Mml - Leicester To Derby Now Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dunkrez, Sep 3, 2020.

1. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Just a quick heads up, the MML Leicester to Derby extension is now available from Just Trains.

Initial thoughts are that it looks quite good, but framerate is highly variable.

Sadly, it doesn't play ball with the AP track patch, and displays all track on the MML as 2D.

Other than that, probably worth a punt if you like the Midland Mainline - more so once the frames are ironed out and an update for the AP JT track patch becomes available.

• Like Like x 1
  2. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

My big problem with Just Trains routes, although I have bought quite a few of them is, their obsession with trees at the side of the track making my favourite no.2 cam almost obsolete. I will watch for screen shots.

3. dunkrez

Yeah, I had that issue straight of Leicester. It's my most local mainline route though, so I do want to encourage it's inclusion. I hope that a fix for the 2d track becomes available pretty quickly.

I'll give it a full run in an EMT HST later to see if it's much cop.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

I’ve done just that and I have to say, it’s brilliant. Comfortably the best thing they’ve done so far. The detail is absolutely fantastic and they’ve really nailed the trackside scenery. Without a quick SSD though I suspect it would be hard work because it’s a bit laggy to say the least, even with one.

Minor gripe - I don’t know what it is, but something JT uses is definitely less FPS friendly than the DTG equivalent. I suspect it’s the trees but I’ve no way of knowing. The extensive use of the 222 on this route doesn’t help either as that has always been a major FPS drain.

What’s interesting is that after the update the frame-rate on the original part of the route is now worse than it was previously. Maybe it’s just the scenario I tried but I was a little disheartened to see that - it used to be a solid 60fps, now it’s spending a lot of time in the 40’s. The extension is similar, but maybe actually a bit better.

I know the track is 2D (it does look nice though - vast improvement), but I wonder given that’s all that’s changed if that’s the cause of this worse frame-rate, when put up against the AP track?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2020
  5. dunkrez

Yeah, I just finished the Sheffield to Leicester run and it is very good by JT standards, the power station is absolutely awesome :)

I'm keeping an eye out for an AP patch, that might help performance a little. The track is okay, but just very flat. Nicer than the golden rails of JT mind, it does look decent in motion.

The framerate, even on my 5GHz beast is sitting at about 30, dipping to 26/27 frequently, with huge stuttering dips to 14fps. There's something chunky about some asset loading somewhere and it would be great to see it ironed out. I know JT do update their routes and seeing as this is their best yet then perhaps they will strive for perfection and roll out some buttery smooth improvements.

Anyways, back to the trains, they aren't going to drive themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

Sounds similar. I don’t get what it is they’ve done to affect the frame-rate so much on the original release. It has to be the track.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dunkrez

I'm not so sure, here's a snippet from Mark, one of the developers:

"Cheers for the enthusiastic and very fair first look Alan! Agree with all your thoughts,I'm going to look at the lighting as it's not great at preset,bit cartoony,so that's on the list. In terms of cleanness,again agree,I think in some cases it may be a case of not weathering some bits if the weathering can't be done to enhance the look (i.e if it was done and didn't have the quality it'd end up looking worse than just clean). Think the only thing I differ on is scenarios,I am more leaning to the side of providing the customers with plenty out of the box,but aware of the the community aspect also,conscious of trying to balance it up so people can get play time value out of it without waiting for the 3rd party guys to get in on it. The embankment near Derby - mega old JT asset really,could do a lot better now,one to think about,on our minds too. Tile stutter - bad around Long Eaton due to the amount of lines needing detail,other areas I imagine partly the grass pack which maybe we can get rid of as we know it is a cause of it. As for the crossing,pretty sure it had sounds last week too lol Looking forward to the Cambridge route and thanks for the kind words. Mark".

It's always amazing seeing my work on any video, Thanks Alan :)

8. dunkrez

Full run in a HST from Sheffield to Leicester:

9. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Sorry to drag up an old thread but came on here looking to see if anyone had noticed a more severe FPS drop on these MML routes over others. Is there any way to swap out the trees? They're liberally placed which is lovely but it's causing a massive FPS hit on the route itself for me.

10. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1