PlayStation My Thoughts On Tsw 2 Going Forward

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by byeo, Jun 15, 2020.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Long post alert.

I’ve not posted a whole lot since the Live Stream Q&A last Thursday. Not because I was disappointed, mainly because we’ve seen thread after thread of the same topics, moans and complaints.

That’s not a bad thing, people have a right to be unhappy about a product they feel strongly about but these are my thoughts and I’m going to be as balanced as I can.

Pre-live stream I was really looking forward to what DTG had in store for us. I posted a few questions on the forums for Sam to pick up and he answered one of them. I loved the open, honest and no-nonsense approach by the Colonel and at times I thought Matt was uncomfortable been so honest and upfront. As Sam said, that’s not being the DTG way in the past.

As the stream went on there were things I wasn’t happy with such as dlc’s from TSW2020 not been upgraded to make use of the new TSW 2 features as well as the fact we can’t use them in the Scenario Editor. Little things such as working level crossings on Sand Patch Grade not working isn’t a deal breaker for me, it doesn’t affect the game, it would be nice but if it’s between having them working with reduced performance or no Sand Patch Grade then it’ll take non-working level crossings…

One thing I did want and expect was an updated 2D map, hopefully this will come at a later date.

The more I thought about TSW dlc’s being ported to TSW 2 but not getting the full TSW 2 “treatment” isn’t a bigger issue as I thought it would be. It would be nice to have everything we wanted but ultimately it comes down to time, money and resources. How many new games support old dlc from the previous title? Polyphony Digital/Gran Turismo has done exactly what DTG has done in the past, some cars in Gran Turismo have being ported from earlier games but without internal camera views, some cars are modelled brilliantly, and others are average at best. The fact we can still use our old dlc’s in TSW 2 is a good thing, we could quite easily have lost them forever and to be stuck in TSW 2020…

As a console player, we’re getting three new routes for the price of one dlc plus the new features TSW 2 brings with it. £24.99 is a bargain price for what we’ll be getting imo. Sand Patch looks great at 57 miles (including branch lines), the Bakerloo Line is just over 14 miles but with 25 stops, (the fact it’s London Underground sells it automatically for me). The Köln Schnellfahrstrecke is 43 miles long but from what I understand it’s point to point, no stops in between Koln & Aachen. This is not an issue for me, I’ve wanted to drive an ICE for a long time, plus, with the new Scenario Editor I’m hoping we can add some interesting scenarios to the mix. One last thing on the Scenario Editor, I am unhappy we’re unable to create and share our scenarios, maybe down the line this is something DTG can change.

One thing I am really looking forward to is the TSW 2 Road Map which is going to be revealed one week before release of TSW 2. For the first time ever we’ll be able to see what routes and dlc locos DTG are working on, I have no doubt this will boost sales of TSW 2 and the fact we know what’s coming will add to the hype. RIP the Baseless Speculation thread.

I voted on another thread about whether I’ll be buying TSW 2 at launch, I voted yes, has that changed? No, I’ll be getting TSW 2 on day one. I don’t have an issue with people not supporting DTG anymore, it’s their money and choice but I do feel they might be cutting their nose off to spite their face.

I’ve not covered everything I wanted to say but I can’t think of anything else right now. I do apologise for the length of the post and I will be repeating what others have said before me. I just wanted to try and give a balanced view on what I think TSW will be like and how I feel about TSW2020 dlc’s.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

For console players (and actually any other players) that:

- like TSW, like freight, and have not seen CSX: HH on PC;
    - accept that trapping the 33 and 52 on WSR in TSW is normal, and that DLC routes/locos are self-contained;
    - do not expect to build an interoperable collection of rolling stock (like in TS1);
    - had no expectation at all for a full-blown route editor (like in TS1);
    - have the cash to spare; and,
    - will likely spend a fair amount of time on the first TSW2 pack.....

... then yes - TSW2 with CSX:HH, ICE and Bakerloo Line.... with a probably quite good fun livery editor and a minimal quick drive feature..... is actually likely to be reasonably good value at £25...., as a one-off purchase... in the world of train simulators...

The problem comes when you ask the question, going forward....... will you spend £300 in the next 12 months on more DLC for TSW 2 ....?

GT Sport could be bought for £12 a while ago.... and for £12 you got a five year rolling programme of new completely free features, tracks and cars, plus properly maintained high uptime worldwide multiplayer servers... I think that I have spent about £100 in total for Gran Turismo.... and that is over twenty years of development. So - about £5 per year..... There is no comparison (and not just based on cost).

If you think that you will get good value out of TSW2... then frankly... you should buy it. Based on what I know/understand.... I would recommend TSW2 to any console player of TSW that has bought more than one DLC under TSW, and enjoyed it..

3. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

The more I think about it the less I see the point of the preserved collection.

If it is not going to take any benefits from TSW 2 then why not just run TSW2020? The same as you would run TS1 if you want to drive something from there.

• Like Like x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That was my view on it. Just keep on using it in TSW2020. However, if it is seen after release that the preserved collection runs better in TSW2, with better frame rate and fewer stutters, then there is one reason to download the preserved collection. If you get the new sky and it improves the look of the old routes a little because of it, then there is another reason. One thing that I am looking forward to is starting afresh on NTP, a route where I’ve pretty much done everything, and having a clean slate to do everything again (of course I could just make a new driver in TSW for that), as I will be using it as my test route if it is one of the routes preserved on release, to see if it’s worth downloading the others into TSW2.

• Like Like x 3