Msts Route Remakes

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā, Mar 31, 2021.

1. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Seeing as Marias Pass, Settle - Carlisle and the NEC has ben made for TS, I thought, why not some other old MSTS routes?

Innsbruck - St Anton (set in present day)
    Tokyo - Hakone
    Hisatsu Line

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

the NEC was only remade from dc to baltimore they should've made it all the way to philadelphia

3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The NEC is currently 3 parts
    -Original NEC from New York to Philadelphia
    -The New York New Haven route.
    -And the Recently released DC to Baltimore.

Neither of these will happen from DTG themselves, as the only producer of Japanese content on TS2021 is Union Workshop.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  4. nexn98

nexn98 New Member

Another MSTS route that need to get remade is the Westcoast way from Brighton to Portsmouth but add it on the Brighton mainline so you can Victoria to Portsmouth in one run

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

A remake of London and South East set in the same era would be lovely.

The one I would love to see would be the Cambrian 2 route, set in the 50's/early 60's, Shrewsbury to Pwllheli with branches and plenty of Western Region and BR standard steam action.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I do hope West Coastway appears, Danny could merge it with South London to Brighton and maybe Portsmouth Direct line and South Western Main Line (if possible). Imagine running a railtour from London Victoria down via Hove to Bournemouth and back to London Waterloo via Guildford, would be a massive route!

• Like Like x 1
  7. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

Well, the best merge you could probably get is the full ECML. 393 miles from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverly.

Actually, on the topic of merges, wonder if the fife circle can be merged with Ediburgh - Glasgow, Glasgow Airport route, Suburban Glasgow Northwest (Queen Street to Helensburgh), West Highland line South (Helensburgh to Fort William) and the extension from Fort William to Mallaig? and WCML north and Settle & Carlisle?

8. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I think it's best to keep the definition of MSTS routes as those built in to it. If you count add on routes then the scope of MSTS routes is ridiculous, at that point it becomes a almost useless definition.

Anyways considering all the other Japanese commuter routes already available for TS I don't think we're missing a ton by not having Tokyo - Hakone or the Hisatsu Line. Wouldn't exactly complain if Union Workshop did them mind you, but I'd rather see them do other things like some Shinkansen projects. Or maybe more stuff in China, something like a Chinese steam route could be fun for example.

A Orient Express era Innsbruck - St Anton would be pretty great to have, but the amount of research and effort to make it would be so high. And considering there's no one developing old time stock for Europe in a big capacity it's extremely unlikely.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

All four would be a great mix. PDL, LB, WC, and SLN. THAT is a network.

• Like Like x 1
  10. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Fife Circle and E-G meet at Edinburgh, ok, Suburban Glasgow meets at Queen Street, at Helensburgh the WHL (and the extension) connect, now, this is where it gets, interesting.
    To my knowledge there is no direct link between Glasgow Central (GARL, WCMLn) and Edinburgh Waverley (or even Queen Street)
    The only connection I know of is if you download DPSimulation's Edinburgh-Glasgow extended scenery thingy, which connects at Carstairs, which connects with WCMLn, which connects with S-C at Carlisle, and GARL at GC.

11. Cyclone

The best way to go about this is to pick up WCML North and merge it with the route to the west, which goes to Newcastle. You can then connect JT's route to Edinburgh. A bit roundabout.

Otherwise, you are correct, and the Umap confirms it. What we really need is for Rivet or someone to take the part that was just released, covering Belgrove on the way to Springburn, and extend a route from Glasgow Queen Lower Level to Bathgate, and onwards to Edinburgh. The path from Belgrove to Springburn can be maintained as the western end of this DLC, and the termini beyond that maintained, with a new terminus going west from the upper level of Glasgow Queen, which can be retained (Ashfield can exist, but beyond that is scrubbed). This by rule would require the Gartcosh Junction as we would travel through Robroyston and Steppes, and the Gartcosh beyond that merges with Coatbridge. Going north gives us Cumbernauld and Greenfaulds. Beyond Cumbernauld is the original Edinburgh-Glasgow, and then that leaves Grangemouth to the north of that to figure out while another DLC would be handy to go north of the line to Perth.

Back to our line, the Belgrove path is the main path. This path takes us to Bathgate. At Coatbridge, there is a line existing that connects the path from Whiffet to the line to Bathgate. This is considered a siding today, and joins at Sunnyside Junction. So access to Edinburgh via this line may not be perfect, but it's what we have to work with. Newbridge Junction eventually connects Bathgate to Edinburgh, and the rest of the northern line would not form part of the new DLC (the 2010 release). Route mergers would be able to connect Cumbernauld to Edinburgh via that 2010 release. If you feel like giving it a go, you can start at Coatbridge and connect to the 2010 line, and put that on the Workshop.

Another nice touch would be for the new DLC to go to Glasgow Central as well, putting it on the same map as Glasgow Queen (which is retained). This allows for a refresher of the scenery from Glasgow Central to Whiffet. The extension to Anderston Station can be included on the alternate line. This allows for a proper route merge with Suburban Glasgow. I figure the new DLC could perhaps go to Patrick Station to provide a good end point for travel, and the line ends before Hyndland. This means the Charing Cross access to Glasgow Queen can be kept in.

Another possibility is they release the new route but make the Suburban Glasgow a requirement. That way, the full drive to Edinburgh from Helensburgh Central is an option for drivers. It would match this video and make that a drive we can simulate. It also means we don't have to merge the routes ourselves. And it also makes you happy if the Glasgow Central path is added.

I also wonder if they are going to do the Argyle Line as a single connected piece of DLC. This would be a prime case of asking you to pay for the same track twice. Figures, doesn't it?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see the original WCML North get an update as an official DLC like the new Portsmouth Direct line. Great route but it really shows its age. The suburban lines out of Glasgow Central would be fantastic as a companion to Suburban Glasgow Northwest (Suburban Glasgow Southeast maybe?).

Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk is also quite old but not as bad as WCML North. I feel like this route would be better for TSW as the length is fairly modest and provides enough interest having two major cities, various lines (via Falkirk High or Falkirk Grahamston), freight (Grangemouth area) and using a new unit (Class 385) plus something recycled like a Freightliner Class 66 with container wagons for the freight aspect. Maybe Rivet Games would develop that one given they are based in Stirling I believe.

Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate would also be good since it's new track, could include a new unit (Class 334) and would be a good companion to Suburban Glasgow and allow us to do full sleeper train runs between Edinburgh and Fort William (with route merges).

• Like Like x 2
  13. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

What I'd give for the whole UK rail network that's already in the sim, merged into one single route. Probably would never happen, but can only dream.

I know that Danny does some great merges. Was thinking that the scottish lines could be his next project? He merged WCML south with Birmingham X City. Now he just needs to add the Trent Valley section....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cyclone

The memory required for that would crash the game instantly.

Danny notes that Trent Valley has different origin points. They can be adjusted, but it takes more work and is more pain than he'd want to deal with. Also, I suggested that only be done when and if DTG continues from Birmingham to the north, which would then tread on the territory of Missing Link, but perhaps in a different time period so as not to be the same project. Nonetheless, it's one of many great conectors to North Wales Coastal to resell that line (another is going Shrewsbury-Chester and adding that as a stub to the route, and then BMG just needs to extend Welsh Marches to Crewe).

• Like Like x 1