Nantenbach / Gemünden - Würzburg - The Second Wind For Msb

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Monder, Apr 15, 2021.

?
  1. I don't have MSB, but I would buy both

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. I wouldn't buy MSB nor the extension

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. I already own MSB and I would buy the extension

123 vote(s)
    92.5%
  4. I already own MSB, but I wouldn't be interested in the extension

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Route extensions are a very controversial topic on forums and streams. That being said it is definitely a concept worth exploring, especially now that multiple timetables can be made and an extension, therefore, doesn't have to break the original.

Route(s)
    [​IMG]
    (BR 112 in Retzbach-Zellingen in 2006)
    [​IMG]
    (MRCE 182 with a container train in Gambach)
    [​IMG]
    (Two 151s and a 185 hauling a heavy freight train between Karlstadt and Himmelstadt)

This proposal consists of two parts vastly improving the original MSB - the 38 km long picturesque section missing from the original MSB from Gemünden to Würzburg with 7 new stops and the 11 km connecting track from Nantenbach joining the Schnellfahrstrecke from Hannover for its last 25 km to Würzburg. Combined this adds 74 km of track to the MSB - an addition well within TSW limits. The original track from Gemünden is mostly 160 km/h, while the high-speed section is an LZB equipped stretch with 200-280 km/h speeds.
    upload_2021-4-15_10-42-8.png
    [​IMG]
    (ICE1 on a viaduct near Leinach)
    [​IMG]
    (connection to Nantenbach diverging from the Schnellfahrstrecke to Hannover)
    Services
    The original track would basically serve as an extension for existing freight and RE services as well as add RB53 services between Würzburg and Gemünden (which continue further north from there). The high-speed section enables the addition of ICEs, ICs to MSB - a thing highly requested by many in the community. These usually run between Frankfurt and München calling at both ends of this extended MSB.
    With this extension the route would provide gameplay of a variety of lengths - RB53 services being about 30 minutes, ICE/IC services 40-50, RE services 70-80 and freight trains based on traffic could reach up to two hours in total.
    The extension could also offer a selection of new shorter freight train services (about 40-50 minutes) between Würzburg and Gemünden that then continue further north to Fulda diverging from the MSB (probably in the range of about 30-50 new freight services in timetable).
    Rolling stock
    While most of the rolling stock for this route is already in the game, some additions could be made with this extension.
    -Br 440
    [​IMG]

This unit is mainly used for the RB53 mentioned above and would be an ideal new regional train to come with this route.
    -ICE1
    [​IMG]

Does this need an introduction? The most iconic of the ICE family has seen a bunch of services on MSB back in the era the route is set in (prior to the new tunnel). A 280 km/h 2 locos 12 cars beauty with one-of-a-kind hisg-speed dome restaurant car.
    Use of existing rolling stock
    upload_2021-4-15_11-5-17.png

(ICE3 in Heigenbrücken in 2015)
    Especially the high-speed section also gives a lot of use to the existing trains, especially ICE3s and ICs with the 101. About 40 passenger services pass this connector every day. All the RE and freight rolling stock would still benefit from this. To be era-appropriate the ICE3 would need to be painted in the original red stripe livery without the "Deutschlands Schnellste Klimaschützer" design.
    Two lives of high-speed
    A big new factor of this DLC would be a huge distinction between day and night running. While the connector is used solely by passenger services during the day and freight trains run the old track through Gemünden, things change drastically during the night when Schnellfahrstrecke empties itself. With no high-speed traffic using it freight moves there with 60-70 trains using the connector every night. Such a timetable creates an authentic and interesting experience with a vast difference between what happens during the day and during the night. One DLC - two experiences. This would also offer the first possibility of LZB use on freight trains.
    [​IMG]
    (Würzburg Hauptbahnhof)

The potential of this DLC
    As mentioned, extensions are a big topic - not the easiest to implement, but longer routes are a wanted feature and making the original content longer can be an easy way to go. This might have just gotten a lot easier, as they clash with the original timetable can be nullified by creating a second one - an option first introduced recently.
    MSB is probably one of the most popular German DLCs and (after the sounds are fixed again) probably one of the best. It offers a large variety of services ranging from dock shunting to heavy freight banking. With the introduction of ICEs and soon ICs the route could heavily benefit from an increase in variety, yet it lacks the other station to facilitate these trains - Würzburg. Adding both ways to get there makes for a complete timetable with these new trains and the two different ways for freight to move through the area. Having a new timetable can make use of a huge number of the DLCs released after the release of MSB - especially both the MRCE locomotives to break the "red colours everywhere". BR 363 could be used in Würzburg to form RE sets, Br 425s could run some of the REs on the new timetable as they do appear on the route from time to time.
    [​IMG]
    (ICE 1 on the Nantenbach connector)
    Although ICE and IC services would only be able to stop at the ends of the route, this extended route would offer a lot more for them in terms of driving itself. Compared to rather flat routes like SKA and HMA this combined route has a small stretch of the proper high-speed run, faster than both routes mentioned above (although the 280 km/h section is not very long) and then you take these trains to a classic route with a huge amount of curves, climbs and decent, something we don't get with these trains so far. On the other hand, you can take freight during the night through the high-speed section and run it to its limits.
    The regional route from Gemünden offers a bit more familiar way of playing - this section copies the flow of the river Main while keeping a maximum speed of 160 km/h for most of its length. The RE services would become slightly over an hour long and the new RB services would provide shorter 30-minute gameplay.

EDIT: Added a mention of freight services between (Fulda-)Gemünden and Würzburg.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 53
  2. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

This would be a truly great extension. If it comes with the 440 this could layer onto HMA, replacing the current 425 services. I'd also really like to see heavy freight locos like the 151. All in all, if DTG ever starts doing route extensions, this would be at the top of my list.

It could also add in ICE/IC services to the existing timetable, which would also be great :).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  3. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

DTG currently does not know when it plans to expand the route. At least so far, there has not been any announcement regarding the expansion of the route. Maybe next year? next year? Next decade? The simulation world must wait.
    TS has experienced many route expansions, especially the expansion from London to Godzilla.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think we all know they're not planning anything in that field YET, they've made it clear times and times. But they've specifically mentioned it being because of the timetable connecting being super difficult. Now that they themselves have made a tool to deal with this, it is reasonable to put extensions back on the table. And here it's not just about making the services longer (which not everyone might like, that's for sure), it enables adding different ones to both the new part and the route as a whole. You get new freight runs, RB, IC and ICE services. I agree adding another 60 miles to SPG would probably be a serious miss, but not every situation is like that.

These were the main points from DTG as to why not make it. One solved by themselves and with a good pick, the other one is not there at all.

• Like Like x 4
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and I'm going to be interested on this route if you are wondering the HMA DB BR403 did appear on Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Löhr and the HRR DB BR101 proof is this video by Alexander Emmerth in German Language at Aschaffenburg Hbf

If you want to operate freight trains on the high-speed line you have to do them at night since there's no passenger trains operating there best choice is DB BR155 since it should have LZB or DB BR182. HRR DB 425 is either RB58 Laufach to Rüsselsheim or the RB55 Frankfurt Hbf to Bamberg via Gemünden & Würzburg. Because what Dovetail games like to do is layer existing DLC trains onto the newer DLCs and an example of this is Main Spessart Bahn giving freight and Double Decker Coaches to SKA HRR & HMA

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I need no proof :D I've made these near Laufach last year. Granted there's already the new tunnel, but I safely assume these trains were there even prior to the 2017 opening. (sorry for the quality, forums didn't allow the videos to be uploaded, so it's taken from them)
    upload_2021-4-16_11-6-19.png
    Oh, look... a cab car :D
    upload_2021-4-16_11-11-1.png
    upload_2021-4-16_11-8-28.png
    upload_2021-4-16_11-9-32.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

DLC MSB is my favorite. I would definitely like any extension of the route. It is a very interesting proposal.

8. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

I realy like to see this route extension, hopefully with the ICE 2 (Br 402).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am not sure ICE2s would ever be on the ramp, they probably ride the high-speed route towards Fulda, but they were mostly used on flat routes, not over 2 % gradients.

10. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Hopefully DTG doesn't be so sceptic for route extensions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

Yes that can be good. I only know the ICE 2 earlier, I don't know whether today I still drive / have driven in double traction between Fulda and Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe.

12. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

With SKW launched now, this route extensions seems even more feasible; a combination of both routes into one would be the Walhalla for me, and it looks like this is technically possible too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

The combination of SKW and MSB would create a unique railway line. Possibilities to operate both high-speed and heavy freight rail transport. I would definitely buy such an accessory.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jolojonasgames

I do see an issue with combining MSB and KWG though, as they're set in quite different era's. At the time KWG is set (modern day) most of the entire MSB route has been broken up and replaced by a tunnel with less gradient.

15. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Have there been any significant changes to how KWG looks compared to 2015?

16. jolojonasgames

I am not to knowlegable on that. There might have been some changes, and the green-stripe ICE's aswell as the 11-car ICE 1 formations didn't operate yet, but it might be doable together with some light changes (like to the original SEHS when it got extended, light scenery stuff).

I do agree that it has great potential though, certainly if the classic line from Gemünden to Würzburg is also added (and maybe even used by the odd diverted ICE service), and we perhaps also see a new loco (as a seperate DLC perhaps) like the BR 111.

• Like Like x 1
  17. driverwoods#1787

You should be correct on that and for DB BR111 these need RMV Bayern Decals on the side. Motorail Nightjet theres two in 2017 Dusseldorf Innsbruck uses the Lohr Connector line and Hans Albers Hamburg Altona Innsbruck Lohr Connector line and Fulda Kassel section. These have the Taurus locomotive

18. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Well ,actually only the part between Laufach and Haigenbrücken has been put into a tunnel. Thats approx 7km. The rest of the route remains largely the same.

And as I have been discussing with driverwoods#1787 on another thread, it would be the perfect route to introduce the ICE-T, as you would drive it max speed between Würzburg and Nantenbach, as well as GNT between Nantenbach and Aschaffenburg.

With the old route between Gemünden and Aschaffenburg you would have a perfect route combination of 186 km true highspeed (Kassel Würzburg), 86 km of regional (Würzburg Aschaffenburg) lots of cargo (everywhere, at night even on the Nantenbacher curve), lots of LZB, GNT, etc...

Trying to put this into perspective regarding the usual development cycle for a typical DTG route, I would assume it would by viable. You would have to rebuild maybe 20% of MSB, add 37km from Gemünden to Würzburg (some of it is already build in SKW, maybe 10km?) and add the usual new train. However, you would have to build one complete new timetable and probably have to incorporate it into the SKW timetable. Not sure how this will work, as the "new" MSB would probably only make sense for DTG if it also works as a stand alone route...

Anyway, I would love it!

• Like Like x 4
  19. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Either an extension to the original or as a new updated MSB (with the new tunnel) would be day 1 purchase for me.

Theres a lot of route extensions which get thrown about and I think why, but this one makes complete sense to me.

• Like Like x 3
  20. driverwoods#1787

Thanks for giving me the shout out and by the way Main Spessart Bahn Asschaffenburg Laufach Heigenbrücken Lohr where the Nantenbach Connector starts Gets heavy usage from high speed trains freight and sleeper trains during the evening. That way we can actually play the 02:40 Würzburg to 03:20 Asschaffenburg trip which is the one going to Aachen Hbf and Duisburg Hbf by splitting at Köln Hbf 02:50 Würzburg this one is a Motorail train. The way that works is you actually use the Austrian federal railways nightjet website by using Nürnberg Hbf then Setting the destination as Amsterdam Utrecht Arnhem last stop in Germany is Duisburg Hbf HRR and Brussels Midi for the Schnellfahrstrecke Köln Aachen Sleeper. Basically those use the ICE-T tracks Würzburg to Asschaffenburg via Lohr Heigenbrücken Laufach and Nantenbach In both directions during the evening.

21. redrev1917

Are you sure the north bound service runs that way, I know the map on Nightjet website shows that route in both directions, however the couple of times Ive taken the Vienna Brussels sleeper weve cut south west from Nuremberg via Stuttgart and Mannheim and then into Mainz, I mean it could have been due to engineering works although it would be a strange co-incidence that there was works blocking the line on 2 occassions about 18 months apart.

Agree that the southbound services do go via your route.

22. driverwoods#1787

On the website northbound is actually operated Nürnberg Würzburg Nantenbach Lohr Heigenbrücken Laufach Asschaffenburg Hanau Frankfurt am Main Süd Frankfurt Flughafen Mainz Koblenz Köln Hbf then Aachen Hbf and Duisburg Hbf for Amsterdam. in the case of the Motorail Hamburg Altona Innsbruck Hans Albers it runs the same way as the Köln Hbf service but Splits off at Hanau to rejoin the Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg at Fulda Which is represented in game. You can check my album Nightjet Main Spessart Bahn for the Northbound service. Because the map displays normal operation with the Würzburg Hbf stop then Frankfurt am Main Süd Frankfurt Flughafen for Amsterdam and Brussels via Aachen. Würzburg Hbf then Hanau for Hamburg Altona via Fulda. You won't those stops if diverted to run Mannheim Stuttgart Mainz

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  23. redrev1917

Yes I've done Hamburg to Innsbruck so knew that went that way. Sadly no motorail wagons due to COVID and low demand.

24. driverwoods#1787

Is that the one in game where you can only run it up to 85 mph 140 kmh due to no Ddm 915. Looking at the formation formed of 13 carriages the last ones are Ddm 915s in game Laaers 560s since Innsbruck Hamburg is operated Daily Northbound also Hamburg Innsbruck Southbound. With Variable Weather can this formation Handle to Climb to Heigenbrücken from Nantenbach via Lohr or not using the DB BR101 if Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg is merged with Main Spessart Bahn.

25. redrev1917

I meant in real life. But yeah that's the one, splits in Nuremberg IIRC correctly with a portion to Vienna.

Also done Berlin Budapest, Vienna - Paris, Zurich Prague, Munich - Venice, Syracuse to Rome. Although my favourite European sleeper has to be the Milan to Syracuse. Waking in the bay of Naples then taking the train ferry across to Sciliy from the comfort of a 1st class compartment.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

With relatively little map work, we could get a nearly complete experience with all aspects of German railroading. Perhaps only missing some regional diesel action.

• Like Like x 1
  27. driverwoods#1787

I agree where would that be occurring if DTG makes Main Spessart Bahn merge with SFS Hannover Wurzburg? For Regional Diesel that can be the Aschaffenburg Port Area or Gemunden where the DMU runs off to Erfurt via Schweinfurt which is what the Dosto Main Spessart Bahn final destination is

28. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

I say this all the time, but it would not be complete without the 23km section from Hanau to Aschaffenburg, as that's where the MSB really starts. It would add 7 stops and would give us the complete line. Maybe if we're lucky, we could get the 23 extra km out to Frankfurt, with this western extension totaling to 46km, making the line 185km (371 with KWG), (172 with nothing else) with its branches. It would be amazing since we'd be able to have the ICE drive with more than 3 stops over a similar distance.

• Like Like x 3
  29. jolojonasgames

And then if you're really ambitions Hanau-Fulda aswell to get a triangular network between Frankfurt, Kassel and Würzburg. I don't think that's likely at all though :)

• Like Like x 2
  30. driverwoods#1787

Hanau Fulda is also known as SFS Hanau Gelnhausen that way one can drive the NJ 490/491 40420 40421 service to Kassel as seen on OBB Website. NJ490/491 is seen in-game with the IC Coaches with Laaers 560s on the back where you run it to Fulda In real life it uses Main Spessart Bahn Nantenbach Lohr Heigenbrucken Hanau then back to Fulda via SFS Hanau Gelnhausen

31. atledreier

atledreier Member

¨You guys are making me drool here!

Some proper long lines would be awesome, and the combinations of routes, locos and consists are immense.

32. -_-LivvuAurora-_-

-_-LivvuAurora-_- Well-Known Member

This would be my dream, I was always somewhat annoyed that the route finished at Gemünden and not Würzburg.