PC Nec New York Csx Freight Operations Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kentolsson73, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Kentolsson73

Kentolsson73 New Member

First post, weeee!!!

I've noticed there are no signals/signs at all on any tracks between or in the freight yards.
    Is this the case also in IRL or has DTG just choose not to implement them?

2. MasterofTrains

MasterofTrains Member

Most train yards in the US at least don't have the large signal bridges in the yards. Yards usually have small ground signal with one light to show if a track in the yard is clear or not. I have never been to Cumberland yard so I don't know if these small yard signals are used there. I hope this helps you.

3. Kentolsson73

Kentolsson73 New Member

I see I wasnt clear enough
    CSX HH sure is well equiped with signals and signs all over both mainline and yards.
    Was refering to NEC New York. My bad. No signs/signals all either in the different yards or the lines between them.
    TNX for your response thou

4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That is true. There probably are speed signs IRL, but no signaling until closer to Pelham Bay.

5. chrisvazquez7

chrisvazquez7 Active Member

I can comment on operations in Canada, but I imagine things are very similar in the States. Other than busy mainlines, most track is not signalled. Yards and spurs (similar to what is in NEC) are Rule 105, meaning all trains have to stop within half their range of vision. It's pretty much a free-for-all. Secondary mainlines or branchlines that are not very busy will have OCS, where you must contact the RTC (rail traffic controller) for a clearance to be able to enter the mainline. So even on well-built lines with speed limits of 40mph+, you might not have any signals.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kentolsson73

Kentolsson73 New Member

Tnx for your answers.