New Route Idea: Csx Andrews And Georgetown Subdivisions.

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by christianwarrior999, Jul 17, 2022.

1. christianwarrior999

christianwarrior999 New Member

I'm a railfan from Georgetown, South Carolina. I grew up watching trains on the CSX Andrews and Georgetown Subdivisions. For a while, I'd been thinking about asking Dovetail Games if they'd think about puting them, as one route combined, in Train Simulator Classic, but I didn't have the guts to do it until now.

Here's some info on the Andrews Sub:
    The Andrews Sub runs from Charleston, South Carolina to Hamlet, North Carolina. It runs for a total of 156 miles. It used to run into Savannah, Georgia, but that part was abandoned in 1967 following the merger between Seaboard Air Line and Atlantic Coast Line. (There was some of it that wasn't abandoned. It was renamed as the Coosaw Sub, but it was sadly abanoned in 1978. Not sure why). The Andrews sub sees mostly coal trains that head to Winyah (When-Yaw) generating station (on the Georgetown Subdivision near Georgetown) and local freight. At Mullins, the Andrews Sub interchanges with RJ Corman's Carolina Lines system, which bough out the Carolina Southern Railroad in 2015, about 2-3 years after they declared bankruptcy (if I remember correctly).

The Andrews Sub passes through a lot of rural communities and serves a variety of industries. Most of the route is dark territory, in other words, un-signalled. As far as I know, there are signals at the approach to Charleston and at Dillon, where it crosses the CSX A Line (South End Subdivision) and heads onto Hamlet.

As for the Georgetown Sub:
    The Georgetown Sub connects with the Andrews Sub in Andrews at a wye track. It runs for a total of 15 miles between Andrews and Georgetown. I'm not sure how long the tracks to Winyah Generating Station are. Like most of the Andrews Sub, the Georgetown Sub is dark territory. There are no signals and all the switches are changed manually. When trains get to the Georgetown yard, they either go to the steel mill or the take the wye track and head to the paper mill (which used to the be the largest paper mill in the world at one time in the past).

What do y'all think of this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. christianwarrior999

All these months later, I forgot to update the article.

During the Seaboard Air Line days, the Hamlet to Andrews section was called the Andrews subdivision, and the Andrews to Charleston (and beyond to Savannah) section was the Charleston subdivision. After the SAL/ACL merger and the creation of SCL, which lead to the Charleston - Savannah portion of the route being abandoned as far as Lobecco. The tracks that were in service towards Lobecco were redesignated as the Coosaw Subdivision. The Coosaw Subdivision was abandoned in 1978. The Andrews subdivision designation was extended to Charleston.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

For heavy freight trains, I'd suggest a CSX ET44AH, ST70AH, SD70ACe, SD70MAC, CM44AC (rebuilt AC4400CW), or C40-8W. For locals/switching, a GP40-2/-3, GP38-2/3, or SD40-2/-3 would be perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. christianwarrior999

Good idea right there.