Move Tsw2 To New Pc?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by unix, Jun 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. unix

unix New Member

Hi, how can I move my install of Train Sim World 2 to a new PC running Windows? Will just copying the Steam game files onto the new PC work or is there something else required?
    Both machines are running Windows 10 and have the same Steam account.

2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

copy paste this folder:
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2021
  3. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Or just the savegame folder

4. unix

unix New Member

Will I have to redownload the game too? I think that the folder in Documents contains only the Game settings and progress but I am not sure.
    And, should I copy C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\TSW?

Thank you for your help.

5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

If You don't know how to do it manually = you have to redownload.
    Yes, mentioned copy paste folder is your profile / save game folder only.
    You can copy-paste DLCs for saving some time :)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC

6. unix

unix New Member

I'm sorry I'm new to this game.
    How can I do it manually?
    It took me about two hours to download the whole game the first time as I have the deluxe edition, and can't spend so much time at it again. I do have an external hard disk that I can use, but don't know how to move the game manually.
    Sorry and thanks!

7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

If you ask that question (how?) - better to download :)
    BR o7

EDIT

You can connect an external drive, create a library folder for Steam on it, move TSW there, connect this drive to a second computer, add the Steam library folder from the disk to the second computer, transfer TSW to a new computer from this folder.

Believe me - if you don't know how to do it, better to download it again.
    Forgive me, I don't want to create such an extensive manual :)

PS 1.5 hours have passed between the first and last post of this thread. Download. Don't mess around :)

8. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think you should just copy the whole TSW install directory. Then when you press install on the new computer, it should detect files that are already in place and not download them again.

• Like Like x 2
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And the best way to do it is just like that, hehe

10. unix

unix New Member

Thanks a lot, all! I'll surely try copying the files first, but if that doesn't work it'll be faster to just download.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Copying it seems like a bad idea and I don't think Steam will simply accept a new folder as somehow the game being installed already.

I'm also not sure if Steam makes registry changes when installing new games (that could be an issue as well if you just copy folders).

But Steam has an in-built function to back up game files which can be used to transfer games without having to download. Right click on TSW -> Properties -> Local Files -> Backup game files.
    If you don't have a storage device for such a large file then maybe you can transfer the backup via LAN.

• Like Like x 2
  12. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Did that just recently and it works like that. Be sure to move the entire Steam\steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2 folder while steam is closed of course, to the new destination. Steam will show "Install" when started, click that, it then switched to "detected local installed files" and re-integrates everything just fine, also creates the app xml file and don't worry

Did that for moving the game to a dedicated SSD (with its own steam library) and also after restoring the entire game from backup (not steam backup, in the end a file copy)

Edit: All in addition to the stuff in Documents/My Games\... when you want to restore your profile/avatar/progress and not just want to save download time

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. unix

unix New Member

Thank you!