Migrate From Steam To Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by miaideli, May 1, 2021.

?
  1. yes, but I will not buy my collection again

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. yes, and I will buy my collection again, starting August

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. no, I do not care

71 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. miaideli

miaideli New Member

I saw a news today (01/05/2021) in which they said that:
    "Microsoft will decrease the share of money it charges independent developers that publish PC games on its online store, starting in August, the company said on Thursday.

Developers will keep 88 percent of the revenue from their games, up from 70 percent. That could make Microsoft’s store more attractive to independent studios than competitors like Valve’s gaming store, called Steam, which typically starts by taking a 30 percent cut. Epic Games’ store takes 12 percent."NYTimes.com

So my question is: how can we better support Dovetail Games?
    I am all on board with migrating my whole collection of TSW1+2 out from STEAM and into Microsoft Store.
    I think this is impossible because Steam will not give back money to Dovetail to take out products from one account so that Dovetail can give that money (less actually) to Microsoft on the same account.

How does Dovetail see this? How can we the users better support Dovetail (without re-purchasing everything again because we ain`t no rich...)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Is it helpful to buy content in the Dtg store? To be honest, I have no idea. It is Dtgs choice to use steam. I do not care for steam very much to be honest.

3. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Given the lack of Sales in the Microsoft store for Xbox + the fact that 90% of my game library is in Steam. No, not ever!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

AFAIK, TSW2 is not in the Microsoft Store (TSW2020 was, so they must have left for a reason).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. And the Microsoft Store is terrible.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Steam as least has a good refund system (2 weeks/2 hours). The PS Store’s refund system is utterly abysmal and hardly worthy of the name; you invalidate your right to a refund if you even just download the game/dlc, never mind try it out a bit. Not sure how the MS Windows Store refund works (if it exists), but I have a bought a few games on it.

Edit: As for helping DTG’s earnings, I have spent a small fortune on DLC (I have everything available for TSW on Steam and a few on Playstation). This makes DTG’s cost cutting on things like the BR101 and high-door Dostros very hard to swallow, they are obviously doing well and yet they cut corners to the great chagrin of their railfans. Just look at how they are heavily recruiting at the moment:
    https://twitter.com/dovetailgames/status/1388153751366774787?s=21
    Hey, didn’t they just fill the CM post (JD)?

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Driconian

Driconian Member

While indeed the idea of developers getting more money is welcome I would much rather to have all my games in one place, always have and always will.

8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Personally for me it is a big fat NO, I have built a grand collection from Steam and would not want to rebuild that collection again from Microsoft. As Rabid points out at least Steam has a fairly decent refund policy if you find out you do not like what you purchased. Not really sure what Microsoft's refund policy is on their store for PC.

9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

And you’ll never get a pre-order discount again and very few sales.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I remember last year, when TSW2 released, someone posted in this forums that MS gave him a full refund on everything TSW related so he could buy it in Steam and upgrade to TSW2 (as MS has no upgrade path). I have not seen any other company do that.

11. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

looking at the advert it’s for the fishing community

12. miaideli

miaideli New Member

TSW2 is in Microsoft Store and so are new instalments (such as BR101) (at least in Europe).

I get most comments, as I also have a bunch of stuff from TSW, (and TS, but that is another story).

I was actually wondering if it would be possible to migrate stuff from Steam to Microsoft (like teleportation), free of charge for the user, not to buy the routes again. This gesture to be made in order to support Dovetail or get a permanent price reduction (starting from August).

So if the user could opt out of Steam, he could win cloud gaming, keep pc gaming and win console gaming, all in one, as long as Microsoft is alive :)
    As a user for many years of Steam Platform, and practically not owning any game on Microsoft Store (not even Age of Empires or Flight Sim), I also agree that having all games in one place is a good idea. Especially when Steam has crazy sales (not like Epic, but still) plus that I see my friends in the chat. It makes for a better environment Steam, for gamers.

Anyway, so the majority does not care if Steam keeps his 30% share while the concurrence goes down at 12%.

Still, I wish a dev will see this post and say only if it would be possible to "teleport" a collection of TSW (1+2+Rush Hour) to Microsoft Store, free of charge, with the benefit of continuing on Microsoft Store (good gesture from user to give extra income to Dovetail on future purchases, or maybe a permanent discount from Dovetail to users).

13. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

TSW2020 is on there because it is on PC Game Pass. I don't think it got all the add-ons like the Class 20. So looks like it didn't get supported all the way.

All I see is the Xbox version on the Microsoft Store.

14. miaideli

miaideli New Member

Yes, it is only Xbox, but it could become a Play Anywhere title no? (Xbox/PC/Tablet)

15. miaideli

miaideli New Member

I don`t know, maybe Dovetail and Microsoft are not buddies anymore since Flight Sim... But how can we be buddies with huge companies that they make out the rules as they go... even that store cut could be only for the press, and revert to 30% or even more in the future.

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No.

17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

If DTG were to move TSW2 over from Steam to the MS store, that would be the end of it for me. The MS Store is the most rubbish storefront on PC by a huge margin. The directory structure, lack of executable files & games treated as an app rather than a game would probably make any kind of modding a thing of the past.

I have a few game purchases on the MS store but only because I really wanted the game and couldn't get it anywhere else at the time (Forza Horizon 3). I remember one time after an MS update, the MS Store somehow decided that the game wasn't installed anymore and forced me to redownload the entire game (~50GB+) even though all the files were all on the HDD but in some weird encrypted format. The actual game dir for FH3 was in C:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.OpusPG_1.0.125.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe ! Yep, that is logical !

There's no way I would willingly buy a game on that storefront again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I was an Alpha and Beta tester for MFSF2020 and went through the MS store for that simulation before it came available on Steam. Not a great experience, so I will stick with Steam for TSW2.....

19. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I’ve already spent nearly £200 on tsw2, I’m
    On a series s and I would not spend it again

20. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Migrating between platforms is not going to be popular - it's probably easier to just sell on both platforms as many developers already do.

• Like Like x 1
  21. solicitr

If you migrate to the MS Store, resign yourself to never getting anything on sale ever again.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This is what I'm wondering too.

I have no loyalty to the company behind steam, but I do like the user friendliness of the software. It's the main reason I've never bought any third party content for Train Simulator that I could not activate through steam. The easiness to install software and any add-ons, without having to worry about keeping software backups or access to serial keys, is one of the biggest advantages steam has. And I'd gladly pay a little extra to have that.

As for the Microsoft store... well... I had a few issues and difficulties when Minecraft migrated to Microsoft. So I'd definately not be in favour of it. But more stores seem to have issues. Not a fan of the Ubisoft or EA stores either. Although the Epic Store seems okay. A tad basic, but still easy to use.

For now, I'll just stick to steam. I think it's an amazing piece of software.

• Like Like x 2
  23. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Why is that? Plenty of Flight Sim stuff goes on sale.
    But on the other hand, the MS Store is dire. I will never purchase a thing from it again. Long tale of woe... I will spare you!

24. solicitr

Ask yourself who publishes flight sim, and you've snswered your own question

25. miaideli

miaideli New Member

The thing is we (rail enthusiasts) need to find solutions so that our favorite simulators get to more people that cannot afford them. More people should mean a smaller price.
    But what if it TSW goes to Epic Games? Can those guys be trusted even if they offer a tempting 12% cut instead of 30%?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Microsoft Store doesn't have more people though, the very small customer bases on it have actually caused tons of problems for multiplayer games on that platform for example. Even for non-multiplayer titles the small player bases means many companies lack incentive to keep updating their games for it compared to Steam. If Microsoft Store was doing well TSW2 would've almost certainly got a version released for it, and Microsoft wouldn't be putting their games on Steam.

Also the dev getting a bigger cut isn't nessicary gonna make the game more accessible to those who can't afford it as is. The devs aren't just gonna drop the retail price for the MS Store version, they're likely gonna keep it the same as Steam and take that extra money home. This is for a variety of reasons, like the MS Store having the smaller player base, thus needing to make more off the few players that use it as just one example. Add on top of that Steam having more frequent and better sales means a low budget player probably would be better off on Steam anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't see how the Epic Store would be less trustworthy than the Steam Store. Both are commerical companies trying to earn some money. Epic is relatively new in this market and thus needs some attractive pricing to lure people in. I wouldn't be surprised if their 12% cut eventually increases to 30%.

And then there's all kinds of other websites that sell steam keys, sometimes with even better discounts. https://isthereanydeal.com/ is a useful site for finding these deals.

• Like Like x 2