Need Some Signal Help - Does This Mean Stop At Signal, Or Next Signal = Stop?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Vograx, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

The light is refusing to change and I'm sitting outside Penzance, but I'm wondering if I am reading this wrong?

The top light is turned off, and the bottom one shows red.

So does this mean I have to stop at this signal, or does it mean the NEXT signal (at the station, as it is an end station) is the actual stop signal?

upload_2021-11-5_23-34-52.png

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

That signal (and any signal showing just red) says "stop here". No signal will have more than two lights lit up at once, unless it's a double yellow (meaning the signal after the next one is red, so slow down) or on the London Underground. Have you pressed TAB and contacted the dispatcher?

If it was saying stop at the next signal it'd be showing green (as it's a 2 aspect signal), with the signal before displaying yellow. If it were a 3 or 4 aspect signal, it'd be showing one yellow light.

If you had permission to pass this red signal, there'd be two diagonal white lines next to (or underneath) it. The display in the top left of the image tells you which route you'll be taking.

Have a look at these to familiarise yourself with UK signalling (if you feel you need it) -
    My Steam guide has an explainer on UK signalling, specific to Cathcart Circle Line but applies to all routes (some just have a different way of showing it): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2516020598

A British Rail training video from 1989 (it goes into much more detail than you need as a driver, which leads me to think this was shown to train signallers or engineers, but it does explain the principals of UK signalling well):

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

Thanks.
    I tried signaller and he says no.
    I looked at map and there is an 08 shuntytrain on the track at hte platform and he won't move -_- So I guess I am stuck in a catch 22 here.

4. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

That's always my resort, contact the signaller. Unless 'he' says 'continue at restricted speed', then you wait.
    ...OR, you've to go in reverse ;)

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If it was a distant signal the board underneath would generally have an up arrow above the board number, "banner repeaters" often have BR below the number as well

upload_2021-11-6_9-39-1.png