Moving On...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TrainSim-Luke, Nov 22, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

Hey everyone.

It's sad day for me as I confirm that I'm stepping down as the Trains Community Manager. It has been a great experience, but for personal reasons I have to move on and be a bit closer to home.

This is not a goodbye forever though! I fully intend to remain active in the community and am even exploring options for my own TS content making and streaming.

It's been an amazing time here as Trains Community Manager and I would also like to thank you all for your warm welcome and support during my time.

Of course until the new Community Manager arrives (job position is still available to apply for here! https://dovetailgames.com/vacancies/community-manager/) other members of the Trains team (like DTG_Daniel) will be posting here so you wont be left out!

Thank you all, see you out there!
    TrainSim-Luke
    #WeAreRailFans

• Like Like x 7
  2. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

we will miss you :( <3

3. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Like others Luke I’ve appreciated your involvement.

On the posting for the position personally if I was in charge I’d do something different. DTG should grab someone in the company (the marketing department would be an obvious solution) and rotate someone through the position. Part of the assignment should be to be to report back to Senior Management on what the perception is of the products and what are recurring themes.

In fact it wouldn’t hurt a Senior Manager to spend a few months in the role as part time forum coordinator. Other parts of the job (competitions etc.) could easily be passed to the marketing department. Perhaps management might even learn something useful. And if they’re too busy to interact with their clients, that tells you a lot about the management.

With all due respect to Luke the company has better uses of money than a full time coordinator, like bug fixing. Perhaps there’s even a member of this forum who might be persuaded to take on the role part time and remotely. After all provided they had access to the development and marketing team (email and phone) a good candidate should be able to perform the majority of the roles.

Some things might not function as well, for example screen shot contests might become more informal, but perhaps there are some higher priorities?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I think you've done a good job in a position that I can imagine has been rather challenging at times. I wish you all the best for the future Luke.

5. Medellinexpat

From the number of replies, given that Luke coming to the role just a few months ago attracted such a lot of comments, my guess is that many have missed his post.

Interesting that he chose to post this in ‘Off Topic’ rather than ‘News’.

In the past I’ve suggested people look at the Glassdoor.com reviews of people work experience at Dovetail games. To be fair the latest one is very positive. My vote for the coordinator role is the Chatham employee who posted the September 2nd review. Here is a person who feels our pain!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Didnt miss it just didnt comment. I wish Luke well but I was disappointed with the levels of communication both before and during his tenure. The forums weren't cleaned up and aside from some positive moves like screenshot competition, this place is no different from a year ago. Thanking employees for doing their jobs is fine, but Ive never met Luke, hes never met me, so whoever comes it doesnt really matter. Im sure the next person will be just as hamstrung by dtg.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Medellinexpat

Puffing Nora I thought, at least initially there was an improvement in communication although over time I thought it reverted to where it started.

I know that the job does have other responsibilities but if you look at the duties most of them refer to communications on this board and others, together with the Dev streams.

Am I alone in thinking that 35-40 hours a week to do those tasks seems like a lot of time? As forums go I don't think that this and the Steam one are particularly busy. How much moderating and responding is actually needed?

As to being 'hamstrung' by DTG perhaps? But I thought that the whole idea, when he came in, was to make significant change.

8. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Yeah, my post came over a bit too strong for the point I was trying to make. Dangers of the written word ;)