New Haven Railroad Springfield Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mevans193, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

Hello all, and welcome to a busy passenger and freight corridor in Central Connecticut set between the mid 1950s and early 1960s. A time when rock n roll and cars with tailfins were popular and streamlined trains ruled the rails.
    map.jpg
    I'm suggesting this route be set during this time for a number of reasons:
    1. Between those years the New Haven railroad was the sole operator for both passenger and freight on the line, today 4 different railroads handle passenger and freight at various points along the line, meaning only one license would be needed if set during that time period.
    2. The New Haven had a very diverse roster with loads of unique locomotives to choose from, creating some diversity in American motive power choices.
    3. There was more traffic on this line during that time period.
    4. This route had been done previously for Train Simulator set during that time period, so much of the research has already been done.

For those unfamiliar with the route, this 62 mile line was 2nd busiest route for the New Haven next to the Shoreline route and for much of its history has served as an important commuter route for those traveling from Southern Massachusetts and Central Connecticut to the shoreline or to New York.
    The Journey would begin just southwest of New Haven Union Station at the large coach yard for the New Haven Railroad where Springfield Line commuter trains would be stored or repaired between services. Depot moves would bring the trains into and out of the station. New Haven Union Station is a large four platform station serving 8 tracks with passing tracks for freight trains in-between. This station serves an important role as a transfer point for commuters changing between Shoreline and Springfield Line trains, but also a locomotive change point. At the time the shoreline route east of here was non electrified, so diesel locomotives would need to replace electrics here. Heading east out of Union Station, we reach Airline Junction, here we head north onto the Springfield Line. At this junction is the location of Cedar Hill Classification Yard. The largest freight yard on the New Haven Railroad, and location of their main locomotive maintenance buildings.
    NH YARD.jpg

Between New Haven and Hartford are many suburban towns and commuter stations. At Hartford rail lines from all across Connecticut join up as trains negotiate several junctions around the station and freight yard. We are treated of views of the Connecticut Capital Building, as well as getting to see Hartford station in it's full glory before being reduced in size.
    Hartford Station 2.jpg
    Hartford Freight 1.jpg

North of Hartford is where the scenic highlights of this line are. First in Windsor there is the stop at the 1870 built train station, and then we ride over the 1867 built stone arch bridge over the Farmington River. Next we head through Windsor Locks, past the mills and canals, and onto the Connecticut River Bridge, a very popular railfanning location.
    Conn River.jpg

North of here we will turn onto the New York Central in Springfield and end our journey at Springfield Station. A unique situation is here, as the wye for turning trains around is split down the middle by the New York Central's mainline. Empty trains trying to turn around may have to wait for a passing mainline train to clear.

Motive Power:
    For starter motive power I am suggesting the Fairbanks-Morse CPA-24-5 "C-Liner" for passenger services and the EMD GP9 for freight services. Both locomotives could also substitute for each other as the New Haven had a tendency to use whatever locomotive was available regardless of if it was a freight or passenger locomotive.

Rolling Stock:
    Osgood Bradley 10 Window passenger coach.
    For Freight, a 40ft boxcar is a must, and for secondary cars, tankcar, gondola or flatcar would all be good choices to add some diversity.

Potential DLC:
    Perhaps the most well known locomotive on the New Haven and perhaps most well preserved streamlined diesel today is of course the EMD FL9. These were popular on the line as the third rail capabilities of the locomotive meant there was no need for a electric locomotive switch for trains going to Grand Central station. To compliment the FL9 would be the 8600 Stainless Steel Coach in the pack.

Some other good candidates for future content would be the ALCO RS11, ALCO RS3, ALCO DL-109, or EMD SW1200.

Thank you everyone for stopping by and considering this route!

• Like Like x 9
  2. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I like this a lot do you think for a DLC the ALCO PA/FAs could make do? Ive been wanted those in TSW for a while

• Like Like x 1
  3. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Yes, finally someone other than me wants a classic American passenger route. I would bye this as soon as it becomes available.

• Like Like x 2
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This is actually a Classic Train simulator 21 route that must be in TSW2. Train simulator 21 routes that are in train simulator world are NEC Newark,NJ to New Rochelle, NY that requires a merge of North Jersey coast line and Northeast Corridor New York New Haven in train simulator 21 followed by Ruhr-Sieg Nord the whole route is TS21 Hagen-Siegen Brighton Main Line Arosa Line Haputstrecke München Augsburg and Haputstrecke Hamburg-Lübeck. For Hamburg Lubeck TS21 vs TSW2 is the Doppelstockwagen having platform doorsteps because of the high level platforms on Hamburg-Lübeck TS21 unlike TSW2 version which are copy and pasted Main Spessart Bahn Doppelstockwagen sets.

5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This was one of the most interesting routes in Train Simulator. Would love to see it (or something similar) in TSW. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mevans193

It’s possible. In real life NH’s FAs were mostly used on the Maybrook Line, and the PAs on the Shoreline, but occasionally some would make the trip up the Springfield Line, so it’s certainly possible. The benefit of this being a simulator/game and not real life is if someone wanted to make a PA or FA for this route as an add-on they could, and services for it could be more frequent than what would’ve happened in real life.

7. Mevans193

A classic American passenger would be good fun, it’d be great to see streamlined diesels hauling stainless steel coaches in the game. In good time I’m sure we’ll see a route offering this. This particular route would offer some more unique choices as New Haven mostly owned ALCOs and a handful of EMDs. No F7s or E units in sight, so as far as a classic passenger route goes, this one would certainly offer some more unique motive power choices

8. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I must say this is a very interesting route, great job working on this suggestion, I really hope DTG considers such a route, it would be great to see it in TSW!

• Like Like x 1
  9. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The FMs are great. I love FM diesels. Alco PAs are another favorite loco of mine. I would like the route to include a mix of different engines with an FM C-Liner or Alco PA for passenger services, an EMD GP7/9 or Alco RS11 for freights, and an Alco RS3 for switching/local freights. The FL9 is a good idea as well.

• Like Like x 1