Narrow Gauge Railways Of Spain (feve)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by volvolover1972, Jul 3, 2018.

1. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of railways from all over the world and I am particularly a fan of British railways, but I essentially like all railways. The Spanish railway, I think, is one of the amazing networks in the world that has failed to make it to any train simulator game officially. I am not pleading that DTG make any specific route or loco. I am merely showing the potential of something different, in this case something from Spain. In this post I will be showing the potential of the narrow gauge railway network in northern Spain, which is currently operated by Renfe FEVE. This narrow gauge network is very unique in Spain since most of the Spanish railways are in the Iberian-gauge, which is broader than standard gauge. The FEVE network is one of the few narrow gauge networks in Spain that is not classified as a metro or tram. The network itself streches across northern Spain from the city of Bilbao in the Basque Country to the cities Ferrol in Galicia and Leon in Castile and Leon. The whole network consists of about 740 miles of track and is electrified in certain areas. In Terms of services, there are medium-long distance services and commuter services within in the 6 major cities the network goes through.

Map of whole network: https://www.vialibre-ffe.com/PDF/5990_Geografico_enmarcado_945x490.pdf

Commuter Services:
    - Ferrol to Ortigueira
    - Gijon to Cudillero
    - Gijon to Laviana
    - Oviedo to Infiesto
    - Oviedo to San Esteban de Pravia
    - Baiña to Mieres-Collanzo
    - Gijon/Oviedo to Trubia
    - Oviedo to Laviana
    - Santander to Cabezón de la Sal
    - Santander to Liérganes
    - Bilbao to Balmaseda/La Calzada
    - Leon to Cistierna

Medium Distance Services:

- Ferrol to Ribadeo
    - Oviedo to Llanes
    - Santander to Marrón
    - Bilbao to Carranza
    - Leon to Guardo

Long Distance Services:

- Ferrol to Oviedo/Gijon
    - Oviedo/Gijon to Santander
    - Santander to Bilbao
    - Leon to Bilbao

Overall the commuter services run on the track that is electrified and use electric locos, while medium and long distance services use unelectrified track and diesel stock. However there are some exceptions especially in commuter services in Asturias. Obviously if DTG were to implement anything here it wouldn’t be the whole network but rather a commuter line or just a portion of the network. There is a variety of scenery throughout the whole network. For example, Bilbao to Santander and Bilbao to Leon runs through very mountainous areas while the Santander to Oviedo and Oviedo to Ferrol lines run along the coast.

Rolling Stock:

UTDH-2700 Series Diesel multiple unit. This unit is used on medium and long distance routed mainly.
    UTDH-2900 Series dual cabin diesel unit. This unit is used on medium and long distance routes mainly.
    UTE-3600 series electrical multiple unit. This unit is used on the electrified commuter lines.

Please note I have not posted all the rolling stock used on the FEVE network. I posted the most common rolling stock that is used on the line at the time of this post. Also note freight is transported on the network however it is not the main purpose and function of the network.

Stations:

I am not going to post all the stations on the lines as there are a lot. However major stations include Bilbao-La Concordia, Santander, Leon, Gijon, Oviedo, and Ferrol. One of the largest and oldest stations on the line is Bilbao-La Concordia.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. volvolover1972

UTDH-2700 Series Diesel multiple unit. This unit is used on medium and long distance routed mainly.
    8A40D7BA-C593-4E65-96E0-4F76FD47838E.jpeg

3. volvolover1972

404C88CF-595A-4453-8665-8CDA59D8AC4D.jpeg UTDH-2900 Series dual cabin diesel unit. This unit is used on medium and long distance routes mainly.

4. volvolover1972

8C2D455D-AE12-477F-B487-9F0A56F38A09.jpeg
    UTE-3600 series electrical multiple unit. This unit is used on the electrified commuter lines.