My Hopes For Sherman Hill

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Krazy, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

For a while, Sherman Hill was at the very top of my list of most wanted routes in TSW. I have a few memories of playing the route in Train Simulator 2013, and I enjoyed everything on the route, from how busy the route was, the exciting action found in the yards, and the variety of trains to drive. I still remember completely ignoring a red signal and crashing into the side of an autorack train. This was 8 years ago, so I was quite young and didn't know how to do things.

So, seeing this route come to Train Sim World has made me very happy. Hopefully my excitement doesn't end with disappointment, as I'm expecting great things with this route. This post here is simply a list of things I'm hoping to see from some aspects of the route. So let's start with the big one:

SD70ACe
    Well, it's very nice of Dovetail to make my most wanted route, and they really decided to include my favorite locomotive as well. I'm curious to see what they'll do with the SD70ACe, as there really is a lot they could do with it. First of all, there's two versions of it:
    Nose Headlight version
    [​IMG]

Cab Headlight version
    [​IMG]

They're both beautiful in their own way! I personally prefer the cab headlight version, although the nose headlight loco is still cool. In the best case scenario, we could get both versions! But as I said, I like the cab headlight loco more, it looks cooler.

Another thing to note about the SD70ACe would be the sounds. Of course, we have the tread that Matt made in the PC forum. Hopefully that will lead to some good results for the sounds. Out of all sounds, the most important one will obviously be the horn. If you've seen any video of the SD70ACe, you'll know that it has a beautiful horn, and it would be silly to not have a good quality horn. I'll be really happy if the sounds are done well, because I would hope that this will become my favorite loco in TSW.

One last thing, since DTG is making the SD70ACe, it would be silly to not have the heritage locos. These would be able to come into the game if the SD70ACe is the cab headlight version, and can be implemented similarly to the Trainbow and Medway 2025 liveries on the Class 395. Here's a few of the heritage locos that I'd love to see:
    UP 1995 (my personal favorite)
    [​IMG]
    UP 1989
    [​IMG]
    UP 1996
    [​IMG]
    UP 1983
    [​IMG]

SD40-2

Sure, we've had quite a few SD40s in the game already, but this loco makes sense for the smaller jobs, and hopefully this means we'll get switching services! I would assume that this loco will be similar to the SD40-2 included on Cane Creek. With that assumption, here some fixes and improvements I'd like:
    - Alerter working properly
    - Ditch lights do not flash
    - New SD40 horn (you know, the one that was supposed to be used for Clinchfield)

Rolling Stock
    Sherman Hill basically sees all types of freight trains. Manifest, grain, autorack, intermodal, coal, etc. So the list of rolling stock could be quite high for this one! I'm guessing that we'll see:
    - Boxcars (perhaps even some new ones!)
    - Covered hoppers (smooth and ribbed)
    - Tanker cars
    - Centerbeams
    - Open coal hoppers
    - Intermodal well cars
    - Autorack cars
    - New rolling stock such as gondolas or refrigerator cars

A few notes to add:
    - For intermodal trains, hopefully the containers will have variety. Hamburg-Sud, Hapag-Lloyd, and ONE will be great inclusions, but if DTG doesn't have any more container licenses, then I hope to see some plainly colored containers to get colors such as green, blue, yellow, and brown.
    - I'd like to see variety in the autoracks. If we stick with just Union Pacific branded autoracks, we can have variety with several types of autorack cars:
    Regular UP autorack, seen in original Sherman Hill route
    [​IMG]
    UP "We will deliver" autorack
    [​IMG]
    Southern Pacific autorack
    [​IMG]

Other Stuff
    - More triple-headers and quadruple-headers would be nice.
    - Yards at Laramie and Cheyenne should be very well populated, with a large variety of rolling stock sitting around.
    - Layering/substitution for the GP38-2 and AC4400CW on Sherman Hill, and the SD70ACe for Potash Locals on Cane Creek
    - Leave a bit of room for a future loco add-on, such as the SD70M

Well, that's all I could think of. I just wanted to make a big thread about how I'm really excited for Sherman Hill. Because I really am. It's just a cool route! Anyways, have a good day.

• Like Like x 4
  2. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Krazy
    I agree with you with most of your points.
    First one, SD70ACE it is my favorite US heavy freight locomotive too.
    Specially on the design point of view.
    Regarding the headlights, I also prefer the cab version one!
    We already have the nose ones on the GE AC44CW, so it will be nice and better in my opinion DTG creates the cab one!

Note: I also like very much too the "improved" SD70ACE model : the T4 one, made by Progress Rail.
    This locomotive of course hopes to be available in the future too.
    Despite it not has been sold so much, it was purchased by UP and CSX!
    The 2 freight companies DTG it has license! So more chances about it

As to special schemes, the SD70ACE it is the "Queen" of them!
    I believe it is the model which more ones by far.
    Apart from UP, also NS, and other companies have them.

But frankly speaking, I am not sure we will have any of the UP ones made by DTG.
    Just 3 or 4 different numbers.
    Most probably you will have to make them using Livery Designer.
    Hope I be wrong and at least one of them be included with the route.

Rolling stock, the route might include at least the same different types of freight cars as CSX.
    But also include some new ones.
    For example I even would like to have bigger double door boxcars, which are very common in US freights, but not yet available on TSW2

Finally hope to have interesting Scenarios, and timetable with lot of trains, and different driving situations.

Let's see what we finally get.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

It would really nice, as long as it is properly tested and bug free ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Are you new here? You will get one version of the SD70ACe, one livery (probably inaccurate), the sounds will be terrible (I won't be shocked if they reuse the sounds from the AC4400), and the route will be a bug ridden mess.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I guess I’m a bit new, but I would never be that pessimistic. I’m sure DTG knows very well that using sounds from the AC4400CW on a loco such as the SD70ACe would go very, very badly. As for having one version of the SD70ACe, that’ll probably be true. We’ve had several instances where DTG didn’t bother giving even an alternate livery (still annoys me a bit with the C40-8W). But this thread is named “My Hopes for Sherman Hill”, so I can always hope and dream.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

If DTG includes the early high headlight model of the SD70ACe (Which did not come with the isolated cabs) I wonder if they will recreate the horrible in cab noises that railroad crews reported in them. (Which earned these units the nickname "THUNDERCABS").
    20211029_195948.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I’ve got a bonfire in my yard that needs peeing on, can you come over?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

And of course CSX put a thunderbolt next to the cab!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

If and when it happens, just hope it all works with NO bugs. The track record so far is far from good

• Like Like x 1
  10. dereknolder

dereknolder Member

IMG_9494.JPG IMG_9495.JPG IMG_9493.JPG

found these leaked images of sherman hill and the intermodal company ONE is in the pictures and it has the cab headlight version the only thing I do not like so far is the fact they have a red stripe on the bottom of the loco instead of yellow

• Like Like x 1