New Tutorials Are Great

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by zorbsie#9738, Sep 3, 2022.

1. zorbsie#9738

zorbsie#9738 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that I really like the new tutorials. No disrespect to Matt and others who have done them in the past, but the new voice actors do a fantastic job. Big fan of the Cajon Pass voice actor.

Also like that there is more detail in the tutorials. I like trains but I don't know everything about them. It's nice to get an overview of the various systems and when to use them in the tutorials. It's good to know what button to press it's better to know why I have to hit that button. :)

Great work DTG. Now back to the game.

• Like Like x 11
  2. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

The new style of tutorial is indeed great. I like it.

However, I have done some of them three times, in order to try to unlock the tutorial trophies (PS5). I got the trophy on Würzburg-Kassel without any problem. For SEHS, I had to make a new account and start all over again, but I got the trophy in the end. For Cajon Pass and the 465 however, no trophies whatever trick I used.

And on Cajon Pass, some of the instructions for setting up the loco are missing.

3. Haldonir

Haldonir New Member

For the tutorial with the ES44C4, it goes through all the steps on how to move the train, except for one vital piece of information that had me absolutely stumped, and that is, "Enable Engine Run Switch", it only tells you to turn on the Generator Field switch, then moves on to the Reverser Handle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thank you, I'll pass this onto the team! We've tried to make them more intuitive, and explain why as well as what.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Any chance of a PZB tutorial?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Haldonir

Haldonir New Member

Thanks, I'm a complete noob to this game, so I literally need my hand held so missing out on one small part can really confuse me. :D

7. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

They've definitely helped me too, as someone who came to Dovetail and had very limited experience with trains!

8. Sproutmask

Sproutmask Active Member

I also very much appreciate the new tutorials, which are a huge improvement over previous iterations and generally very clear. One thing that I think should be covered in a little more detail is how to recover each train from an emergency stop or other error - this is different for each train and not always something you can figure out intuitively. The difficulty some people, myself included, with getting the ICE1 back up and running is a case in point, and it would be great to have specific instructions.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Haldonir

Haldonir New Member

Unfortunately I have come across a couple more things, very vague in fact. There was a tutorial where it teaches you how to start from an incline, and where you have to turn on PTT. My understanding was, it was not something that needed to be turned on to provide power, so I totally dismissed that on the next scenario, and, I was legit getting so frustrated. I had to resort to a dev video, thankfully posted on youtube, where the guy was like, ok, we need to turn this on, or were not going anywhere "Immediately I facepalmed"

The other thing I discovered was the instructions for Dynamic Braking, needs more information, I didn't know it was a reverse to the power meter for the train.