Multiple Unit Conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reef, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

How easy/difficult would it be to convert a Class 319 into a Class 769 I'm more concerned about it running on diesel and the respective sounds and functions rather than any in cab alterations needed.

Anybody know what I'd need to edit?

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Bear in mind I'm not looking at doing a full realistic conversion just a hack and bodge really :)

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Superalbs did a repaint of the GWR 800/802 for the Class 800 that comes with ECMLS - London to Peterborough
    https://superalbs.weebly.com/train-sim-reskins.html - most the way down the page
    And what he did was to make a Diesel versions of the 802 by using the Class 170 sounds.

There is no bi mode so you can run as a Diesel or an Electric

If you look thru the way he did it that might give you the answer

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Thanks Peter, I'll take a look.

5. claggybob

claggybob New Member

For a *very* crude conversion, I think the main thing you'd need to do is make it not require electricity; which probably just needs a few tweaks in the engine simulation .bin (there are settings for 3rd rail/pantograph) - have a look in there and compare with a diesel model.

Of course having done only that, it'll still look, sound, and pull away like an electric. You might need to force the pantograph low (I don't know if, having declared it as not having one, it will still raise when under a wire - I imagine tweaks to loco bins (animation objects) would sort that - if there's a panto-low variant to compare with I'm sure you'll find clues); after that it'd be aliasing sounds from a diesel and fiddling with tractive effort vs. speed to make it more diesel-like (which you might have to do anyway to get the sounds right), and then perhaps doing things like adding/aliasing exhaust particle animations.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Thanks cb I'm looking at the 800 bin files that Peter suggested, don't know if I'll be able to get the exhaust emitters in without 3D modelling so a bin file hack for engine type and sounds is probably as far as I'd get for now and like you say tractive efforts and the like after that, I wonder what sounds I should use for a close approximation though, I'm assuming another bi modal MU but not really sure what to use (and of course whether I even own any other Bi modal MU's)

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If it is done the same way as the GWR 802 Superalbs created a Diesel version and aliased the sounds to the Class 170 as that widely available. But it only runs on the diesel and not on Electric.

Silly question - When is an Electric not an Electric - when it is a MKS Class 73.
    MKS released the Gatwick Express Class 460 and also did a repaint and physics tweak of the DTG Class 73.
    An unusual feature it the MKS 73 will run on Electric even if the track properties are Non Electrified
    Not sure if the DTG Gatwick 73 will do that?

If you could work out how to make the unit run on either power supply that might be the way forward.

With the 802 the End coaches are Driving Pantograph Trailers and the three centre coaches are MSO vehicles.
    The 319/769 has diesel engines under the two Driving Trailers driving the motors on the power car.
    - start at 1m40s

Norther 769

Peter

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_769 mentions a MAN diesel engine but if you watch the TfW version there is not much exhaust smoke and the Class 170 might be not that far out

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I noticed that with the exhaust too, only really a heat haze, I actually drive a MAN euro 6 truck and I can confirm no smoke or diesel fumes smell.
    Regarding the 170 sounds that might make it a little easier then especially as Superalbs has already gone to the trouble of separating the 170 sounds out in his 800 mod, hopefully I can see more clearly what's needed.

10. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Don't forget the fuel in the container component.

11. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah done the fuel thing, that's showing in the full HUD, I've got the unit in-game as a separate entity (I've called it TfW Class 769) but I've messed up something somewhere as when I put the reverser in forward it only goes 10% of the way forward unless I then click on the key symbol on the full HUD and then it goes to 100% but then switches itself back to neutral after a few seconds, not got the sounds working either as I'm getting no idling or revving noise.

Think I need to go back to square one and start from scratch.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Is there no way this can be used in some way?

upload_2020-11-22_9-0-21.png

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Hmm not sure, wonder why they didn't make it playable? Seems a lot of effort to go too just for ai only.
    Don't own the AP 319 so I can't look into it.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It was updated last year and is drive able but currently without any Diesel sounds -
    Although the Traction Motors can still be heard like the real units
    https://www.major.wales/reskins/TFW

You only need the AP 319 if you wish to make the TfW version -
    Just modify the default units bins based on the info in this download

• Like Like x 1
  15. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

A ‘cut and shut’, you mean :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Great thanks Peter I'll look into it later.

That works too :)

17. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

“No money back, no guarantee...” :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Best Trot off then. ;)

• Like Like x 2