New Ts Update Dated May 22nd 2022

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by asguard, Jun 2, 2022.

1. asguard

asguard New Member

game play fine untill new 'update' (via steam) whats now rendered my own routes usless and causes crashes when loading them. seems the 'update' (that i couldnt back out of) has ruined all my work and even all my copies of routes that ive extended myself.....i dont suppose this can be undone ?? or anything i can do to the text files that i can edit to 'recover' the now dead routes ??.
    the update didnt say nothing about nacking things up, or any warning that it 'could' screw things up and was just supposedly some tweeks of a couple of trains i dont have on my routes, and a supposed 'fix' to one of the UK lines routes.
    i even restarted my computer but nope.....my own routes not worky :( .

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The 'update' (that i couldnt back out of) happened to Everyone apart from those that play Offline.

Have you validated you files thru the Steam Client?

3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It is very likely 3rd party AntiVirus software blocking the updated TS. As for the .exe and .dlls, the only change is a version number bump, while their filesizes remained unchanged. This triggers some AV programs, because of checksum mismatches. Built-In Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials) has no trouble with the update. For others, you'd have to make exceptions for RailWorks64.exe in the AV settings.

DTG did not change anything in the game code. They are definitely NOT to blame.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2022
  4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

But they are very EASY to blame.. :D

5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Yes. But if you blame someone for everything they're likely to become unresponsive... !

6. asguard

asguard New Member

nowt to do with any AV software nor windows updates, plus all was well until the TS may 22nd (if its not dovetails then whos is it ?) update that when i fired up TS it auto installed via steam. another reason i hate things like steam as when things go wrong they all bounce blame off each other, where as back in normal days of run a dic, install & play, it was all one company.....the main game developer.
    it certainly messed with something as its screwed all my own routes/additions which now are unplayable. tweek updates should not upset other routes to point it breaks stuff as the list of 'fixes' said nothing about potential issues thatg screw the coding elsewhere. it was 'supposed' to be just some slight tweeks to a train or two (non of which are on any of my routes) & a lowered terrain on a river preventing flickering water....again non of which should have caused corruption to other routes files ....but it has. sadly many games 'bug fixes' seem to carry a load of bugs itself, and as for the likes of steam....i have always hated 3rd party merges as it causes this same issue of 'its not us its them' and your fobbed off and batted around in circles all time. so as for blame guys lol, i assure you that the update was indeed a update that was issued VIA dovetail games (i presume they autherised it ??) which puts blame on them & partial to steam for its stupid auto install on things i dont really want that potentially (which it has) fouled up things.

on steam, and what i saw as it was auto installing
    Train Simulator Classic Update - 23rd May 2022
    "The update will download automatically for owners when it becomes available."....this is what installed, but im not getting 'classic' as i didnt buy the classic version, i bought TS2022 and for some odd reason i have 'classic' due to yet another prior 'update' by dovetail via steam which i thought was odd but it worked OK...but erm, how did i end up from TS2022 to classic ?? i didnt buy classic !!...again auto installing, and another main gripe i have with gameing industry & merges with 3rd party things like steam or aerosoft that cause havok like adressed above due to them killing your choice of not wanting the installation or update. and them going ''heres this and your having it installed wether you want it or not''. this is the fault of dovetail for merging with likes of steam....bring back standalone games !!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You have not understood that Rail Simulator, RailWorks, RailWorks 2, TS2012, TS2103, TS2014, TS2015, TS2016, TS2017, TS2018, TS 2019, TS2020, TS2021, TS2022 and TS Classic are all the same game going through updates and they've dropped the annual renaming for good reasons - your post is exactly this reason.

Sheesh, I've bought TS2015 and now it's gone... ;) - Check your Steam library. It's called "Train Simulator" and has been like that for years.

So far, it's working for the majority of people. Probably something with your system is wrong. Playing PC games also requires some basic knowledge of how to maintain your system, otherwise play console games.

Such rants will get you nowhere. And no matter what game, backing up your own work is always mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2022
  8. asguard

asguard New Member

im new to TS-whatever its called this week, as i am with steam as i avoided steam as i never liked its setup and ways.
    i can assure you its nothing to do with my system, im an ex hacker & i repair computers (not in a shop) as well as know a lot of things on computer systems and even trying to get rid of microsoft bloatware/resorce munchers. NOTE:- ive even killed viruses (trojans & rootkits) without any AV software...so i AM knowlegable on systems and computers...probably far greater than you lol.
    i can also assure you its NOT any AV interference and again NOT a windows update as that was weeks back. i CAN tell you that it IS the auto installed update that has killed my routes as well.....it was broken right after that TS update so how is that a computer issue ??.

2) backing up probably wouldnt have worked anyway as it just rewrites over and i'd have still had the auto install after steam detetection of lack of that update and bam ....history repeats itself, so back up wouldnt actually work. and besides we shouldnt need to constantly back things up all the time in fear that an update that installs itself might screw things up...that said using a backup may screw stuff up itself so then that would be MY fault thus excuse to be fobbed off as per lol...at this time its the fault of that update and update alone lol.

thirdly my 'rant'.....well, what does one expect.....a happy party ?, an update autherised by dovetail ruins things which then causes people to be rightfully annoyed (to be frank, my posts are very mild !!), thus have every right to have a rant...and this is not a rant...its a complaint, to which as an end user of a dovetail product thats now kindof half dead caused by an update autherised for TS by dovetail, one has every right to be annoyed....and by annoyed, im been very very mild about this with no abuse, no swearing or anything....just an everyday complaint about a update belonging to/autherised by dovetail thats failed and broken things. so i dont know why you seem to think no-one can be rightfully annoyed....but then again, from reviews on dovetail games (a lot of modern gaming industry is same...profit ??)....it doesnt look great with complaints of been fobbed off and dovetail seemingly failing to take responcibility for issues caused by them and them alone. so really, have YOU ever complained about a product thats not been to standards ??....or perhaps ever been annoyed at a similar thing yourself ??.
    what happened to the 'customer is always right' lol.

9. frank351981

frank351981 Active Member

All we can read is: your edited routes are not working and causes errors/crashes. What kind of errors? Do you have errors at loading the route, or a scenario of that route? Do you use the 64bit version?
    I had read that your backups don´t work too?

I would assume following based on given information:
    You edited the original routes and saved these changes. That´s ok but only to that point DTG brings an update to a route (what was not very often in the past). Don´t know if you know how the files are working in the TS. The routes and assets files are often packed in *.ap archives. When you edit a route all edited files will be saved outside the ap-file and these will be used primarily, the files IN the ap-file secondary when playing a route or scenario When DTG makes an update, the ap-file will be changed. Then your edited files links to changed important original files. Depending what you have changed this can be a problem. For example: if changes are made at tracks this can result in tracks.bin errors.

One solution might be: If you had backuped the whole route-folder (these with alpha-numeric strings) you can put it back in the railworks/content/routes folder. If no update is planed then normally steam should not make an re-install of that route. But if you do a "Steam-Check" for errors (don´t know how steam has named it in englisch) than it will be updating again. You can prevent updates if you run Steam in offline mode (but don´t know how long this will work and you sometimes get several updates at once).

Other solution: you copy your backup back and start TS (with Steam in offline mode). Then you make in the menue of the game a clone of that specific route. After then you can let update TS again with steam in online mode. Now you will have your edited version of that route and the updated route and all should work fine (theoretically).

TS Classic become all users of Train Simulator. There are shops where you can get older versions of TS (for example TS2018), but al these will be updated automatically to the newest version which is now TS Classic. People sometime buys older versions, because they can get at this way some routes that were included with these TS-updates. DTG changed his planes for the yearly updates. Until autumn 2021, TS had become yearly an update that includes name-change (....TS2020 => TS2021 => TS2022). Every year questions came around from users what this means. Especially when new DLC´s came out with TSxx as bundle simultaneously.
    [Here´s an overview what was included in earlier TS-versions https://rail-sim.de/forum/lexicon/entry/56-versionsunterschiede/ ]
    Now it is changed from TS22 to TS Classic. That (name)update becomes everybody for free. TS Classic can get too with some routes. When someone wants these routes (and not had have it), he must buy TS Classic (finally he buys only the routes, because the name "Classic" will he become anyway). If someone had these routes already he can buy TS Classic too, but then he will pay unnecessary money. If somebody only (for example) had two of three included routes, he will only get the missing one. In this case everybody must decide by himself if the price be worthwhile.

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

According to a post from rwaday on the Steam forums, Microsoft released a patch today fixing issues with some GPUs and DX9.

Might be of interest.

11. asguard

asguard New Member

i dont get any error messages at all, i just see on task mgr 'windows error reporting' whatsit then the sim just cuts off. be great if i did get a error code
    and indeed im using 64bit. as for backups, i have them somewhere and havnt tried that as if i did and it screwed things up further then it then be my fault and i would get someone say someting like....'oh well, you ruined it by using backups'....been around forums/gaming things for a long time and have seen such behavour.
    however as last resort ill try the backups depending on when i last backed the files up. i only back up on any MAJOR update or i feel things are gonna screw up. all in all, i dont think backups will work anyway as like i said, steam will auto detect old files and force the offending update again...prior experience elsewhere.
    only things i can try do is see what i can see in my own route files and see if i can rectify anything/save anything....doubt it though, but ive saved them before doing that. this is another reason i dont want to overwrite the files using a backup unless im ready to possibly mess things up further...hence last resort.

as for TS and name changes, i gathered that its just renamed yearly, but didnt expect name/branding to end up back original thus thought i had a different sim type installed. it was also a major update with some 'fixes' from what i remember, but didnt affect anything.

perhaps whats needed is a choice from both dovetail & steam on installation of updates just incase this happens. some of the updates some of us dont actually need anyway, so would be great just to have that choice. sadly under steam we are forced with auto download/install and gubbins we dont need as per with such 3rd party 'launchers'....not to mention all you get for 'rewards' for spends is stupid chidlish 'stickers' lol. but erm, yeah the forced installing of updats need to cease to help prevent such foul ups.

12. asguard

asguard New Member

the GPU & DX aint the issue...what is the issue is a TS update. all was well until the second that update auto installed. the issue is NOT computer related, but mearly an issue caused by a train sim update 'patch'. last thing i want to do is faf about installing stuff i dont need which may cause more problems elsewhere.

13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Be sure that the update did not touch your route - unless you've edited an existing route without cloning first.

You said you're new to TS and already made your own routes?

You came here, slammed the door open and yelled. Yet we don't have any specific information which route is affected in what way.

Hmmm...

• Like Like x 1
  14. asguard

asguard New Member

ive cloned routes ive edited...they are the ones thats dead including my own new ones. i extended the clone of the settle carlisle from settle to leeds and bradford. main originals seem to work...ones ive tested anyway

im relitivly new as from april i think, this year, im also fast learner on route building (simmilar to omsi)...so yeah, im new at it and made a few routes in short space of time. so not so difficult to belive that im new to this game that i can knock out a few routes (own use). and to under estimate me by thinking i know nowt on computers and suggest sticking with consoles ...lol... just to say again so you know....im an ex hacker, so i think very much im more clued up than yourself...just sayin. and you still tried fobbing me off with irrelivent 'fixes' to non existant problems when i made it clear it was the UPDATE that screwed in half the game.
    And if i'd have slammed door open and yelled, trust me...youd know about it. as said i have a right to be annoyed, but this is mild...trust that will you. or do we have to throw a party and clap and cheer in happyness that a product get nacked via a update by the/autherised by same manufactuer. like i say, how am i ment to be/feel...course i was annoyed,....bet you have been yourself ?, cant tell me you never ever wrote a angry complaint in your life lol... and as said this is VERY mild with no abuse/swearing. as an end user i have the right to be annoyed or do we not have that right ?.

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Mr. Ex Hacker. (not impressed by the way)

Yes I've been angry too at times. But I've proven my points so far in each case, down to the responsible game files - in a constructive way.

Can you prove your accusations?

Will the manner in which you are speaking get you anywhere?

I'm out of this, got better things to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2022
  16. asguard

asguard New Member

"Mr. Ex Hacker. (not impressed by the way)"...didnt ask you to be lol, just highlighted it when you thought i didnt have a clue on computer systems and suggested i should "have basic knowledge of how to maintain your system, otherwise play console games." when it wasnt owt to do with maintaining my system at all.

prove accusations as in what caused the issue...yes...as explained game worked few hours earlier, fired TS up and got update....update screwed in the game...wham bam....done.
    as for proving accusations against yourself with me been fobbed off....indeed......thats clear when you misguided me into thinking it was my system and lack of knowlege. also theres a track record with folks been given false info again involving misdirection to stuff to what its not....i even saw a post about how an entire thread should be deleted as it contained inaccurate info on OOM stuff....so theres the proof of that. and theres the reviews of this game of folks that have complained and same done to them with been fobbed off and misdirected.

"Will the manner in which you are speaking get you anywhere".....maybe...maybe not...and as said....wernt that bad. besides i bet its a lot less than most others who suffer similar issues give as far as ive seen so far....people really aint pleased about stuff with this game.

"I'm out of this, got better things to do." meh...dont let door slam on your way out

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problem is you are having a General rant - If the update to TS2022 to TS Classic has "Screwed the game" then there would be a lot more people complaining about it - but there does not seem to be

Most people who come on this sub-forum say "I have a problem with this route/loco/DLC/graphics"
    But all you say is the update broke the game without saying Exactly what the problem is.

You say you know about computers but if somebody came to you and said "Some program does not work as it did" Would you know what to do to help?

[1] Did you verify you game files thru the Steam client as I suggested?

[2] Did you report your problems to the DTG Help Desk?

I am very surprised that you only got Train Simulator in April but you already know how to build and edit routes
    Something that a lot of people who have had the game for years still have problems with
    I can just about change Speeds, Signals and Electrification on a route and I have had the game since TS2012.

And can you fix your spellchecker -

• Like Like x 3