Nec Boston-providence Train Pack

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pacificorca#1435, Aug 5, 2021.

1. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

After watching recent preview streams I've been extremely impressed with the AI Traffic that has been created into and out of Boston South Station, that's a fantastic achievement but it did make me start thinking that the F-40s aren't quite as common on the south shore MBTA services anymore. After watching some relatively recent video from South Station it seems the HSP-46s are common enough to warrant inclusion as a random replacement in the timetable.

Combined with the timetable space to include Acela Express services I think a pack along the lines of a Diesel Legends might be a decent option.

Three things to my mind would be worth including:
    1. MBTA HSP-46
    Acquired from 2013-2014, 40 units in the MBTA fleet (just below 1/3rd of the total fleet) - MBTA doesn't seem to have any major rhyme or reason to how they deploy the HSP-46 and so a random replacement in the timetable seems reasonable. [​IMG]
    2. MBTA Bi-Level Cab Cars
    The MBTA uses both Kawasaki built and Hyudai built bi-level cars, both on which include cab car versions. Unlike a lot of commuter railroads, as best I can tell these coaches are spread randomly into various trainsets, I recognize that might be very difficult to properly model in the game but it still would be worth considering including them as they are very much a common sight.
    [​IMG]

2. Amtrak Acela
    Amtrak has run Acela trainsets since the early 2000s, they are due for replacement but as of when the route appears to be set the Acela still seems the natural addition. Hopefully the timetable has been written in such a way that there are natural gaps for Acela services already.
    [​IMG]

I can only speak for myself here but if these three were put out as a DLC for the new NEC route I would feel that the typical route price would be very fair for the group especially if some scenarios were included. I think a big selling point for this NEC route is the volume of traffic available and so further improvements to the traffic and its density would be more than welcome as a DLC.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

A pack is NOT gonna happen. At most each locomotive is going to be its own pack, with the MBTA HSP-46 with the Bi-Levels being 1 DLC, and the Amtrak Acela being in another DLC.

The Diesel Legends pack only happened because it used locomotives ALREADY Available in game....

• Like Like x 2
  3. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I guess this is why they said "modernish" for the time frame rather than commit to particular year or year range. It gives some flexibility for DLC suggestions like this one. Good thinking.

4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

A pack like this would be a great idea, but of course they're gonna charge the price of a route for a new loco, coaches, and a train set.

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good idea but a better options are HSP-46 Acela Express Avelia Liberty because if the line is set in 2021 you're likely to see HSP-46 and Acela Express do regular service. Avelia Liberty does test runs and is the TSW 2 version of Class 801 from TS21 East Coast Mainline South Peterborough London King's cross

6. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Locomotive DLC

7. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

DTG could experiment with this idea by creating a loco pack whilst still selling all content separate for those who don’t want to pay more than they usually do or are put off cause they don’t want more than just one item in the pack like the season ticket routes

8. AtherianKing

The route is set “modern ish” but before 2021 as no ruggels extra platform or updated Amfleet interiors but it could always be possible for separate timetables for those who don’t mind scenery being in the wrong time zone like Rapid Transit

• Like Like x 2
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about the setting. So if NEC 2021 gets Rapid Transit Treatment by Adam and his team via a separate timetable. You get Ruggles Extra Platform Avelia Liberty HSP-46 and the Updated Amfleet US railfan term Amcans interiors. Line speed is now 260 km/h 160 mph for Avelia Liberty instead of 240 km/h (150 mph) Acela Express. For Scenario Planner, the Taurus can be used to max out its speed which is 145 mph (230 km/h) on NEC Boston Providence

10. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the scenery, it didn't take very long for the modding community to revert GWE to the 1970s when Diesel Legends pack came out. Nearly everything modern vanishes when you load the mod. Amazing what these skilled people can do!

• Like Like x 1
  11. AtherianKing

if preserved team were to work on the route they do not change how the route is in big ways like extra platforms but they can create extra timetables to allow for a more realistic setting (rolling stock wise) should new trains be released that are of a different time period

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

Both are good suggestions. Although these most likely would end up being individual add-ons as opposed to being in a pack since it requires a lot of resources to build a train from scratch.

The Acela, either the 1st generation, or the 2nd generation Avelia Liberty would be good fun getting to drive at top speed. I hope these can make it on to the route one day, either as a layer from another route, or as their own add-on for this route.

The HSP-46s I've always found odd looking, but they are extremely common on South Station services, and a lot of people are asking for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if these make it in as an add-on.

The Multi-Level coaches are also very common on this line, so I was surprised to see the single-level ones on the announcement. I hope these get added one day. I also hope they randomly get added into consists. During peak rush hour you'll usually see a solid consist of the Multi-Levels, but during the off-peak hours MBTA tends to mix single-level and multi-levels together in one train.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

I'm also curious if there's any interest in the following as add-ons for the route.

The MBTA GP40MC. These are freight locomotives converted to commuter service.. More common on North Station services, but do occasionally work on South Station services. Also note the mixture of single and multi-level cars.
    gp40.jpg

I've also seen a fair amount of interest in freight services on the route, so I figured I would also leave some suggestions for a freight pack or add-ons here. Although it should be noted that freight isn't the most common thing on the line.

GP40-2 or GP38-2 pack. This would include CSX and P&W liveries, and also the subtle differences used on this line, including cab signals and higher plows for usage on third rail lines
    csx.jpg
    pw.jpg

Also some good ideas for MOW trains, or equipment rolling stock moves, or just switching in the many passenger yards. Either the Amtrak MP15DC or the MBTA 3GS21B "Genset"
    genset.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg

These could add in more variety to the route than just passenger and commuter services.

• Helpful Helpful x 1