Xbox Mouse & Keyboard

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by xpert2036, Jun 18, 2020.

1. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

The keyboard works on the Xbox but not every key works like the shortcut's to uncouple or to move cab's.The reason I use it is to take screenshot's but there is n zoom feature.There is no mouse support on the console's so if you want a good screenshot you can only take with regular controls

2. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

Only keybinds possible on a controller are possible with the keyboard.

3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Obviously not Xbox related, but does anyone know if the PS4 Controller Keyboard (the one that plugs into the actual controller) works with TSW 2020?

4. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

From what the steam page says, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I recently saw a livestream hosted by DGT Matt... he had a keyboard with him that attaches to the PS4 controller, and he said it apparently works well. Not sure if there are any issues with it, but he didn’t mention any at the time.

I’m currently running with a small BT foldable keyboard with my PS4 with all of the function keys that a std PC keyboard has. I also discovered that many of the keyboard functions listed in the manual for PC systems also work on this keyboard with my PS4, though quite a few key mappings are different than what’s listed in the manual. I plan on listing these new mappings in another thread soon if anyone is interested.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Did Matt say what PS4 controller keyboard he was using? I’m interested in getting one, but don’t know if it’ll do everything I would want it to, including PZB etc.

Do you have a link to the video?

7. Stockton Rails

...here’s a link to that video, fast-forward to 35:10 into the video to hear Matt’s comment about the controller keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The keyboard he shows isn’t a PS4 keyboard, but is a handheld, Bluetooth/wireless keyboard sold on Amazon. I think I might go ahead and buy one. L

9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

And it’s ordered.

10. Stockton Rails

Let me know once it comes in and if you like it... did it have decent reviews on Amazon?

11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I have the keyboard. It seems OK. Being used to the PS4 controller though it is taking some getting used to, but for the price it’s recommended to anyone who wants to use a keyboard.

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I use a full size Dell keyboard (pilfered from an office somewhere in England after it became surplus to requirements there) plugged into the usb port on the front of the PS4 (I’m assuming the xbox has a front port too) with its old fashioned long cable. It sits nicely on my lap while I’m driving trains and all the keys are big enough for human fingers to press just one at a time, is completely stable when pressing a key due to its large size, and leaves my hands free for the controller. It has all the function keys necessary for complete operation.

All these tiny keyboards that are available with keys smaller than human fingers, and slide off your lap and end up down the side of the sofa cushion like a TV remote does, aren’t a patch on the real deal :D

14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The smaller one is a bonus as you can use it handheld. If mouse support gets added and all function keys are mapped in TSW 2, it could replace the controller altogether (with some practice).

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s not for me though. If I have two hands on my controller I don't have a hand free to hold a keyboard with. I can take one hand off the controller to press a key on a keyboard but I don’t want to be holding the keyboard in my hand. With the current key mapping you need both, so the keyboard has to go on a flat surface. I would never use the keyboard for the main controls of the train, the controller is much more suited to that. I suppose everyone has a different preference for how they play and full keyboard and mouse support would give all players the option for their preferred method. I’d still find the keys on a mini keyboard unsuited to the task of full train control but others might find it ideal.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the new controller and keyboard controls are being introduced for TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Don’t get me wrong. If DTG nail the controls on the control pad for TSW 2, I won’t used a keyboard at all. I much prefer a game controller.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stockton Rails

I use a Jelly Comb ultra-thin foldable bluetooth keyboard that’s PC/iOS/Android compatible (switchable modes) with my PS4 these days. I has all of the normal PC function keys on it, and mostly I use it to disable all HUD overlays when taking pics. It’s about 12” wide unfolded with decent sized keys on it, and I do have to set it on a flat surface to keep it stable during use. Really like it so far... not too expensive either.

• Like Like x 1