local pub, I use it to heat up the gravy pot you get if it’s gone a bit cold. The microwave does a pretty good job at making it near red hot.

• Like Like x 1