New Rio Grand Railroad.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raptorengineer, Apr 1, 2021.

1. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i have question? since DTG can somewhat make Rio Grand content cause they have train Simulator: Western Pacific FP7 ‘California Zephyr’ Loco Add-On and D&RGW F7 Add-On Livery Add-on dose that kinda new rio grande fall under the same line or is it own rail line. here picture what i'm taking about.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1841406

2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

That's the San Luis & Rio Grande. To my knowledge, which has the potential to be wrong, they've ceased operation due to money based issues. And the Rio Grande you're thinking of falls under the Union Pacific License due to the whole UP-SP thing because the Rio Grande and SP started working VERY closely or even merged at some point, but I'm unsure about that. It's weird to me. All I know is that the actual Rio Grande falls under the UP license.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. raptorengineer

ah ok thanks.

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

What happened falls back to the failed SP and SF merger. Due to the failure of that merger, the holding company that then owned the Santa Fe and Southern Pacific had to sell a railroad due to the failed merger.

The Rio Grande ended up buying the Southern Pacific in 1988, but kept the Southern Pacific name. The Rio Grande ended, the SP adopted the Speed Lettering Font, and any DRGW locos that got repainted was painted into SP bloody nose paint, but sublettered for DRGW.

Here's an example of a Rio Grande SD50 that was repainted to SP colors but with the DRGW reporting mark under the locos number.
    5513sl_sp-sd50-tom_fassett.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. raptorengineer

seem the SLRG is still under operation on wiki site 2003-present. look like they bought some Canadian pacific sd90macs and paint them over.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Luis_and_Rio_Grande_Railroad

so question if a railroad ceased operations and gaming company wanted to model it i guess they have to find the person to get the rights even know the company gone.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021