My Thoughts On The Arosa

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bradley, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Really nice route with a lot of potential, the fan doesn't work like it did in the preview stream but its not that significant. the pantograph spark sound is a nice little detail that makes me smile, dtg could learn from that. Do I recommend the route? yes I do

• Like Like x 6
  2. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

About to finish the first scenario, which features a downhill service with 4 passenger cars and 3 empty log wagons. After many restarts due to user error causing me to lose control, run a red light or derail. I can honestly say I am really enjoying the unique challenges this route brings with it such as the steep grades and characteristics of the route itself. The locomotive and the sounds (especially that pantograph spark) are outstanding. I think a lot of people will find Arosa to be a great addition to the TSW2 catalog! Very happy with it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of complaints about bugs and quality of scenery, particularly in the PC Forum.

However, despite my rantings last night about releasing software that’s known to have bugs (emphasis on “known”), there is enough in this route for me to buy it.

There was an interesting stream from Megasim in the early hours of this morning and he mentioned the scenery issue. He made a good point that there is only so much processing power available and, whereas DTG concentrate more on the scenery (which is why Clinchfield looks so much better), Rivet have concentrated more on the quality of the train, close scenery and catenary which, I agree is far more important to a simulator, Others of course may disagree and I totally respect that.

• Like Like x 6
  4. appledates#4945

Great post that makes some great points. I don’t believe this route has released yet for PC, and I believe there will be a lot of people who will enjoy this route when it does. I really think a lot of the community that decide not to experience Arosa based solely on the quality of the scenery are missing out on something special. Some of the issues that have always been apparent in TSW2 like the loading of assets, and pop-in just can’t be hidden as well, because it is a mountain route with long distance scenery. Rivet have done a fantastic job all around. I’m very glad you decided to give it a chance and I hope you are enjoying it just as much as others and myself seem to be!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying it so far. It's a much different experience than anything else in TSW to this point. Probably won't be one of my everyday routes, but nice for a change of pace.

Now, bring on Clinchfield- i need my freight fix!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. appledates#4945

Really makes me happy to see others are enjoying this route as well! As for Clinchfield, it’s been over a year since our last North American freight route, even longer since a USA freight route. I can’t wait either!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree I think rivet have done a god job at this route, its not suffered the same curse as the IOW. the scenery doesnt bother me but I have put a post up about it not as a complaint but as a guide. the sounds are absolutely fantastic even the little spark, also the fan does work I found the right fan button

• Like Like x 1
  8. appledates#4945

I also was able to find the right fan button! I’ve spent some time with the GE 4/4 this morning and I must say I am having a blast driving it. It’s a really fun locomotive that works perfectly on this route. How has your experience been driving?

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonharris

jonharris New Member

I honestly don’t see the scenery as a problem personally but I am only speaking for myself. I get there’s limited trees on mountains and a glitchy mountain missing but I haven’t paid much attention. In my opinion it’s a hard working and complicated route with a photorealistic locomotive and rolling stock. That being said Rivet have let themselves down with me by producing a poor tutorial and using lackadaisical sounds which are poorly finished so much so I was very upset this morning as the running sounds of the carriage stock is overpowering against the sound of the motors in the locomotive and it has spoilt the experience for me. Also; the ZS warning system is appallingly represented and there’s not even an attempt at signalled speed restrictions which again is pretty niche but a real let down as I have looked forward to this route since it was announced in the roadmap.
    I haven’t managed to drive the 4/4 II down to Chur from Arosa yet as I always derail due to over speed and I would have appreciated some sort of introduction in the tutorial to help but having driven northbound with a cab ride video streaming alongside the attention to detail for the placement of the tunnels and line side equipment and structures is second to none I sincerely applaud the team, they just need to fix the bugs and round out the halfway complete functions to get full marks in my eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I bought it just because I'm curious about it not being dtg. Sounds like people are having fun, who knows it may be really enjoyable!

• Like Like x 2
  11. neilwatson2007

neilwatson2007 Member

Took a while for me to understand the handling of the train coming downhill, braking needs a lot of concentration for sure but it is a very good route.

Ran a red twice on my driver training but overall its a very interesting and unique line much like the Isle of Wight line.

• Like Like x 4
  12. appledates#4945

I have been very happy to hear a lot of this community ran the red light at the beginning of the tutorial lol. As I certainly fell victim as well. Downhill definitely requires lots of attention. “Want to check your phone for texts, it will only take one second.” You look back and all of a sudden your going 70kmh at a 6% grade down the side of a mountain. Very fun to drive!

13. vogelm10

My driving was impeccable! Pretty fun line!

Next train arriving...sbb cargo class 66 hehehe....

• Like Like x 2
  14. vogelm10

0e621d16-3d61-4846-a355-7d8979101e52.png 8d4b3017-7966-4dc4-a78b-c70eb0a50e1e.png

• Like Like x 4
  15. appledates#4945

16. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

As a massive RhB fan I gave it a go as well and wanted to share some thoughts.

During my first runs I stumbled upon some quite disturbing issues which I want to explain further - not the distant scenery which I was fully aware of before my purchase but the following issues are probably more annoying, at least for me:

- Derailments. I also couldn't get a single run from Arosa to Chur as my train always derailed at the first passing place. I wasn't speeding but on the limit of 30 kph. I will give it a try at 25 kph later sometime but come on... how was that not noticed during beta testing?

- Sound loops going from Chur to Arosa. After some time some of the locos sounds gets stuck in a loop and is constantly hammering at about 400 bpm. Unfortunately the camera change trick doesn't work here for some reason. I really enjoy Fleshgod Apocalypse who once wrote an album with a drum speed of over 200 bpm but this is too much...

- timetable. Not the service selection, enough words were spent on this, but the timekeeping is at least in the run I'm trying now (R1421 Chur - Arosa) completely impossible without massive overspeeding. Maybe the departure times were calculated automatically and the distance measurement problem of TSW played a role here?

I really hope this gets looked at in Aprils patch because there are just too many other positive things about the route.
    Chur is modeled lovely, when I was a child I took a shot of a Ge 4/4 II at exactly the same spot as the collectible in Chur Altstadt is now :) it brings back wonderful memories. The 3D models of the engines and wagons are outstanding and lovely and during the ride the distant scenery isn't too much of a letdown either. In fact I find it nearly better looking than the one in NTP or MSB.
    And I also find the Ge 4/4 II absolutely cool to drive.

I really hope this can be solved. Come on Rivet, you can do this!

• Like Like x 2
  17. doomedcookie

doomedcookie Active Member

Great route but it's not working properly.
    Timber Log Delivery seems to a problem when all the brakes lock on and you can't move.
    The brakes on the downhill doesn't seem to work properly.
    The acceleration seems to be a bit jerky.
    The views are great though.
    Even if can see the out of window instead of the HUD all the time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

The sound looping bug seems to affect all routes at times (at least on Xbox). One of the worst and longest-running bugs in the game IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

You're so right with this. I think it's not the routes but some trains which are affected by this. I remember Maik Goltz once stating that the sound configuration on UE4 is very complex and there were some changes during the 4.23 upgrade which likely affected this. Nevertheless it's a pain.

Btw, I just got through Haspelgrube (the passing place I mentioned earlier) downwards to Chur!
    If anyone has problems ignore the 30kph limit and stick below 25. I used an outside cam and the wagons looked like if they were about to fall over when I passed the junctions! Whenever I reach some I'll try to lower my speed significantly and let you know if I've made it.

For the descent I'm using as much dinamic braking as possible (so basically nearly 100% all the time) and apply the vacuum brakes only from time to time. This works quite well so far.

20. appledates#4945

On Xbox the sound looping is an issue that has been on all routes sadly. It happens at random times and can happen a lot and is also very annoying!

• Like Like x 1
  21. vogelm10

Derailed at 5km/h going over points.

22. appledates#4945

I found going at 50% dynamic and using the vacuum brake to slow down. After derailing multiple times down hill going about 15kmh I was able to get past that point. Hope that helps in someway. Also save right before you get to the points in case you do derail!

23. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I have to admit this route wasn't on my radar as I felt it was too short and not worth the full price.

But after watching Matt and Jasper yesterday I really felt Matt's excitement and it made me want to try it out. SO i bought it.

Boy am I glad I did it is such a fun route to drive the only glaring issue is the mountain in Chur that seems to be missing pieces of it. But I know they will get that fixed so no worries. I think worth the money too.

This will definitely tie me over until Hamburg to Lubeck comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  24. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that Rivet's coach physics model a) makes them too light and bouncy (or the suspension nonfunctional), and/or b) exaggerates coupler slack and bumper rebound, with the result that the coaches behave like the cars in Mario Kart and will derail for next to nothing.

25. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Either that or it's the new track system and the gradients as it's only affecting the downhill services... I liked your Mario Kart comparison- I was thinking of Crash Car Derbys before...

26. roggek

roggek Active Member

The solution to bumpy coaches is to have the vaccum brake applied to minimum and no throttle around the area in Untersax.

Just a reminder: The indicated speed limit is a recommendation, not a target...

27. vogelm10

So fun things I have noticed walking around.

At Chur the station is shared with a standard gauge line. The narrow gauge crosses over these tracks with a diamond!
    7dfcc2bd-1247-48c8-8a9c-b61c9d17ba09.jpeg

Station clocks have working hands and tell the proper in game time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  28. roggek

roggek Active Member

If you are at Chur Stadt, Lüen-Castiel, St. Peter-Molinis or Peist. These stations is request stops.
    At the info panel (the one with the help intercom), you find a "black button with a white lamp". Press it, it lit up and go and see the signal for request stops found at a distance to each entrance to these stations.
    Look for the white diamond sign with a black ribbon. If you pressed the button at the station, two white lights should be flashing too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  29. neilwatson2007

neilwatson2007 Member

Took me three attempts to do a full run from Chur to Arosa but was very pleased to do it.

Driving uphill certainly more relaxing than doing it the other way which takes some doing, almost do it all on the vac brake which does the job, hope a new loco add on comes out for this which is easier to drive downhill.

Did a drive before and had a slight sound issue on it too but hopefully this has been mentioned by a few others too