PC Mileage Countdown Inaccurate

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by OldVern, Apr 9, 2021.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This is on Clinchfield but I believe may affect running other routes too.
    Anyway to confirm my suspicion that the distance counter isn't working correctly, while running CRR97 Northbound Florida Perishable, I noted the time at 2.9 miles indicated from the "Stop At Location" marker. Running at around 28 MPH, after two minutes the distance remaining had only reduced by 0.1 miles to 2.8 miles.
    This means we cannot get an accurate idea of exactly how far the next objective is and does it affect the recorded mileage we have actually driven, in terms of achievements, etc?

Edit: I just went back in the game after pausing to type the above and it has jumped back up to 2.9 miles!! So exactly how far have I got left to travel, please...?

2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the distances are not the actual distance left to travel but instead the distance 'As the crow flies' to the stopping point.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Seems plausible!

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s always been a direct measurement to the objective (or signal or whatever) but it is much more noticeable on a windy route. It’s a quirk of TSW rather than a bug. It is working as designed. All measurements are from the player too, rather than the most appropriate part of the train.

• Like Like x 2
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And there is one place on the Clinchfield- farther south than the modeled route- which takes 14 rail miles to cover 1.9 miles straightline distance!

6. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

You can see the same on the Arosa Line, leaving Arosa and before you reach the first stop the distance increases because of all the Sharp s curves

7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yes this is correct. It is done so for performance reasons. At the Arosa line it is even worse, near Litzirüti you circle around the station, so it is very unreliable when you need to start braking. At the RSN route, when you approach Hagen you will see the distance increase for a while.

• Like Like x 1