Model Railroading & Trains

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JohnnyK98, Sep 7, 2019.

1. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Are there any train model enthusiasts here? I've been wanting to get into it, but afraid of commitment.

Here's a video I found for beginners, it's absolutely fascinating and you learn SO much about the locomotives!

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Model railroading has been on my radar since I was a kid, but being a career military, then a consultant that travels world wide, never had the time. So train simulation has been my “fill-in” hobby. Nice thing about simulations, I can take them with me as I travel.... sort of tough to do so with a layout. In my mid 60s so maybe when I decide to retire, ....

• Like Like x 1
  3. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I had a model layout when I was a kid that I enjoyed for many many hours. Nothing with any realistic scenery, just a layout on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I sadly sold all of it way too cheaply as a teenager, and I wish I still had it all.

I've thought about getting back into it, especially now that I have a son that loves trains, but he is still a bit to young for a layout at this point.

You might look into model railroad clubs, you can often run your own equipment on their layout, or just enjoy watching their equipment.

You might also check out Matt P.'s (Senior Producer of TSW) YouTube channel as him and his father have a large layout, they stream live from it from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I have a small collection, consisting of Bachmann and Hornby models in OO Gauge. Unfortunately, I don't have the room to set my collection out, but I love the passion of collectors when I see these great big layouts, with everything included, down to the small details.