Modern Ecml South: London To Peterborough

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by londonmidland, May 24, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Another route I am proposing to be built is the ECML, from London Kings Cross to Peterborough. This route was, and still is, a very popular route in Train Sim Classic, and would provide a tonne of variety in TSW 2.

Era:
    - 2016 - 2019

Route length:
    - 76 miles

Rolling stock:
    - LNER HST (we already have the base model and MK3s from GWE)
    - GN Class 313 (Minor adjustments needed from the SN 313)
    - GN Class 365 (we already have the base model from the 465)
    - GN 378 (only very minor adjustments needed from the GX 387)
    - Class 66

The route length may be a bit long for a TSW route, but be aware that the route gets increasingly more rural the further out of London you go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

This is about the 50th plus one I've given on this route. It's an absolute no hesitation wallet open purchase for me. Unless I'm at the point where I've fallen out of love with tsw I will not hesitate in any way shape or form to buy this

3. DandyesloveRailworks

DandyesloveRailworks New Member

no intercity 225?! it do run on this route

4. joshmichael#5347

joshmichael#5347 New Member

and would i add the flying scotsman and the deltics as a DLC

5. londonmidland

The 91 would be sold as a separate loco DLC, as it would be too much to bundle all those trains into one route release.

6. londonmidland

That wouldn't be appropriate for the era the route is set in.

7. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I've long advocated for this route. There's so much variety around 2018 and 2019, with a perfect mix of express and stopping services.

I think it would feel weird not having a Class 91 in it though. I would love to see it in TSW2.

8. londonmidland

It would certainly be a day one, full price purchase for me. Providing that both the scenery and service modes are up to scratch.

The 91 I wouldn't mind paying extra for, as a loco add-on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

One of my most requested routes and perhaps one of the best regarding existing rolling stock and layers potential to add more variety to the route.

Plus, the addition of a Class 700 would be highly beneficial to both SEHS and BML especially. For the latter it would really add immersion, being able to drive the Horsham-Peterborough service (between Three Bridges and East Croydon on London Commuter, then between Finsbury Park-Peterborough on ECML South) and the Brighton-Cambridge services (between Brighton-East Croydon on LC, then Finsbury Park-Hitchin on ECML South).

A nice addition I feel as mentioned above is the Great Northern 387s, some of which are Gatwick Express examples (see below):

Recent pictures of ECML South I took which complement this route suggestion:

Kings Cross
    KX.jpg

Peterborough
    Peterborough 2.jpg

Traffic at Peterborough
    Peterborough.jpg

Class 700 at Peterborough
    TL 700 at Peterborough.jpg

Great Northern Class 387 operated by Gatwick Express (apologies for being a bit blurry)
    GX 387.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you are looking for electric freight locomotives consider classes 90 and 92.
    Dual Mode Classes 88 93 99 Stadler Eurodual.
    You need to consider adding in Class 801 IET in LNER Paint so that TSW2 has it's own version of 801 at 8:01 Scenario. If Dovetail Games makes a rush hour train Pack for BML Northeast Corridor Boston-Providence and Nahverkehr Dresden The class 700 from that pack must layer here.
    Forum discussion on Rush Hour Train pack will have is comprised of Acela Express Class 700 and DB Baureihe 411 ICE-T.

11. londonmidland

None of these Electric freight locos are frequent visitors to the ECML. They’re more suited to the WCML. The ECML only really sees Class 66s and 68s for freight services.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me about that since my thinking was that ECML uses Electric locomotives for Freight services.
    Here is a Class 92 on ECML towards Doncaster for Scunthorpe

13. londonmidland

That video was from a long time ago. Plus, it would’ve been a one off as 92s are very rare to be seen on a freight service on the ECML.

As I said, most freight services on the ECML are hauled by 66s as most freight terminals are not electrified on that side.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

While I'd love to see any part of the ECML having this route, particularly seeing King's Cross, in this era without the Class 91 would be very weird.

Keeping within Dovetail's limits of how much stock they tend to add with one route I think it would make more sense to go more modern and do a class 800/801 and the 387, and layer the 700 from a future loco DLC (here or BML).

• Like Like x 2
  15. cloudyskies21

Personally, I'd rather see the Class 91s, love some of the special liveries. :love:
    Flying Scotswoman.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I don't think the 91s have ever worn a single bad livery. Maybe the National Express one is a bit dull but I wouldn't say it's terrible.

It'd be really cool if the IC Swallow liveried loco were in there. (I believe 91119?). Is that one still out in the wild or has it been withdrawn?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

91119 is still running about

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I see this route suggested 100s of times over the years. Why hasn't it been looked at yet. If the community are asking amd are willing to open their wallets for this, (I would be) then why the chuff are they releasing stuff I've never seen requested (luzern, harlem, thrander etc)

• Like Like x 1
  19. londonmidland

My guess is they don’t have the time or resources to make such a big route yet. Though it would be nice if they were working on it quietly in the background, so it’s be of a higher quality route compared to our usual offerings.

I’d personally pay more than the usual asking price for this route, providing it was well detailed and had a busy timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yep, it is. It comes to York quite a few times a week and is sometimes stabled overnight to do the first service in the morning from York.
    91s don't go further north than York now.

21. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

Oh I'd love to see the class 91, it's my favourite loco. But it likely wouldn't fit within Dovetail's budget for an ECML South to cover the 91 and Mk. 4s and DVT and then they also have to make the Class 365, and modify the HST, which you'd need to do for that era. One entirely new EMU (800) and reusing the Class 387 is more likely to be within budget, without KGX feeling weirdly empty, and you could then do the 91 as a loco DLC (or do a different part of the ECML during this era so the route can include just the 91 and HST without it feeling weird).

• Like Like x 1
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

These ECML threads keep coming up alongside WCML yet never seem to make it to the table that is chaired by "listening to what the community would like". Always perplexes me. One of these too are surely in early stages. You can go back years and see them asked for.

23. cloudyskies21

But what makes ECML and WCML a challenge, at least for TSW 2, involves route length and different rolling stock (from across several operators too). Following Rush Hour, we know that busy timetables can be achieved, but it's the two aforementioned factors that are probably deciders - and whether that makes an overall route superb or not.

24. 2008bmw525d

2008bmw525d Member

Yes i think so - commercially it is more acceptable to have a new class 800 and reuse the class 387 from London commuter, and enhancing ECML with the assets from Train Simulator for a potential longer route.

25. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The logical thing to do would be to make a Class 700 loco DLC for BML (and maybe SEHS) with it layering onto a future ECMLS, along with the Class 387 and a Class 800/801. The Class 700 could then be modified into a Class 717 meaning most services can be authentically replicated.

The more complicated issue here is what variants of the Class 800/801 to include. There's 5-car, 9-car, Bi-mode and electric only variants. Not including some variants could mean missing out services.

• Like Like x 2