Nec Boston Asces

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimfan94, Aug 5, 2021.

1. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

No warning when you have to slow down??? it goes straight to the lower speed. i might keep it off

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I'm not very familiar with ASCES, but if it is similar to the ATC on LIRR, then you simply slow down when it changes to a lower speed, no?

• Like Like x 2
  3. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

i want warnings. no overspeed

4. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

It is a warning before the actual speed limit change. It'll look like you're overspreeding on the HUD but you're not. Watch carefully again and you'll see Matt still gets 30 AP

• Like Like x 5
  5. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

ok

6. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

As Matt stated, there is no overspeed penalty unless you actually pass the start of the new limit. It is kinda like the system in the French train, where it tells you to start slowing down and if you don't do it fast enough it will take over. Here once it warns of a speed reduction, put the brakes in suppression and it does it for you until its under the upcoming limit.

• Like Like x 5
  7. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

I'm looking at the stream now and I don't think ACSES gives you an overspeed penalty at all. I'll admit I'm not am Amtrak engineer so I'm not certain but it seems it determines that a speed restriction is upcoming, displays that speed and sounds an alert to the driver to begin braking, and then lets the driver begin slowing down. It seems effectively like when you hit a 1000hz PZB magnet and an alarm sounds as you acknowledge the magnet, in German trains that sets a fixed 85kph target but with ACSES it's variable. As far as the game goes I imagine it'll work like LZB, you can be above the LZB speed and it'll show yellow on the speedometer but it won't actually penalize you because you are below track speed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The trick is that you cannot acknowledge the alarm until you are also in suppression braking - so once you hear the alarm you must move to suppression to begin slowing, hit acknowledge, and then leave it there at no less than suppression braking until you are within speed limit. Once you're within speed limit, you can release the brakes and continue. If you attempt to release the brakes before hand you will get an overspeed penalty that will force the brakes on.

• Helpful Helpful x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It's very similar to the way TVM works on the LGV Med. With the Duplex or the Class 395 on HS1, it tells you to slow down in advance so you don't overspeed, and if you do, it'll then give you a nice old penalty.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

So it's pretty much like the ATC on LIRR. Thanks for the info, Matt!

11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

If you exceed the alert curve (braking curve with an 8 second padding offset), the speed of the upcoming restriction immediately appears on the ADU. If you brake soon enough, you shouldn't see the new speed restriction appear on the ADU until you actually reach the restriction.

The calculations for the braking curve/alert curve are currently too aggressive. I'm working this out with the team. By too aggressive, I mean ACSES is intervening far too early. In example cab ride footage of an Acela that we have to reference, it's going 106MPH at the eastern end of the South Attleboro platform. in Matt's livestream just now, he was going 60MPH at that point because he was forced to FAR too early.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Well... hopefully we will get some good user guide/manual with this route DLC. Apparently it will be necesary. Don't forget about it DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Oh boy, this’ll be a tough one for me. I’ve always been used to releasing the brakes right before reaching my intended speed to stay right at the limit. Guess I have to change my braking a bit for the ACS-64 then :)

14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That's good to hear. I'm not familiar with ACSES but it seemed way too restrictive for a real safety system. Matt had to be down to the new speed limit well more than a mile before it applies after all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

Yes, I hope this gets fixed before release, as it would really slow the route down. I wonder if the timetable is impossible to keep with safety systems enabled, would really hurt the gameplay of the route

• Like Like x 2