Train Sim World 4 Modern Northern Transpennine Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sam#2862, Jan 3, 2023.

1. sam#2862

sam#2862 Well-Known Member

This is a route highly anticipated by the players of TSW and that is something I personally also want however this route in my suggestion will be longer than the TS and TSW versions, rather than being just between Manchester Victoria and Leeds this line would also run to Piccadilly from where the line splits from Stalybridge there is also a possibility for a route merge for my previous suggestion the Calder Valley Line (Calder Valley Line Suggestion For Tsw3 | Dovetail Games Forums).
    ROLLING STOCK:
    Firstly and most importantly we have to start with the workhorse of this route the Class 185:
    [​IMG]
    This absolute beast of a DMU was built by siemens in Germany as a part of the Desiro family (the 185 being the only diesel train in that family) it has a top speed of 100mph and runs with First Transpennine express (my favorite TOC) this train runs a variety of express and stopping services down this route and is the train you will see the most.
    Class 802/Nova 1:
    [​IMG]
    The class 802 is a bi-mode multiple unit (meaning that it can run on both diesel and electric power) built by Hitachi as a part of the AT-300 family of trains and was built in Italy, it has a top speed of 125mph on electric mode and a top speed of 100mph on diesel. These trains run mostly express or semi fast on this route.
    Class 158:
    [​IMG]
    This train certainly needs no introduction as it took the UK railways by storm running mostly regional express work, however sadly over the years it has been demoted to more commuter services. Being the oldest train here it also has the lowest speed limit but not by much it still has a top speed of 90mph (this could either be a train new to this route or a layer from another route like the CVL but then again so could any train) (side note seeing as though we are getting the Cummins engine variant from Skyhook only the Perkins version would need to be made for this route)
    POTENTIAL DLC/LAYERS:
    Class 68+mk5 coaches/Nova 3:

[​IMG]
    This train could either be a possibility for a route DLC or a Layer from the line between York and Scarborough. The class 68 built by Stadler and Vossloh these units also happen to be named one of the trains being named after one of the Huddersfield station cats, Felix (I'm not sure if there is a 68 called bolt too) This would be our first modern Loco hauled train and would be something that is very fun to drive most importantly it would require a guard mode to operate (hehehe).
    Class 323:
    [​IMG]
    Now I now what your thinking (this train doesn't run on this route its electric)
    Well actually this is here to run as AI at Manchester Victoria (it sometimes runs there)
    and between Guide bridge and Manchester Piccadilly (yes its electrified) to pose as the Manchester Piccadilly to Golossop and Hadfield.
    STATIONS:
    This route would include: Leeds, Cottingley, Morley, Batley, Dewsbury, Ravensthorpe, Mirfield, Deighton, Huddersfield, Slaithwaite, Marsden, Greenfield, Mossley, Stalybridge, (Guide Bridge, Fairfield, Gorton, Ashburys, Ardwick and Manchester piccadilly) Ashton under Lyne and Manchester Victoria.
    DEPOT:
    [​IMG]
    The siemens depot in Manchester between at Ardwick, where the 185's and previously the 350's were maintained would be good as an addition.
    SCENARIOS:
    I have noticed that a lot of route suggestions include a section about scenarios they would add so I thought I would give it a try.
    Double trouble:
    Take a 185 out of the siemens depot before operating an ECS to couple to a broken down train at Stalybridge before driving it the rest of the way to Leeds.
    slip 'n' slide:
    Drive this class 802 up to Manchester Victoria on a snowy day.
    The old Transpennine Express: (only possible if both CVL and NTP are owned and merged)
    Take this class 158 from Huddersfield-Leeds going via Halifax.
    Diverted: (only possible if both NTP and CVL are owned)
    drive this class 185 from Leeds-Manchester Victoria on the CVL as far as Sowerby Bridge and coming off the line at Milner Royd Junction passing through Brighouse and Joining the Huddersfield line at Heaton Lodge Junction where you can continue a normal service (due to a closure as part of the Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade).

As I haven't used this route in ages I won't bother with a points of interest section.
    and I'm not going to do a services section as there is a planned timetable change around now.
    Why we should get this route
    .we need a modern northern route
    .its scenic
    .its fast(ish)
    .its unelectrified
    .the trains are second to none
    .we can't go on without a 185
    .need I say anymore
    .ok
    .mix of commuter and express work
    .good distance between stations meaning you can get up to speed but slow down before it gets too boring

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 17
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Personally I don't see the point of doing NTP modern as it's the era that makes the route beautiful. There are many other lines in the north which could be done modern instead. I would prefer NTP to be kept in the same era but revamped and extended to Liverpool and/or York to take the mileage to 90 odd miles. Also DTG could add the class 25 and/or class 110 to really give us a proper BR blue route which this game fully deserves.

• Like Like x 11
  3. sam#2862

I don't mean replace it I mean like with rivet games how they did an addon for the modern Island line that way everyone is happy

• Like Like x 1
  4. matt#4801

Yeah I know but I would rather NTP was given SEHS treatment in the era in is currently based in BR blue rather than redo the same route modern.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I agree with this suggestion but I would prefer a different modern route like Leeds to York and Selby which has the same trains.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

As a frequent rider of this route, I must confess to really wanting to see a modern version of it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You know when people (women) take a nice old mahogany dressing table and paint it pale blue and stick seashells to it to match the curtains and cushions in their bedroom, then put a earthenware vase with twigs in it on top as decoration? Taking the beautiful NTP and decoupaging it with modern trains would be the same kind of vandalism. I understand that there has to be some modern routes and trains in TSW for those who lack taste like them but you leave my lovely BR routes alone :D

• Like Like x 7
  8. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

(I'm going to get brutally attacked for this) I don't really like the BR blue era.. I would love a modern era ntp - preferable though longer then the current one

• Like Like x 7
  9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Like some other people have said, I would prefer if the modern route is set in a different part of the route so there is variety in the routes. That way, you still get those iconic trains and people are happy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

No, but I remember when I was a bairn, my grandad painting a lovely old rattan chair entirely in WHITE GLOSS EMULSION and then it slowly yellowing over time from his smoking habit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I would love to see NTP modern! Great selection of trains available to use! Personally, If I had to pick one, it would be the Class 158! ;)
    Great Suggestion!

• Like Like x 2
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. sam#2862

again this would be re released rather than replacing the original and honestly I only like modern trains (80s+) because thats what I know and for this route I would like it more than to keep having to pay for the same class 47 over and over

14. sam#2862

I would have suggested that but it would leave too many empty gaps as dtg won't model TFW trains, 319's,331's,350's,390's e.t.c and especially not only for a small section of route I tend to downplay my suggestions because you can't expect too much or you will get really disappointed when it doesn't happen

15. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I would like something like this. :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. sam#2862

thank you

• Like Like x 1
  17. matt#4801

Not really as if DTG extended to York or Liverpool it would be able to come with another loco and dmu which would make NTP more complete. A modern version would be empty due to most of the required stock not being in game and we seem to be lucky to get two new classes included in a route.
    Basically it would be better in every way to build on NTP in the same era and then focus on another route to bring modernity to the north.

• Like Like x 4
  18. sam#2862

You bring a valid point but while I do agree with your logic I would just rather have modern NTP I just prefer it

19. matt#4801

Fair-dos like you prefer the modern era I just prefer the BR blue era.

• Like Like x 4
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I really don't see the point of modernising it - if you want a more recent era, buy the TSC version and I think it's ATS who sell the 185. But I join with others who think this would be a travesty and any rework should focus on extending what we have in its current era and adding a Class 25 and Class 124 DMU (or at least a 108).

Besides IOW worked because it is a short 8 mile A to B self contained route and the infrastructure is largely as it was, apart from the addition of an extra crossing loop. Besides Rivet couldn't even configure the new signalling properly, giving clear distant signals with the associated section signal at red and green signals on to a red.

• Like Like x 2
  21. matt#4801

124 is a good shout: I can't believe I had forgot about them really!

• Like Like x 2
  22. driverwoods#1787

One way to do that might be opening Northern rail license then bundle that with my proposed route the Calder Valley Line

• Like Like x 1
  23. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to see a modern Southern Trans Pennine (Hope Valley Line). Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly. Then it just leaves the Woodhead Line to be done ;)

• Like Like x 3
  24. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

If a modern trans-pennine route was produced maybe the Hope Valley would make more sense rather than duplicating an existing route.

There is so much more that could be done to the original NTP route, we don't have a complete BR period route in the sim really. TVL misses the Bishop Auckland branch where trains from Saltburn ran and NTP really is only a segment of a longer service. WCL is supposed to be a BR period route but fails in that regard in realism and is only part of a route. There is lots of potential DLC for NTP and if it was extended to Liverpool for example (something which has an almost zero chance of happening) it would provide a much more fulfilling experience for us BR blue fans.

However I like driving modern trains too and a modern Northern diesel route is certainly something missing from the UK dlc.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Instead of modern ntp, we could have the modern calder valley line which is (a bit bias being my local line) way more scenic and a bit faster. The calder valley line is the real northern trans-pennine, as if you look on a map the calder valley line goes through the pennines and is just a bit above ntp

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  26. driverwoods#1787

Correct and it's Northern Rails Trans Pennine main line. By the way you have been helping me on my Calder Valley Line suggestion for Northern Rail trains. Modern NTP can link to our Calder Valley Line suggestion if the Mirfield to Hebden Bridge connector is made. Forming a bundle called Leeds City to Manchester Victoria via Huddersfield & Halifax.

• Like Like x 2
  27. sam#2862

I agree that I would rather have the CVL too with it being my local line but the Huddersfield line or whatever you want to call it is actually faster

• Like Like x 1
  28. sam#2862

I would love BR blue routes if DTG didn't keep sticking the same 101's and 47's everywhere. The only train unique to the route we have is the 45 not to mention that as DTG can no longer get any new high quality source material it will lack that detail that modern routes get

• Like Like x 3
  29. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Is it?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Yes, for the northerners who want a modern northern route in tsw like me.

• Like Like x 1
  31. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Well they aren't "the players of TSW" they are a specific group. The OP words this in a way which implies that it's what everyone wants.

32. sam#2862

well maybe not you then but most people

• Like Like x 1
  33. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

I think both of they sound great ideas I think both ideas will come at some point as a new route and a new expansion for NTP

• Like Like x 1
  34. jefalcon6

jefalcon6 Active Member

Love to see the Class 68 in TSW3

• Like Like x 2
  35. sam#2862

The TSC version was disgraceful plus I don't have money to burn thats like 60-70 pounds to buy TSC, The Huddersfield line and the Alan Thomson Sim 185

• Like Like x 1
  36. sam#2862

Me too

• Like Like x 1
  37. sam#2862

mirfield-Hebden Bridge connector?

38. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes please give us the Class 124 Transpennine dmus and perhaps the Class 123 also, the latter would also work on DLOGW as they were in operation around Paddington/Reading in 1971 (era DLOGW is set).

• Like Like x 1
  39. sam#2862

a 110 would
    make for a nice DLC
    would be something I'd enjoy and becoming more likely considering we now have Glossop line and the 158 already

• Like Like x 3