More Time To Set Up The Train

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rpb1966, Aug 26, 2021.

1. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

Im guessing that in real life, train drivers get at least 3-5 minutes to set up their train. So why on Train Sim 2 do we have minimal time, especially on the Bakerloo Line and the GWR route.
    Rushing to do things in minimal time causes mistakes and possible stress.

Ok yes it is only a game but DTG give us more time to set up ready so we have time to clear our heads and have a good run with minimal mistakes.

• Like Like x 17
  2. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

My idea would be that the player can select in menu how much time he want to have to setup the train. Yes, I know it has to be in moderation because of the timetable, but in the timetable the trains are usually already there before the departure. This would allow casual players who don’t need time to get ready to drive as before and players who need to give themselves a few more minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. speedbird6780

speedbird6780 Member

In Rush hour, you don't even have a minute. Just a couple of seconds. It should be two minutes on British and German routes and five minutes on American routes (where you need to walk back)

• Like Like x 1
  4. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Sounds good to me.

5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Takes considerably more time to set up the British Class 101, with their manual destination boards, on both ends of the train, as well as having set up rear lights on the rear cab. Especially if you don't want to run.

Besides, regardless of being able to set up the train from within the front cab, shouldn't a driver always walk to the rear end to check if the lights are functioning correctly?

• Like Like x 1
  6. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I know it wouldn't be easy to implement, but ideally, scenario's and services would start with time not running. Player can then take all the time they need to set up the train. When that is done player could go to menu, choose 'start service' and only then would the clock start running.

• Like Like x 1
  7. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Except in scenarios there is usually plenty of time:

The idea of this is to start your service on foot :) so you have to be on time like 10 mins earlier. Exactli this makes the 24 h so interessting. You get in on time and take over your train.

Example 1:

In northern trans pennine you have a timetable run of 2 class 40 and a heavy oil train of 13 loaded wagons. I appear 20 mins earlier in manchester and the train is comming around 15mins earlier. So i take over and have plenty of time.

Example 2 tvl:
    Of course there are runs where you have a shift change on a main line (tvl) there your time is less, but there is no reason to do the brake continuity test so 2 mins are enough in this case.

Example 3 tvl.

In tvl there are runs from darlington to redcar, unlosd & load the wagons, and drive back after that.
    U could start each run from menu, or what i do start on foot, set weather and time and take over the train. This way its possible to run all 3 timetables without going back to menu. Even if you are behind schedule, making a break continuity test for about 4 mins before going back. Gold is still doable without problems, just keep speed below the limit.

Even after doing those 3 runs you can just take over the next 101 dmu service from darlington.

My opinion is clear, that still not all players got the benefits from the 24h timetable.

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Which is not a universal solution. I‘ll show you two examples.
    1. Some trains (especially passenger trains) arrive right on time. That means that even when spawning on foot, you have little to no extra time beyond passenger boarding.
    2. What about substitution? If I spawn on foot, I have to take whatever loco is randomly chosen instead of the one I want. Before you try to argue that that‘s realistic and a real driver would have to put up with that - yes, true, but this is a simulator and not real life.
    Spawning on foot prior to the service beginning can help with set-up time depending on route and service, but it‘s hardly the universal answer to needing more time to set up a train correctly.