New To Tsw2020 What's The Lowdown?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bryher, Mar 19, 2020.

1. bryher

bryher New Member

Hi all. Stumbled upon this game as a new xbox one owner. A long time Trainz (Tane, Trs19) fan I jumped on this as part of Gamepass. Seems like it's a great way to leverage the awesome power of the xbox one console. I always find the Trainz simulator games require really high end PCs that I never fully experience the power of those games.

This game looks awesome graphically. But seems like the content might be stale or slow? Absolutely loved the NEC corridor add on.

I see from a recent post asking about new content it's hard to tell when they'll release it.

But In general do you folks feel like this game is worth investing time and money bc it seems like the developer is investing in growing the game? Or is it dying a slow death and noth worth it?

Curious on everyone perspective!

2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

DTG will never let on what it is they're working on and we only find out what it was at announcement time, however, there is a lot of new content that gets produced and released. The game also gets refined and improved upon from time to time. The biggest improvement in recent time (in my opinion) was the addition of head sway in cab view. There are some negatives as well but I'm sure you'll hear all about those eventually or if you make your way through various forum posts.

3. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

There are a few routes in the base game and there are several you can add via paid DLC. New routes and locomotives are released frequently, just look at the Microsoft Store product page (or the in-game store) to see what's available. Keep in mind that a single route can provide many hours of entertainment, if you're into driving trains. For every route you have 5-6 scenarios (pre-set missions basically), a full day's worth of services with a full timetable, the Journey mode which ties all of them together, and even jobs to complete (collectibles to get). You can also free-roam on foot, drive or travel as a passenger in any of the regular services, you can choose your weather, time of day and season. So you can make it pretty varied even on a single route. Getting to know the ins and outs of each locomotive, from basic driving to the more advanced systems can be quite fun, too. So overall it's not just about the number of locations.

At first I criticized the developers for "overpricing" the DLCs and while I still think they would be more popular if they were less expensive, I do understand the value each route represents. I've spent much time with the game already and this is a title you can get out and play any time if you have an hour or a full day. So I'd say this is absolutely a long-term investment, both time- and money-wise.